Contact us

Top 3 disappointing entries from your country?

Ezio

Veteran
All time:

1. :fr: 2020 - Tom Leeb - "Mon Alliée"
2. :fr: 2005 - Ortal - "Chacun Pense à Soi"
3. :fr: 1986 - Cocktail Chic - "Européennes"

But honestly, strangely, I think we never sent something really awful. Lots of uninteresting stuff for sure, but nothing horrible
I am still in loove with 2005 and 2020. I even learned the lyrics.

Gwendal

ChaChaLand (without Ryan Gosling :( emoji sadboi)
Not even 2014?
Honestly, any other year, "Moustache" wouldn't have finished damn last - but, hey, locked bottom five for sure.
And it's still less embarrassing than many "songs" we've sent in the eighties. I haven't made a full ranking but I even do not think "Moustache" is in my bottom ten - but not in my top ten anyway :)

Last edited:

Gwendal

ChaChaLand (without Ryan Gosling :( emoji sadboi)
I could go on about disappointing results forever, but the list about disappointing entries is short and simple. A disappointing entry is an entry for which you see a bad result coming before it is even picked in a national final.

1st :at: Winfried - Mona Lisa (1988)

This song is so bad. Probably among the all-time worst of all countries. Deserved 0 points (unlike Thomas Forstner in 1991, a song that I loved). It's disheartening because the stage was glorious and the winner was epic. And we were so meek and ridiculous.

2nd :at: Petra Frey - Für den Frieden der Welt (1994)

We had a national final back then, which wasn't great, but we had better options. I was rooting for Three Girl Madhouse "Solitaire" and Simone "Radio". Petra Frey was a sweet girl with a cheesy bland song about world peace. She is a superstar now in the German schlager scene and quite fierce for her genre. But the song was completely out of place. 1994 was quite peaceful and happy for most parts of the world and this song made no sense. I guess Austria still felt the heat of the war in Yugoslavia, but for me it was unnecessary virtue signalling with no entertainment factor at all.

Whole national final:

Wow, Alfons Haider looks like a hairdressing model for women from 1980's. The best part of the show was Niamh Kavanagh singing her own winning song.

3rd :at: Ric Papilaya - Get alive - get a life! (2007)

ORF was disappointed by the result they pulled out for three years. There were some good reasons for it, like a hopeless semifinal format, televoting only against massive voting blocks, but this song was dead on arrival in any case. Virtue signalling that had no fun, no entertainment. I pity Eric Papilaya, because I rooted for him at Starmania, but this song may have buried his career. His guitarist looked like a baked potato in tinfoil and the dancers gave me cringe spasms. Complete and utter waste of Swarovski crystals. The funniest thing about this entry is that ORF for the first time did a PR tour and they toured the Balkans and Baltics, with this song! I just can't.

Dishonorable mentions: Tie-Break 2004, Natalia Kelly 2013, Vincent Bueno 2020, Tony Wegas 1993

In 2005 I was disappointed that ORF rigged the final for global.kryner and against Alf Poier. Y así wasn't bad, but Good old Europe is dying was amazing. But ORF tried to throw a wrench at Alf Poier with a federal state voting system (every Bundesland had the same voting power), because they are such dogooders. Alf Poier won the public vote by 45.000 votes but was drowned by the scores from the smaller states.
The best scenario could have been:
  • Sending Simone in 1994 (not that good but honest)
  • Sending Petra Frey in 2003 ("This Night Should Never End" was a very enjoyable cliché-eurodance song, but well done eurodance – and it turned to be quite uncommon in the 00s! Also, Alf Poier was a nightmare)
  • Sending Alf Poier in 2005 as "Y Asi" was also bad so, what do you have to lose :)

Ezio

Veteran
I forgot Petra Frey's 2003 attempt. It's so schlager but I don't think it would have done better than Alf Poier. But who knows, it doesn't sound like a flop neither. Iceland and Spain were in the Top 10 back then, and I think she could have beaten them.

Adi025

:fr:

1)1966 "Chez nous"
2)1973 "Sans toi"
3)1987 "Les mots d'amour n'ont pas de dimanche"

LakZaNokte

Oh wow. Would be easier to find 3 that are NOT dissappointing.
But ok, while I struggle with other 2 (too many choices), absolutely the worst entry we ever sent is

1. 2011. Daria - Celebrate - one of the worst things that ever hit ESC

And with that one, I would add

2. 2007.
3. 2008.
- both equaly horrible.

ESC Athens

:gr: (2001 onwards)

Clear winner: 2016 (Argo - Utopian Land)
2nd: 2023 (Victor Vernicos - What They Say)
3rd: 2014 (Freaky Fortune - Rise Up)

Navn Navnes

:no:

2006-Today as this is when i have followed MGP and Eurovision and thus had the posibility of being dissapointed

1 by far 2021 Tix "Fallen Angel" I hate everything about this entry. I was so upset when this won. Loads of better options in the national final. Especially ``Monument`` ``Nordlyset`` and ``Faith Bloody Faith``
2 2010 Didrik Solli-Tangen "My Heart Is Yours" Very uninspired and boring host entry, should have been ``The Dragontower`` or ``Yes Man``
3 2020 Ulrikke "Attention" An ok song, but the national final was a disaster as the voting did not work. Not the best year, but there were a few songs i liked more.

If we include all time Norway has sent a few mediocre songs, though expectations would be lower back in the day, so i would be less dissapointed. Also many older songs i have a soft spot for, even though many of them definetly did not have broad international appeal.

I probably would put 2001 between 2021 and 2010 if i were making an all time top 3 disapointments though.

Last edited:

martin

:no: since 2005 first time i follow Eurovision

1. 2011. Everything with this was wrong. It had nothing with Norwegian music to do. Stella was not singing well and it feels more like a politican choose and a desperate way to stand out. A weak MGP and a horrible winner. I was very happy we flop that year.

2. 2024. Well i don,t like anything about our entry this year. Only good thing is that Gunhild could sing and the stageperformance is good. But the song? Oh dear

3. is very close between 2007 and 2022 but i must go for 2022. We sending some silly Wolf. Yeah the songs was catchy. But i don,t like at all songs like this and how they let Eurovision became a jokecontest and not a song contest. Yeah it gave us a good result. But i want Norway to send the best songs and not trying too much to only go for showsongs.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
All time
:ro: 2023 Theodor Andrei - "D.G.T. (Off and On)"
:ro: 2007 Todomondo - "Liubi, Liubi, I Love You"
:ro: 2000 Taxi - "The Moon"

Since I started watching (2009)
:ro: 2023 Theodor Andrei - "D.G.T. (Off and On)"
:ro: 2015 Voltaj - "De la capăt"
:ro: 2018 The Humans "Goodbye"

After our disqualification in 2016, everything went downhill (bar Yodel and Llamame) :lol:

Top Bottom