ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Loindici

Veteran
Eh.

Realest

Deleted member 12761

Panetoz performance looks like a lot of fun! I don't like Maria's dress. I'm not sure how I feel about her staging. But "Never Give Up" is so good. The best song of Melfest so far imo. Wiktoria's staging looks cheap.

alca

You know I was super excited by the fact that Magnus Carlsson and Linda Bengtzing will do the interval act coz I love all of their attempts (Magnus' at least). But! I ran into Tess (yes Alcazar's Tess!) here at the rehearsals. I was wondering which artist she's with so I was like "who're you with?" and looked at her badge. It read "mellanakt". Interval act! I was shocked! She will join Magnus and Linda? I asked if she's with them, if there's gonna be another Alcazar member but she said nothing! She told me it's a secret! Aaaaaaaaaah!

CPV4931

You know I was super excited by the fact that Magnus Carlsson and Linda Bengtzing will do the interval act coz I love all of their attempts (Magnus' at least). But! I ran into Tess (yes Alcazar's Tess!) here at the rehearsals. I was wondering which artist she's with so I was like "who're you with?" and looked at her badge. It read "mellanakt". Interval act! I was shocked! She will join Magnus and Linda? I asked if she's with them, if there's gonna be another Alcazar member but she said nothing! She told me it's a secret! Aaaaaaaaaah!
So looking forward to it :love:

0scar

Melodifestivalen is underwhelming to say the least in the first two heats, nothing really gets me. JHF's entry is horrible lol
I kinda like Wiktoria's snippet but it's nothing special, unfortunately. I loved her earlier entries.
Seems like a set up for Loreen's victory, but if it is something along the lines of Statements.. well I didn't like that one at all

Ezio

Veteran
Melodifestivalen is underwhelming because it's rigged for Loreen. No doubt about that.

However, the Swedish music industry has seen better years. In the 90s, the charts were full with Swedish acts, Dr. Alban, Roxette, Ace of Base, Army of Lovers. Later on Max Martin wrote a plethora songs for Britney and Christina.

But the industry began to crumble, BWO or Agnes didn't take off really, Robyn is already a 10 years ago one hit wonder.

All we know about Swedish pop music now, centres around Eurovision, and it seems like their formular is getting trite.

Apparently, the Swedish charts, like in Austria or Germany, are full with local rap acts that won't sell outside their country.

Austria and Germany didn't export a lot of music internationally, because their own market is big enough, however, I am not aware of any international German or Austrian act the moment either. Falco, Bingoboys, Edelweiss, Blue System, Scorpions, are gone. Seems like angry national rap is right on trend now.

Mello 2010 definitely sounded fresher than this year.

Last edited:

I bims

Veteran
Melodifestivalen is underwhelming because it's rigged for Loreen. No doubt about that.

However, the Swedish music industry has seen better years. In the 90s, the charts were full with Swedish acts, Dr. Alban, Roxette, Ace of Base, Army of Lovers. Later on Max Martin wrote a plethora songs for Britney and Christina.

But the industry began to crumble, BWO or Agnes didn't take off really, Robyn is already a 10 years ago one hit wonder.

All we know about Swedish pop music now, centres around Eurovision, and it seems like their formular is getting trite.

Apparently, the Swedish charts, like in Austria or Germany, are full with local rap acts that won't sell outside their country.

Austria and Germany didn't export a lot of music internationally, because their own market is big enough, however, I am not aware of any international German or Austrian act the moment either. Falco, Bingoboys, Edelweiss, Blue System, Scorpions, are gone. Seems like angry national rap is right on trend now.

Mello 2010 definitely sounded fresher than this year.
While it has seen better years, swedish songwriters are still everywhere. A lot of TikTok and K-Pop hits are written by swedish writers and Max Martin wrote the most successful songs for The Weeknd like "Blinding Lights" (most streamed song ever), "Can't feel my face" and "Save your tears". He also wrote for Lizzo and Adele's current albums.

But yeah the current trend in most countries is currently rap in their native language, pop in general is struggling a bit, aside from K-Pop. Can't wait for that phase to be over, I would rather listen to 20 pop songs about love than another fucking autotuned rap song about drugs, wealth and materialism.

And Melodifestivalen is really fucking struggling. It's so sad. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes that there are no really fresh modern songs in the lineup? They are stuck in 2015. That wouldn't be that much of an issue if the songs could match hits from that time but they are so safe and bland.
Why aren't more famous acts participating? While Mello is a bit kitsch it's still a huge plattform for swedish artists, why not use it? If we had a german Melodifestivalen with a comparable reach, a looot of big names here would do it for the promotion alone. Heck, some big names even go to the ZDF Fernsehgarten and that show is just pure trash.

Deleted member 12761

I think that Melfest has the same problem as the german NF. Someone in this thread has already said it. The problem are the people who chose these songs. They get so many songs every year I doubt that these acts are the creme de la creme. In Germany we know that the acts last year were definitely not the best and some of these songs that they chose were just terrible. The most generic music I've ever heard. I have the same issue with some of these Melfest songs. I wonder why that is. Like how do these people not realize that these songs are super generic? Or maybe that is what they want?

HarryUK

Veteran
The Wiktoria slander ends now, the lot of you !!

Let the queen reign supreme

Ezio

Veteran
Let us remember Wiktoria at her best

I bims

Veteran
I think that Melfest has the same problem as the german NF. Someone in this thread has already said it. The problem are the people who chose these songs. They get so many songs every year I doubt that these acts are the creme de la creme. In Germany we know that the acts last year were definitely not the best and some of these songs that they chose were just terrible. The most generic music I've ever heard. I have the same issue with some of these Melfest songs. I wonder why that is. Like how do these people not realize that these songs are super generic? Or maybe that is what they want?
Yeah that's probably it.
I mean when I look at all the snippets from the performances, these are all the most family-friendly, unproblematic songs you could pick that will appeal to most audiences. And with appeal I mean you can sit through it, you don't feel the urge to switch off. It's a TV show, they want people to keep watching. And maybe that's the idea?

And it also has to be a bit rigged. I think they have a few songs preselected that they want to send to Eurovision, those get special treatment (better starting slots and better staging) and everyone else gets inoffensive leftovers. They were never good at masking that. There are usually two big favourites in the end that have a close battle but the third place is usually quite behind. It's rarely close between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Usually it's one clear fave and a close 2nd and far off 3rd.

2022: Cornelia vs Anders
2021: Tusse (that was his year)
2020: Dotter vs Mamas
2019: John Lundvik (that was his year)
2018: Benjamin Ingrosso (that was also clearly his year)
2017: Robin vs Nano

And this year the producer favourite is very likely Loreen and either Maria or someone we don't have on our radar yet. Maybe they will finally give it to Mariette?

empo21

Veteran
In 2017, Loreen was the last person to confirm/added to the line-up at the last minute, so they had their production faves ready.
This year, it feels like Loreen was first to be confirmed and they just plopped some songs to fill space, add a few Mello vets etc etc

In 2017 I was devastated seeing Loreen flop, if she somehow flops this time as well, I will cackle for weeks.

Top Bottom