Contact us

Top 3 disappointing entries from your country?

HarryUK

Veteran
Oh girl I'd need about 5 working days to even BEGIN but I'll do it from when I first started to watch the contest in 2005:

#1 :uk: 2010 | Josh Dubovie - That Sounds Good To Me
This was just a fucking disaster from the word go. Cheesy pop song written and produced by an extremely outdated writer and producer (even for 2010), the on stage 'cringe' moments such as the attempts to get the crowd clapping, the staging, the backing vocalists. One big YIKES. All this too after such a strong year for us in 2009...

#2 :uk: 2015 | Electro Velvet - Still In Love With You
For me, Eurovision is meant to reflect the type of music you hear on the radio in your country... what radio station did the BBC think they were mimicking here? Electro Swing gone wrong... everything from the dodgy scatting, to the pound shop light up dress that probably needed a PAT test before taking to the stage. Also the look on the female vocalists face, you'd think she was being forced to do it. Just an utter shitshow.

#3 :uk: 2012 | Engelbert Humperdinck - Love Will Set You Free
Sending Blue in 2011 was one thing, but sending Engelbert was another. On paper the song is OK, but nothing special. There's no real journey you can go on with it, it's very flat and lacks energy, which granted considering the singer's age, is understandable - but that raises the question... the UK has so much young, up and coming talent, why did they almost waste the year with this entry? One size definitely doesn't fit all when it comes to sending has beens. Not to mention Engelbert's general attitude towards the contest was less than ideal...
Apparently already posted here and NOTHING HAS CHANGED

:tr: 2010
:tr: 2011
:tr: 2012

with these outrageous entries i had already given up on Eurovision long before we pulled out
Man has never heard these songs

heke1988

All time:

1. :fi:1992 Pave Maijanen - Yamma Yamma
2. :fi:1982 Kojo - Nuku pommiin
3. :fi:2015 Pertti Kurikan nimipäivät - Aina mun pitää

Gwendal

ChaChaLand (without Ryan Gosling :( emoji sadboi)
All time:

1. :fr: 2020 - Tom Leeb - "Mon Alliée"
2. :fr: 2005 - Ortal - "Chacun Pense à Soi"
3. :fr: 1986 - Cocktail Chic - "Européennes"

But honestly, strangely, I think we never sent something really awful. Lots of uninteresting stuff for sure, but nothing horrible

Looren

Veteran
:ma: not enough songs to do this

:be: (2010 to 2023) :

:be: 2019 (that performance was embarassing)
:be: 2021 (didn't like her voice and thought it was boring)
:be: 2016 (not for me)

Scania

1. :se: 1977 Forbes - "Beatles" - This song is so bad that it's almost a comedic act. The musical arrangement is actually quite nice. However, it is the infantile lyrics that makes it Sweden's worst Melodifestival winner ever, especially since it's about the greatest band of all time.
2. :se: 1987 Lotta Engberg - "Boogaloo" - Lyrics filled with ridiculous clichées accompanied with a "Caribbean" sound... Ugh, this feels like a performance at an all inclusive resort. The lyrics were changed after the final of Melodifestivalen since the chorus mentioned Coca-Cola and a chewing gum brand, making the lyrics even worse.
3. :se: 2017 Robin Bengtsson - "I Can't Go On" - How did this win Melodifestivalen instead of Nano or Jon Henrik Fjällgren?

1. :dk: 2015 Anti Social Media - "The Way You Are" - Bad vocals, cheesy and hollow musical arrangement.
2. :dk: 2009 Brinck - "Believe Again" - The vocal performance was very poor and the song as a whole is so bland.
3. :dk: 2011 A Friend in London - "New Tomorrow" - Should have been disqualified because of plagiarism. The chorus melody is a copy of a Swedish song which copied a Japanese song. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
:il: already wrote
:us: not participating
:de:
1 1997 what were we thinking
2 2000 stop the beer
=3 2019 and 2021 we need to withdraw

MojVoda

:rs: 2016 (Soulless)
:rs: 2017 (Soulless 2.0)
:rs: 2023 (Creative but too much electronic nonsense)

I want to include 2015 and 2019 for representing with very weak songs.

Other than the songs above, Serbia have a very strong portfolio both in the modern day (including Serb/Monte 2004 and 2005) and in the old Yugoslavia days. If that wasn't for the corruption between Serbian head of delegation and EBU, the Serbian entries would have been even more loved today. We would have won again if we had better relations with patipating countries.

All time:

1. :fr: 2020 - Tom Leeb - "Mon Alliée"
2. :fr: 2005 - Ortal - "Chacun Pense à Soi"
3. :fr: 1986 - Cocktail Chic - "Européennes"

But honestly, strangely, I think we never sent something really awful. Lots of uninteresting stuff for sure, but nothing horrible
Not even 2014?

boyardor

:cz: 2009

:cz: 2017

:cz: 2021

I bims

Veteran
I have to clarify, we've send so much garbage and really bad offenders (2021) aren't mentioned because it was a car crash from the get go, so I wasn't disappointed, I was just mad. There was no time to even get my hopes up.
I'm thinking more about songs that we've send in years where we had better alternatives or when the songs had potential but the live performance was bad.

:de: 2019 S!sters - "Sister"
I actually don't hate the song but everything surrounding this was a dumbsterfire. But it still had potential and we blew it. Also we could've had Aly Ryan or Lily Among Clouds instead...

:de: 2022 Malik Harris - "Rockstars"
The whole selection was whack, when we could've had Electric Callboy... and then they even messed up the staging and therefore any shot at an okayish result

:de: 2014 Elaiza - "Is it right"
The song was so boring, the audience only voted for it because they had the underdog storyline and viewers are conditioned by casting shows to root for the underdog, even if they have 0 commercial/ international appeal. There were better options (should've send Unheilig). And Babsi kept calling it an earworm but it took months for me to even just remember parts of the chorus.

lasse braun

:de: 2014 Elaiza - "Is it right"
The song was so boring, the audience only voted for it because they had the underdog storyline and viewers are conditioned by casting shows to root for the underdog, even if they have 0 commercial/ international appeal. There were better options (should've send Unheilig). And Babsi kept calling it an earworm but it took months for me to even just remember parts of the chorus.
they were good,same like the harpgirl and the errorgirl who has gambled in first round and lost.
maybe this song from the same year would have worked better at the ESC?

Scottyandy

Ok keep me covered I am going in:

:uk:
2015 Electro Velvet - Still In Love with You (For the love of God..........................why did we send this????)
2010 Josh Dubovie - That Sounds Good To Me (to this day, I listen to this and cringe, what were we thinking?)
2008 Andy Abraham - Even If (I can only apologize to the rest of Europe for choosing this)

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
I could go on about disappointing results forever, but the list about disappointing entries is short and simple. A disappointing entry is an entry for which you see a bad result coming before it is even picked in a national final.

1st :at: Winfried - Mona Lisa (1988)

This song is so bad. Probably among the all-time worst of all countries. Deserved 0 points (unlike Thomas Forstner in 1991, a song that I loved). It's disheartening because the stage was glorious and the winner was epic. And we were so meek and ridiculous.

2nd :at: Petra Frey - Für den Frieden der Welt (1994)

We had a national final back then, which wasn't great, but we had better options. I was rooting for Three Girl Madhouse "Solitaire" and Simone "Radio". Petra Frey was a sweet girl with a cheesy bland song about world peace. She is a superstar now in the German schlager scene and quite fierce for her genre. But the song was completely out of place. 1994 was quite peaceful and happy for most parts of the world and this song made no sense. I guess Austria still felt the heat of the war in Yugoslavia, but for me it was unnecessary virtue signalling with no entertainment factor at all.

Whole national final:

Wow, Alfons Haider looks like a hairdressing model for women from 1980's. The best part of the show was Niamh Kavanagh singing her own winning song.

3rd :at: Ric Papilaya - Get alive - get a life! (2007)

ORF was disappointed by the result they pulled out for three years. There were some good reasons for it, like a hopeless semifinal format, televoting only against massive voting blocks, but this song was dead on arrival in any case. Virtue signalling that had no fun, no entertainment. I pity Eric Papilaya, because I rooted for him at Starmania, but this song may have buried his career. His guitarist looked like a baked potato in tinfoil and the dancers gave me cringe spasms. Complete and utter waste of Swarovski crystals. The funniest thing about this entry is that ORF for the first time did a PR tour and they toured the Balkans and Baltics, with this song! I just can't.

Dishonorable mentions: Tie-Break 2004, Natalia Kelly 2013, Vincent Bueno 2020, Tony Wegas 1993

In 2005 I was disappointed that ORF rigged the final for global.kryner and against Alf Poier. Y así wasn't bad, but Good old Europe is dying was amazing. But ORF tried to throw a wrench at Alf Poier with a federal state voting system (every Bundesland had the same voting power), because they are such dogooders. Alf Poier won the public vote by 45.000 votes but was drowned by the scores from the smaller states.

Ezio

Veteran
:es: 2006
:es: 2017
:es: 2018

Spain 2017 raged me out. I still can sing Contigo by heart and they broke her dreams and those of millions of Eurofanses.

Top Bottom