5 1.9%

2 0.8%

15 5.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Realest

And if we believe Crystal Ball (and they have been quite accurate lately), heats 2 and 3 will be even more tragic.

UMK and even MGP Norway have surpassed Melodifestivalen lately (in terms of quality).

Please dont exaggerate. Even though :se: might have had a bad Day in their Life, they are still the nordic Powerhouse.

:no: and :fi: might have a good run, but theres still a long Way to go.

FVyQeaqWUAUXUOm

Mainshow

Veteran
Please dont exaggerate. Even though :se: might have had a bad Day in their Life, they are still the nordic Powerhouse.

FVyQeaqWUAUXUOm

I don´t exaggerate.
Sweden is still the powerhouse of Eurovision (no one was questioning Sweden´s success at Eurovision) - there´s no doubt about that and they somehow managed to make the best and most competitive song(s) win (arguably, a few were left behind like "Bulletproof").

Just when it comes to the overall national finals, I preferred UMK to Melodifestivalen three years in a row and Melodi Grand Prix also picked up lately.

A-lister

Veteran

FVyQeaqWUAUXUOm

We are, but it doesn't change the fact that Melodifestivalen becomes worse and worse. Sure, usually there are a couple of strong (strong enough) entries there and thus we still manage good in Eurovision, but it's just frustrating to see the overall decline and eventually it will backfire which we already saw with Tusse and Benjamin, so it's just a matter of time until there will really come nothing good out of Melodifestivalen at all and we will start to NQ, therefore it is important to address the constant decrease in quality and good options from there. SVT is just lazy in relying on a couple of good options among plenty of turds, and some of us might miss the days when Melodifestivalen was an event in itself.

LoveHate

If the song and singing is at least somewhat competent, I fully expect Maria Sur to go straight to the final. The public would have sent a mid-tempo snoozefest to ESC last year, sung by a man with stage fright who likes dogs. It was all about him as a person.

FilipFromSweden

Like I say every year, you can subjectively dislike the Melfest songs or whatever, fact is that the Swedish music industry is very pop-based and thus based on topping charts. Based on that fact Melfest is doing really well, as the lowest number of streams for a finalist last year was 3.1 million and the highest is 44 million (Spotify alone). Sure, Melodifestivalen used to be a little more unique and crazy 10 years ago, but I can't complain when there's (subjectively) good pop music being presented

A-lister

Veteran
Like I say every year, you can subjectively dislike the Melfest songs or whatever, fact is that the Swedish music industry is very pop-based and thus based on topping charts. Based on that fact Melfest is doing really well, as the lowest number of streams for a finalist last year was 3.1 million and the highest is 44 million (Spotify alone). Sure, Melodifestivalen used to be a little more unique and crazy 10 years ago, but I can't complain when there's (subjectively) good pop music being presented

Why are you misleading our foreign friends again? :lol:

Sweden is a Pop powerhouse sure, but trust me guys the Swedish music scene isn't reflected well in Melodifestivalen and hasn't been like forever, at least back in the day Melodifestivalen was its own little Schlager bubble and added something to our scene, these days it is just a dated Pop fest and has little to do with how our music scene looks like, nor does it add anything to it.

There is difference between Pop and Pop.

Deleted member 12761

I liked Melfest 2022. It wasn't perfect but it had some cute bops. This year is pretty bad so far but we still have to hear some songs. Overall I agree, Melfest used to be more exciting in the past. When it comes to the Nordic countries Norway has taken the crown for me. Melodi Grand Prix 2023 was really good imo. I liked so many songs in their selection. Sweden needs to change the formula a bit.

DanielLuis

The problem with Melodifestivalen is glaringly obvious for anyone to see.

It has turned into a closed circlejerk where the same 5 or 6 people get invited to basically compose and produce all the 28 entries year after year after year. And those entries are always given to the same set of 30 artists or so that take turns competing every couple of years.

And to makes thing worse, those same 5/6 composers all produce the same type of music that belongs to the same closed set of accepted genres. Add to that the fact that the 10% or so of different and original artists/composers that get invited each year are obviously told to modify their usual style to fit with what is expected of MF, instead of being able to do their own genuine stuff, and 90% of the songs end up sounding like each other.

It's insane how they receive upwards of 2000 entries every year, more than double that of the 2nd NF that receives more songs, and it's all so stale and somehow the same team of composers ends up being selected to write 70% of entries every year. It's literally impossible that there hasn't been better proposals by different people over the years.

The whole thing reeks of nepotism. Or not exactly nepotism, but you have to be in the closed circuit of people jerking off SVT and the Melfest producers in order to have a shot at being invited into the competition.
And the result of this is becoming more and more obvious as each year passes by - these composers are getting outdated and out of touch with what is actually popular, not only at Eurovision but also at the Swedish market overall. And they just don't have the creative juice to keep manufacturing 39485495 good songs every year in generic forced songwriting camps.

This trend will only change if one of two things happen: The ratings and popularity of MF absolutely plummet and/or a NQ at Eurovision happens. SVT really deserves a NQ to get a kick up their arse and to shift things around in the Melodifestivalen format before it's too late, like what happened in the early 2010s.

Realest

:se: is one of the few Countries that constantly delivers and has a NF with 5-6 good Songs that could do well at ESC and therefore is the last Country that deserves a NQ.

A-lister

Veteran
The problem with Melodifestivalen is glaringly obvious for anyone to see.

It has turned into a closed circlejerk where the same 5 or 6 people get invited to basically compose and produce all the 28 entries year after year after year. And those entries are always given to the same set of 30 artists or so that take turns competing every couple of years.

And to makes thing worse, those same 5/6 composers all produce the same type of music that belongs to the same closed set of accepted genres. Add to that the fact that the 10% or so of different and original artists/composers that get invited each year are obviously told to modify their usual style to fit with what is expected of MF, instead of being able to do their own genuine stuff, and 90% of the songs end up sounding like each other.

It's insane how they receive upwards of 2000 entries every year, more than double that of the 2nd NF that receives more songs, and it's all so stale and somehow the same team of composers ends up being selected to write 70% of entries every year. It's literally impossible that there hasn't been better proposals by different people over the years.

The whole thing reeks of nepotism. Or not exactly nepotism, but you have to be in the closed circuit of people jerking off SVT and the Melfest producers in order to have a shot at being invited into the competition.
And the result of this is becoming more and more obvious as each year passes by - these composers are getting outdated and out of touch with what is actually popular, not only at Eurovision but also at the Swedish market overall. And they just don't have the creative juice to keep manufacturing 39485495 good songs every year in generic forced songwriting camps.

This trend will only change if one of two things happen: The ratings and popularity of MF absolutely plummet and/or a NQ at Eurovision happens. SVT really deserves a NQ to get a kick up their arse and to shift things around in the Melodifestivalen format before it's too late, like what happened in the early 2010s.

Spot on!

And yes, the correct word for it is cronyism and it's very much what Melodifestivalen is.

FilipFromSweden

Why are you misleading our foreign friends again? :lol:

Sweden is a Pop powerhouse sure, but trust me guys the Swedish music scene isn't reflected well in Melodifestivalen and hasn't been like forever, at least back in the day Melodifestivalen was its own little Schlager bubble and added something to our scene, these days it is just a dated Pop fest and has little to do with how our music scene looks like, nor does it add anything to it.

There is difference between Pop and Pop.
Ofc there’s outdated shit in Melfest. That’s like the whole point of it almost. It’s ”folkligt” - it builds on what people already love and consume in a broad sense. You think it was the platform for fresh music in 2005? lol

I think plenty of Melfest finalists reflect modern pop music. Maybe not Beyoncé or Harry Styles but it’s like siblings of Ava Max and P!nk etc. I don’t think Hold Me Closer, I Can’t Get Enough, Voices, Every Minute, Jag Behöver Inte Dig Idag or Bulletproof were unmodern songs in any way. Then there’s been songs ahead of it’s time like Loreen’s Euphoria or Jenny Silver’s Need A Place To Stay

A-lister

Veteran
Ofc there’s outdated shit in Melfest. That’s like the whole point of it almost. It’s ”folkligt” - it builds on what people already love and consume in a broad sense. You think it was the platform for fresh music in 2005? lol
Hence I wrote that it always been dated (compared to current music trends at least), BUT the difference back then is that Melodifestivalen at least had its own niche within the Swedish music scene and dated or not, the quality was also higher, so it served some purpose. I can't say it's the same now...
I think plenty of Melfest finalists reflect modern pop music. Maybe not Beyoncé or Harry Styles but it’s like siblings of Ava Max and P!nk etc. I don’t think Hold Me Closer, I Can’t Get Enough, Voices, Every Minute, Jag Behöver Inte Dig Idag or Bulletproof were unmodern songs in any way. Then there’s been songs ahead of it’s time like Loreen’s Euphoria or Jenny Silver’s Need A Place To Stay
I don't expect Melodifestivalen to invent the wheel, and I am even fine with it being its own little odd bubble on the Swedish music scene, but then it needs to bring something to the table. I would of course prefer it to be more aligned with what the Swedish music scene actually looks like as we later on send songs to Eurovision that at least on paper ought to be a representation of our music.

My response was mere that you make it look like this is how the Swedish music scene actually looks like, and I really have to beg to differ on that one. Yes, Sweden is a big producer of Pop, but not in the way it's reflected in Melodifestivalen. Most of these songwriters don't even have careers outside of Melodifestivalen, and like I said it worked as long as it felt like the songs at least were strong enough or added that kind of "Mello" touch to it, but that isn't even there any longer. Now it's all just milked down, dated generic Pop with nothing, just empty, you can't even remember the songs any longer.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Here are the best songs that ever competed in MF in my lifetime

Deleted member 12761

One of my favorite Melfest acts are Timoteij! Kom and Stormande hav are bops and I still play them when I'm in Eurovision/Melfest mood. To bad the lead singers vocals were weak. I really wanted them to represent Sweden. I also remember Janet Leon with Heartstrings. I loved that song back then.

Realest

The best Songs beside the Winner were imo:

Eric Saade - Every Minute (would have been Top5 at ESC)
Liamoo - Bluffin
Liamoo ft Hanna Ferm - Hold you
Hanna Ferm - Brave
Dotter - Little Tot
Bishara - On my own
Robin Bengtsson - Constellation Prize
Robin Bengtsson - Take a Chance
Benjamin Ingrosso - Good Lovin
Cazzi Opeia - I cant get enough
Danny Saucedo - Dandi Dansa
Danny Saucedo - In the Club
Loreen - Statements
Lisa Ajax - Torn
Lisa Ajax - I dont give a...
Lisa Ajax - My Heart wants me dead
Margaret - In my Cabana
Anna Bergendahl - Higher Power
Lina Hedlund - Victorious
Wiktoria - As I lay me down
Felix Sandman - Boys with Emotions
Anis Don Demina - Vem e som Oss
Anton Ewald - New Religion
Clara Klingenström - Behover inte dig idag
Andreas Johnson - Army of us
Ewa and Eva - Rena rama ding dong

No other NF worldwide gave us so many Pearls in the last few Years.

Last edited:

ArmpitOfEurope

Why has Loreen shortened that much on the Melfest bets?
She had 15% and Maria Sur 14%.

Only coz of this pic of the videoclip??
FoD6SuwXoAEe3gK

Top Bottom