Contact us

Tour de France 2017

esc87fan

l31478-tour-de-france-logo-39267.png

The 2017 Tour gets started Saturday, July 1 in Düsseldorf and finishes in Paris on July 23, so I thought this would be a great place for us cycling fans to talk about the race!

Who are you cheering for to take the victory this year?

JChan

I personally want Richie Porte to win this year, but after that disappointing opener from him I'm honestly not to sure. Rough conditions today too, crashes are always tough to watch. Tour looks fantastic this year though, I always find this region of Europe so stunning!!

JamieBrown

I wouldn't mind a frenchmen to win, but I don't see Romain Bardet this far already. Maybe in a few years he can end this historic pattern. If he, Pierre Rolland, Thibaut Pinot and maybe legendary Thomas Voeckler could win one or two stages, or one each, it would be great. Then Rolland and Pinot could also win the polka-dot jersey if their GC ambitions will be destroyed soon.

Probably it's time for Nairo Quintana to win the whole thing. But please not Froome again, just for a fresh sight.

esc87fan

Top 5 of GC after Stage 3

1. :uk: Geraint Thomas (Team Sky) 10h 00' 31"
2. :uk: Chris Froome (Team Sky) +12"
3. :au: Michael Matthews (Team Sunweb) +12"
4. :sk: Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) +13"
5. :no: Edvald Boasson Hagen (Dimension Data) +16"

Current Classification Leaders
Yellow Jersey: :uk: Geraint Thomas (Team Sky)
Green Jersey: :de: Marcel Kittel (Quick-Step)
Polka-Dot Jersey: :us: Nathan Brown (Cannondale-Drapac)
White Jersey: :fr: Pierre Latour (AG2R La Mondiale)
Teams Classification: :uk: Team Sky

JamieBrown

Bora did everything right with signing Sagan xclap I just hoped Degenkolb, Boasson Hagen or Kristoff would be in better shape to fight with Sagan about the green jersey. All I want is a little excitement, even if the winner stays the same. Now the last remaining hope probably is Matthews.

esc87fan

NEWS FROM STAGE 4:

Arnaud Démare (FDJ) wins the stage, also moving into the lead in the points classification. Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data) suffered a nasty crash near the finish line after taking an elbow from Peter Sagan, and has gone to hospital for observation. Geraint Thomas (Team Sky) remains in yellow going into the Tour's first summit finish in the Vosges

Sagan was initially docked 30 seconds and 80 points in the green jersey competition, but upon further review of the incident the race officials have decided to disqualify him from the rest of the Tour citing serious endangerment of another rider

UPDATE at 18:54 EDT (00:54 CET): Cavendish abandons with a broken shoulder

JamieBrown

I watched the images like three times now and as I thought in first instance a disqualification might be justified, now I'm not that certain. Also André Greipel who first claimed Sagan to be excluded said after watching the videos that a disqualification is too hard, plus the victim (Cavendish) claims the situation is "usual, during a race".

In the end, there's Sagan elbowing Cavendish, but the sprinter's are always trying everything possible to keep their positions and to make a few extra-meters against the others. We've so many "bad boys", including Cav himself, during the Tour. I think to remove Sagan from today's points lists and set him on the last place would've been justified. Maybe even a points reduction like in the first decision would've been okay. At least that was a better decision than the final one. Not a biggest fan of Sagan always winning as I said, but this has gone a little tooo far imo.

esc87fan

STAGE 5: VITTEL -> LA PLANCHE DES BELLES FILLES

An exciting opener to the mountain battles this year! Italian road race champion Fabio Aru (Astana) attacked with about 2 kilometers to go to take the stage win. Dan Martin (Quick-Step) finished second, while Chris Froome (Team Sky) outgunned his former teammate Richie Porte (BMC) for third. It was enough to put him into the race lead

Classification Leaders after Stage 5
General: :uk: Chris Froome (Team Sky)
Mountains: :it: Fabio Aru (Astana)
Young Rider: :uk: Simon Yates (Orica-Scott)
Team: :uk: Team Sky

esc87fan

STAGE 5: VITTEL -> LA PLANCHE DES BELLES FILLES

An exciting opener to the mountain battles this year! Italian road race champion Fabio Aru (Astana) attacked with about 2 kilometers to go to take the stage win. Dan Martin (Quick-Step) finished second, while Chris Froome (Team Sky) outgunned his former teammate Richie Porte (BMC) for third. It was enough to put him into the race lead, 12 seconds ahead of his teammate and super-domestique Geraint Thomas, Aru now leaps to third another 2 seconds back.

Classification Leaders after Stage 5
General: :uk: Chris Froome (Team Sky)
Mountains: :it: Fabio Aru (Astana)
Young Rider: :uk: Simon Yates (Orica-Scott)
Team: :uk: Team Sky

JChan

I think to remove Sagan from today's points lists and set him on the last place would've been justified. Maybe even a points reduction like in the first decision would've been okay. At least that was a better decision than the final one. Not a biggest fan of Sagan always winning as I said, but this has gone a little tooo far imo.

I agree wholeheartedly, I think Sagan does deserve some punishment for his actions, but a DQ is too far. I wanna see the best race possible, and irregardless of whether or not I am a fan of Sagan, he played a role in making this race so exciting. I honestly don't think that Cav is at fault here, but maybe that's just my personal bias shinning through.

esc87fan

STAGES 6-8

Marcel Kittel dominated both stages 6 and 7 with back-to-back wins, taking over the points classification. On stage 8, Lilian Calmejane (who rode in a breakaway on stage 3), took the honors

No change in the GC after 8 stages, with Chris Froome still holding on to yellow. Tomorrow's ninth stage should be very decisive and nerve-racking, with several difficult climbs

esc87fan

James and Oliver Phelps, aka the Weasley twins in the "Harry Potter" movies, visited the Team Sky bus this morning in Eymet prior to the start of stage 11 to Pau (won by Marcel Kittel)

19959374_10155676637274873_9007066839989975949_n.jpg

esc87fan

TDF 2017 Final Winners

The Podium

DFc_FWl_YXo_AAfe98.jpg

1. :uk: Chris Froome (Team Sky)
2. :co: Rigoberto Urán (Cannondale-Drapac)
3. :fr: Romain Bardet (AG2R La Mondiale)

greyline1.gif

Yellow Jersey (General Classification)
20170723200719__roxane.png

:uk: Chris Froome (Team Sky) :uk:

greyline1.gif

Polka Dot Jersey (Mountains Classification)
20170723195057__roxane.png

:fr: Warren Barguil (Team Sunweb) :fr:

greyline1.gif

Green Jersey (Points Classification)
20170723195604__roxane.png

:au: Michael Matthews (Team Sunweb) :au:

greyline1.gif

White Jersey (Young Rider Classification)
20170723200109__roxane.png

:uk: Simon Yates (Orica-Scott) :uk:

greyline1.gif

Stage 21 Winner: :nl: Dylan Groenewegen (Lotto NL-Jumbo)
Teams Classification: :uk: Team Sky
Super Combativitiy: :fr: Warren Barguil (Team Sunweb)

Top Bottom