Contact us

The disappointing results of metal entries

Fluke

I'm not really a metal fan, and even in Eurovision i tend to find rock bands out of place overall - even so, i've been a big supporter of the respective metal entries in the last two years, and of course disappointed by the result.

When Ukraine chose O.Torvald, i thought it was an incredibly bold move for a country associated with pretty much one particular type of entry, and they did it RIGHT! For a while i really thought they might do the impossible and win two years in a row, against all odds, but the lead vocals failed in the final performance, and the result was no shock in the end. But still, it was the best metal entry since Turkey 2010, who of course came second place, a feat nobody came close to since.

Then this year, of course, AWS rocked the house - despite almost being last in odds charts, i seriously thought that they would bring the contest home, and even the not-usually--rock-digging Wiwibloggs team put them in the top 5 contenders to win. And boy, they DELIVERED! The song is the perfect culmination of metal in the ESC format, structurally similar to the previous year's effort but at once poppier and more brutal, and even being non-English doesn't seem to be a barrier, as even many non-Eurofans seemed to be affected by the emotion of the song. Their highly visual performance was one of the highlights in a night of one disappointing performance after another. And yet.... what happened? :eek:

When the juries ranked them so low, i gave up hoping, i knew they wouldn't get high televote points either. Sure i had other favorites, and i was thankful to God that Cyprus didn't win, but i just don't get why didn't Hungary do better? Both of these entries didn't even make the top 20.

Why are metal entries hardly getting any points, when it worked in 2010 and several times before that? Obviously it's down to the individual entries and their performance on the big night, but i got a feeling that wasn't the reason here. Has everyone who apprecciates metal stopped watching, or just gotten to appreciate other genres enough not to care for these entries? Has the attitude to musical variety and the preferences of staging changed so much since? Why do you think they both ended up so low?

Realest

Well, O.Torwald sounded a bit like a Linkinpark B-Side and the male vocalist had bad vocals. 24th is still too bad, but not surprising. He wouldnt have qualified if he competed in the Semi. But in my eyes its not even metal btw.

AWS Results was actually a Surprise. Even the Televote was a huge Surprise regarding that the only big Points came from the Hungarians who live in the Neighbourcountries. Maybe it was a bit too hard for Eurovisionfans.

Turkey 2010 had a great vocalist and had universe Appeal, so it worked (even outside the Countries with big turkish Population).

Finand 2008 is missing in this list.. But this Song didnt have a strong composition and the finnish language is the most unpronouncable Language in the World, so it didnt work well. But the Final-Qualification was success enough I guess.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
The vocalist of O. Torvald was as charismatic as my broken nail so i'm not surprised by the result, even though i like the song.

But if you told me a month ago that AWS would be semi 2's borderline qualifier i would never believe it. i'm shocked they did so low in the televote and being below top 20 overall. I expected at least a top 5, even top 10.

I know juries are not open to the genre, idk why. Even Turkey 2010, who finished 2nd, was almost out of juries' top 10. Which makes me sure of that: Lordi only won because it was in a 100% televoting system. And afaik most of the rock entries did better in this system.

Too bad.

mauve

Veteran
I'm not really a metal fan, and even in Eurovision i tend to find rock bands out of place overall - even so, i've been a big supporter of the respective metal entries in the last two years, and of course disappointed by the result.

When Ukraine chose O.Torvald, i thought it was an incredibly bold move for a country associated with pretty much one particular type of entry, and they did it RIGHT! For a while i really thought they might do the impossible and win two years in a row, against all odds, but the lead vocals failed in the final performance, and the result was no shock in the end. But still, it was the best metal entry since Turkey 2010, who of course came second place, a feat nobody came close to since.

Then this year, of course, AWS rocked the house - despite almost being last in odds charts, i seriously thought that they would bring the contest home, and even the not-usually--rock-digging Wiwibloggs team put them in the top 5 contenders to win. And boy, they DELIVERED! The song is the perfect culmination of metal in the ESC format, structurally similar to the previous year's effort but at once poppier and more brutal, and even being non-English doesn't seem to be a barrier, as even many non-Eurofans seemed to be affected by the emotion of the song. Their highly visual performance was one of the highlights in a night of one disappointing performance after another. And yet.... what happened? :eek:

When the juries ranked them so low, i gave up hoping, i knew they wouldn't get high televote points either. Sure i had other favorites, and i was thankful to God that Cyprus didn't win, but i just don't get why didn't Hungary do better? Both of these entries didn't even make the top 20.

Why are metal entries hardly getting any points, when it worked in 2010 and several times before that? Obviously it's down to the individual entries and their performance on the big night, but i got a feeling that wasn't the reason here. Has everyone who apprecciates metal stopped watching, or just gotten to appreciate other genres enough not to care for these entries? Has the attitude to musical variety and the preferences of staging changed so much since? Why do you think they both ended up so low?

I am actually a metalhead and enjoy most of the rock Songs, some more, some less. My most favorite so far were Mor ve Ötesi' s Deli and AWS for sure. And to be honest, I have absolutely no answer for the question why AWS didn't do well this year, especially with the juries. From everywhere you could hear that sometimes even People who usually don't listen to this genre liked this song. So there will be a huge questionmrak. Maybe it was really too hard? For People who aren't used to Metal, the singer might have screamed. But to me, it was a hell of a show. I know that it will remain one of the ESC-Songs that I will never forget and also keep listening to. I just hope that countries don't get discouraged and will send rock/metal entries to ESC. I like the variety. :D

Realest

Turkey was at least 8th which is somehow acceptable although they deserved a bit better I think.
2006 Bosnia would have won with Juries since Lordi was only 10th in the Juryvoting I read somewhere.

mauve

Veteran
The vocalist of O. Torvald was as charismatic as my broken nail so i'm not surprised by the result, even though i like the song.

But if you told me a month ago that AWS would be semi 2's borderline qualifier i would never believe it. i'm shocked they did so low in the televote and being below top 20 overall. I expected at least a top 5, even top 10.

I know juries are not open to the genre, idk why. Even Turkey 2010, who finished 2nd, was almost out of juries' top 10. Which makes me sure of that: Lordi only won because it was in a 100% televoting system. And afaik most of the rock entries did better in this system.

Too bad.

Actually as a Rock-Fan I didn't like Lordi. And I don't believe that they won because of their song, but because they presented themselves as Freaks.;)

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Actually as a Rock-Fan I didn't like Lordi. And I don't believe that they won because of their song, but because they presented themselves as Freaks.;)

it's a possibility since many people can see it as a ~joke act~
but it was my 1st that year so i don't mind haha

mauve

Veteran
My wish for this upcoming ESC-year: that there will be at least one Hard Rock/Metal entry that will go to Israel … couldn't imagine an ESC without a rocking number. :mrgreen:

Mainshow

Veteran
As a huge fan of Symphonic Metal/Gothic/Pagan Folk, I would love to get another alternative (rock) entry.

Finland 2008 deserved to end up being Top 15,
Czech Republic 2007 didn't deserve to end up being last. Based on the competition in that poor year, they should have qualified easily.
Ukraine 2017 was a great entry! One of the finest entries from Ukraine.. voted for it a few times. Top 10 material.
Hungary 2018 was robbed by the juries. Winning material, tbh.

Hope to see Within Temptation for the Netherlands and Beyond The Black for Germany someday.

midnightsun

Veteran
Well, I AM a huge metal fan but I honestly don’t like most of the songs that were supposed to be metal.
Most of them are not so well received in Eurovision because they are not mainstream metal enough.
Imho Lordi did just win because of their show and their popularity amongst metalheads who probably found it funny to vote for them despite not being the classic Eurovision audience (and probably have never watched Eurovision again after that :-D ... look out for Finland again this year ;-)).
I would appreciate a really good Rock (doesn’t need to be metal) song but there mostly haven’t been any.
Manga was a good example how to bring mainstream metal to Eurovision but most of the other rock entries were just noise that even I as a metal fan didn’t like much...

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Even if some of them are just noise like you said, the lack of success of rock/metal entries still surprise me as it happens both in the televote and jury.

Honestly, I rarely find someone who doesn't enjoy a rock song, even if it's not the type of music they usually listen to, so how come they don't get more votes from the public ? I understand people are more easily hyped for pop songs, and add to the fact rock fans and metalheads usually don't watch Eurovision but still. Some unconventional songs who are much harder to connect to can be voted in by the public, so why not rock. Give it some love !
And don't start me on the jury who kinda robbed Hungary last year. (However they pleasantly gave points to Albania)

Hope to see Within Temptation for the Netherlands and Beyond The Black for Germany someday.
Gosh, you don't know how much I'd love to see that.

Fluke

Do you think we can see a trend of rock entries now, with Italy winning, Finland 6th and Portugal 12th (who expected that?!?) or is it a one-off?

burrito

Next year for sure. There will be at least two. What would be deciding is the quality and presence of the entries, because this year we were lucky to got not one, but two songs with unpararelled energy and polished performances coming from charismatic bands with a very good stage presence and good looks. Plus both Dark Side and Zitti e Buoni are memorable and catchy, easy to sing along to. Those are things which were lacking in the previous, recent rock entries - vide O. Torvald with unconvincing performance or Highway lacking energy and having a mess of a song. AWS delivered well but I don't think they were able to convince the public with the song itself (I hate to say this but I think Viszlat Nyar could have benefited from having lyrics in English).
If in 2022 at least one rock/metal song manages to reach the level of Maneskin and Blind Channel then I think we're in for a bigger trend for awhile.

Top Bottom