5 1.9%

2 0.8%

15 5.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

alca

Carola will perform this Saturday! Främling, Fångad av en stormvind and Evighet! It's 40 years since Främling! The final of Melodifestivalen 1983 was held in Malmö on February 26th. Couldn't be more appropriate to have Carola perform there. I'm pretty sure they thought of it already when they announced the cities. Here comes another amazing interval act! xcheer

LoveHate

Also, Fångad av en stormvind lead to Eurovision in Malmö 1992.

Hard to believe it’s been 17 years since Evighet. Doesn’t feel like an evighet ago.

alca

Kiana - Where did you go
It's a club song. Out of the 7, this is the most suitable to open the competition. I don't know what the little girl (16) can do in the competition. It is also her first time. Anyway, I like the song. There are points where the vocals become robotic. I would listen to it on the radio. I don't know about Eurovision.

Signe och Hjördis - Edelweiss
The song begins and I think I'm going to listen to Kalle Moraeus. It's in the "traditional" category so to speak. There is a bit of a beat but generally it has violins, accordions (?) etc. Sweet song but that's about it.

Smash into pieces - 6 feet under
Obviously we are talking about a rock song here. It's not my cup of tea but it has its audience and since it's the only one in this genre it can do something more (AC?).

Mariette - One day

It's kind of flat. The chorus comes in, with a certain climax, you think "ok we got something here" and ploop. But there is a climax towards the end and somehow it saves it. I imagine at that point she will play a lot with the lights in the live performance. Better than "For you" and "Shout it out"? Probably yes. But by no means on the same level as "Don't stop believing" and "A million years" (her best entry, for me).

Emil Henrohn - Mera mera mera
Rhythmic piece that reminds me a lot of "Pame" by Daniel Mitsogiannis (2008). I'm not crazy about it.

Axel Schylström - Gorgeous
I didn't expect a ballad from Axel. The chorus has dynamic vocals (by Axel), after the bridge it becomes more dynamic with some powerful vocals by Axel but I'm not a fan of the song. If it's a ballad, it has to be amazing for me to like it.

Loreen - Tattoo
Nice intro. It starts off loose somewhat like Euphoria in the verses and builds up until it goes into the chorus. The way she sings some parts of the verse are a bit reminiscent of "Paper light". Vocally the Loreen we all know. Amazing. It has a bridge with strings which I really like. She sings the word tattoo in a way we've heard it before, like "woo-hoo-hoo," and I can't find a similar song to show you. Hahaha. Anyway. Is it a winning song like Euphoria? No. Can it win Eurovision? Probably yes. The point is, can she win Melodifestivalen?

ESC_Peggy

A few reviews after the press listening are out and they all praise Tattoo - one calling it a eurovision winner even.
  • 1st week the press said Jon Henrik
  • 3rd week the press said Marcus and Martinus
The hype has not been worth it so far.

tsegaye

Hm I can't recall that many people who said Jon Henrik's song was a Eurovision winner... But both Marcus & Martinus and Loreen should be set for at least top 10 in the ESC-final.

empo21

Veteran
I agree. Only alca's review seems to be objective from the ones I've seen.

Fan base reviews seem to be overhyping Loreen, while the more professional ones are keeping it more realistic.

ESC_Peggy

Hm I can't recall that many people who said Jon Henrik's song was a Eurovision winner... But both Marcus & Martinus and Loreen should be set for at least top 10 in the ESC-final.
Air could be performed by Jedward with that song style and choreography. It's only eurovision winner alert because it's Sweden and was totally overhyped by eurofan press IMO.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Loreen - Tattoo
Nice intro. It starts off loose somewhat like Euphoria in the verses and builds up until it goes into the chorus. The way she sings some parts of the verse are a bit reminiscent of "Paper light". Vocally the Loreen we all know. Amazing. It has a bridge with strings which I really like. She sings the word tattoo in a way we've heard it before, like "woo-hoo-hoo," and I can't find a similar song to show you. Hahaha. Anyway. Is it a winning song like Euphoria? No. Can it win Eurovision? Probably yes. The point is, can she win Melodifestivalen?

What is the point of coming back if your entry will be weaker than your winning song? I never understood previous winners trying to compete again, unless they have something groundbreaking. But at this point with MF, beggars can't be choosers fwalfhwafnaf go Loreeeeen

Deleted member 12761

Air could be performed by Jedward with that song style and choreography. It's only eurovision winner alert because it's Sweden and was totally overhyped by eurofan press IMO.
I disagree. It has nothing to do with them being from Sweden. Everyone has dragged Sweden for how weak Melfest this year is. Some even said they wouldn't qualify. The song lacks a strong chorus imo. I agree it's not the best song in the world (still a very strong song tho). But we're not just judging songs at Eurovision. We all know the visuals are also very important and that performance was excellent. It just screamed ready for Liverpool GF.

People need to stop with the Sweden hate btw. It's not Swedens fault that other countries don't take Eurovision serious enough, have weak entries every year etc. Sweden clearly cares about Eurovision and I will always have respect for countries like that. I wish every country was this passionated. They deserve their flowers and I hope Sweden wins again in the near future and kicks Ireland from the throne.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Melodifestivalen has been stale for a while now but the community at large has woken up only this year and karma is catching up with the selection lol. I don't feel like Sweden really cares, rather they've got complacent and are taking their results for granted. They need a humbling moment like 2010 soon.

ArmpitOfEurope

Wow the reviews Tattoo is getting are incredible. Shes now the favourite to win Melfest again with 37% and shes getting a lot of momentum.

theditz83

Veteran
Let's face it, the hype for Loreen was always going to be through the roof with how adored Euphoria still is overall in the fandom (I know not everyone likes it, but it's certainly still got many people's hearts). The contest is in a different place now than it was in 2012, so I wouldn't expect a copy-paste job, but let's wait to hear it for ourselves.

Personal reviews will always be just that - personal, and while you can try and be objective, there may always be some bias that will bleed through into written critiques. That's why I'll never write any song off until I can hear it myself with my own ears in full (sure, the 1 minute snippets are good for a taster, but only when we hear the full song and see the full package can we make our own decisions on whether it is a potential winner).

empo21

Veteran
Not to mention that there's an entire voting group that was born after Euphoria 💀 and they have 1/8 of the tele power. And the other young groups have always had their young people to vote for like M&M. Plus, Maria Sur who's also a televote magnet.

Loreen will need a Cornelia level jury headstart.

But nice to hear that Mariette remains bland. Consistent kwen

Top Bottom