Boys do cry
And how they cry

Mountains they crumble
And rivers, they run dry
And oh-oh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Boys do cry

midnightsun

Veteran
Although I do worry about it’s chances if Bulgaria only managed like 30 televote points last year with a similar (and arguably more emotional) song

The overall mood last year was different. Everybody was hyped after a cancelled year and this reflected in the songs we had. Lots of bops and bangers, raw rock music, artistic ballads… everything that made people get up and enjoy life again, party, distraction.

This year it’s complete the opposite. Everybody is tired after years of pandemic, the ongoing war, the mood is chastened. So are so songs. Melancholic, dealing with personal issues.

Last year this would have been a sure NQ. This year I think it has a real chance. Although it could happen of course that it gets thrown under the bus in this mash of heavy-hearted songs.

marty

The overall mood last year was different. Everybody was hyped after a cancelled year and this reflected in the songs we had. Lots of bops and bangers, raw rock music, artistic ballads… everything that made people get up and enjoy life again, party, distraction.

This year it’s complete the opposite. Everybody is tired after years of pandemic, the ongoing war, the mood is chastened. So are so songs. Melancholic, dealing with personal issues.

Last year this would have been a sure NQ. This year I think it has a real chance. Although it could happen of course that it gets thrown under the bus in this mash of heavy-hearted songs.
It is not a bad song in my eyes. I think the reason for the negative responses is that many are fed up with those kind of songs and the second reason is the disappointed high expectations after three very strong swiss entries.
There are not many uptempo songs this year, I think their chances are higher.

Marite

I do think that people are being overly harsh with this song. It reminds me of Victoria's songs from the last two years and while I wasn't a fan of her songs at all, I could still recognize that they were still well-made and well-sung. I'm also not a big fan of this song and wouldn't listen to it on repeat or anything, but it's not terrible musically.

I'm just glad that there aren't too many comments about the song being in English in this forum, they annoy me so much everywhere else. "Aww, this would have been so much better in French or Italian, blablabla". People like to forget that people from the different regions of Switzerland veeeeery rarely listen to music in the other national languages, or even their own first language, and would rather listen to English music. Brividi and Zitti e Buoni were like the first Italian song in ages that made it into the Swissgerman charts.

Anyway, I wasn't in the internal jury again this year after being in it for the last three entries, so at least nobody can blame me if the song does end up being a NQ :ROFLMAO:

Miloutchi

I have thought a bit more about it and I came to the conclusion that I don’t hate it, because it is the kind of song I like. So it is probably still high in my ranking, but I just think it could have been so much better and I don’t love it, even though I should have. It just misses something special and the random “ooohs” feel just weird. I keep waiting forever for him to sing another word and then the other word just feels meaningless and after 2 minutes I already want to put on another song.

Zerocalcare

"Boys Do Cry" created mixed emotions in me. I don't mind the sound and the singing and the lyrics, a true hymn to toxic masculinity are powerful. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that "something" is missing, actually lacking bite. Anyone who thinks this song has potential is wrong. The judgment may have been clouded by Switzerland's strong performance in recent years. This song COULD HAVE potential only if it is accompanied by a memorable stage performance or... it can at most aspire to access to the final (because the musical genre in question has its own niche, a part of the public who will vote for it will certainly be there).

"Boys Do Cry" brings to mind some affinities to other songs. Georgieva's "Growing Up Is Getting Old", Schulte's "You Let Me Walk Alone" and Sobral's "Amar Pelos Dois". When some fans talk about affinity it is not to belittle or to say that someone else invented the musical genre before, it is just a yardstick to try to explain concepts that would otherwise be abstract. Especially with Schulte's song and Sobral's song, "Boys Do Cry" could share the same fate of being underestimated at first but then bursting into fans' hearts during the main event. However, I repeat, Marius will have to work a lot on the stage performance.

For the moment my vote is a 0. I'm not talking about poor quality but now I don't see it in my Top 10. I like to have a different relationship with the entries than other fans, after having listened to a song it is rare that I shoot in high in the rankings because my judgment is clouded by the initial excitement. Instead, I always give it a lower grade and keep keeping an eye on the song, waiting for it to creep into me and let me feel all its strength. Let's see what happens. For the moment, welcome to Turin Switzerland!

Loindici

Veteran
Now I know why "Boys Do Cry" feels familiar: It's like those songs you hear in a sad life montages of a Disney/PIXAR animated movie.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Me totally forgetting to post my opinion or vote in the poll is the epitome of this song for me. First the whole 'boys do cry' thing is just the levels of eyeroll I got with that MF song 'Boys with emotion' or whatever it was called. It's just so totally meh. I mean as a little ballad goes, it's not too bad but the slightly dated (almost disney) vibe i'm getting, the lyrics and his voice is just making me want to sue Switzerland in order to get my 3 minutes back. I feel like if Sheldon from Australia sung this he'd be dramatically taking his mask off as his hands shake and barely being able to hold it together. It's just... there and providing not a whole lot of anything at all tbh :2:

Realest

Unfortunately the Article is behind a Paywall, but apparently Marius is aiming for the Victory.

midnightsun

Veteran
Well, I think this will do better in Turin than with the forum members here. I myself don’t like the song that much but I guess a lot of the tv audience will have a Salvador Sobral moment and vote for this. But, like I said, Sobral had an amazing staging and I don’t think Bear can repeat that success on such a high level. But I have no doubts this is a qualifier at least.

Lance Esgard

Do boys cry when they get Nul Points? Because that may well be this entry's fate. I don't see this entry getting enough support to be able to qualify. Personally it isn't for me, but I also don't think there are enough people out there who will vote for it to see it through.

crashworld

Veteran
Now I know why "Boys Do Cry" feels familiar: It's like those songs you hear in a sad life montages of a Disney/PIXAR animated movie.

Yes. It actually reminded me for Pinocchio for some reason. There is this very old-school classic quality to the song.

Chorizo

Another nice, slow, and somewhat cheesy song, for once performed by a man, which makes it stand out a little in the sea of female ballads that is 2022.
7 points.

Ezio

Veteran
Secret pleasure :12:

• La La Love
Reactions: Rob
Top Bottom