'Cause there’s nothing to regret
Well, this is not what I wanted
Guess all the good things come to an end

So baby bye, bye
Wish you the best
But most of alI I wish that I could love you less
Well, maybe you're right
I'll find someone else
You say it isn't me, but when did that ever help?

Hold me closer
Although you'll leave before the sunrise
I'll be bleeding, but don't you mind, I'll be fine
Oh, it kills me
I found the right one at the wrong time
But until the sunrise
Hold tight, hold tight

Maybe it happened too fast
I guess that I understand
You say that you've never felt this way for anyone
And that's why it scares you to death

So baby bye, bye
Know it's for the best
Still I can't see how that would ease the pain in my chest

Hold me closer
I'll be bleeding, but don't you, mind I'll be fine
Oh, it kills me
But until the sunrise
Could you just hold me tight?
I know, I have to let go, but just give me the night

'Cause tomorrow will hurt
Hurt really bad
'Cause I’m about to lose the best I ever had

Hold me closer
I'll be bleeding, but don't you mind, I'll be fine
Oh, it kills me
But until the sunrise
Could you just hold me tight?
I know, I have to let go, but just give me the night (Hold me tight, hold me tight)

Can't you see that you found the right one at the wrong time?
It was just the wrong time
Hold tight, hold tight

Sabrewulf238

Klara Hammarström only 6th. :oops: I am surprised (I did not watch though the final of MF) but I got an impression she's shoe-in for top 3, possibly even winning with some luck.

The juries tanked her. She tied for 3rd in the public vote with Medina.

Preuss

Like I said in my post just a little above yours, I believe people are biased toward Sweden's entries because it's Sweden. They've built up a reputation as being the country where the good songs come from, never mind if it actually is.

This is just based on my own observation.

It’s really otherwise though. Fans are more critical of Sweden’s entries

I bims

Veteran
Like I said in my post just a little above yours, I believe people are biased toward Sweden's entries because it's Sweden. They've built up a reputation as being the country where the good songs come from, never mind if it actually is.

A common theme in the Sweden threads has been that the Melodifestivalen editions get weaker and weaker...? Even by people that are now in love with Cornelia's song?

Ianp16

Top 3 material. So natural, great vocals, seems genuine. I stan. :12: points.

I'm glad that Sweden is back, for the first time in a few years :)

Last edited:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
For a period of time coinciding pretty much with my time on the forum, Sweden's Eurovision output and I have had a...difficult relationship. It's unfortunate because before I joined the forum, Sweden was a regular fixture in my top 10--just in my lifetime, in 2014, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, and 1996 ("my lifetime" doesn't go back further). But as far as y'all're concerned? My reputation as a "jealous hater" [sic] was sorta-kinda well-earned.

So imagine my surprise when this touching, sincere, rough, powerful, beautiful song not only found itself at Melodifestivalen but won. Sweden have vaulted themselves right back to the top of my ranking--where, on many levels, they belong. I said after last year that Sweden needed an about-face, and boy is this an about-face. #1 on my ranking. :12: points. Thank you for delivering in this very underwhelming year.

alca

The chorus of Theoz's song sounds like another song I can't seem to recall right now. But either way, it's still quite terrible.
Maybe När ingen ser? I mean Axel Schylström wrote both songs. At least that's what it reminds me of.
GET THAT SONG ON SPOTIFY NOW!
It's already out

So happy about tonight's results! I was so damn nervous and shocked when Anders got 90pts. I was trying to figure out if there are enough points left for Cornelia to top him.

So great to see the arena full again! Back to normality! And the after party was full of people. Just like 2019. Well like 2020 too, since it was literally two days before sh!t hit the fan.

Cornelia is the sweetest person. She wanted to talk to everyone after the final but you know, the managers always drag them around, showing the clock, chasing away the media haha. She could sit there and chat for hours with each of us if they let her.

12pts from me!

hpp0

On one hand, I think they made the best decision. The song is very commercial and catchy enough for a ballad but also comes off as very heartfelt and authentic in the live version. This year might have too many slow songs but this is powerful enough to stand out. Top 10 in the final is granted, probably even top 5 if the juries push it enough. When it comes to my taste, this is by far my favourite ballad this year and from the few songs that I sincerely like.

On the other hand, I can't dismiss that the juries basically picked the winner, by burying the only two other songs with a chance to win (Anders and Klara). Even though I think that "Bigger than the universe" sounds like a more anthemic version of UK 2019 and would have probably been a borderline Q at best, if this is what the Swedes wanted to represent them it should have been respected. I know that it isn't the first time this happens in MF, but it is still frustrating.

I'm also very happy that Medina finished 3rd overall and jointed 3rd in televoting cause the song is a banger and it would have honestly be a very good choice for this rather mediocre ESC year.

Sammy

Veteran
I think that putting this in the same basket with other „slow“ songs neglects a bunch of things.
First of all, the chorus is rather mid-tempo which for example is a big difference to other ballads.
Then the pulse of Hold me closer is much more varied: you have triplets, dotted notes, syncopes. There‘s a lot going in here.
Also there are several changes as the song goes on. You got variation in pace and dynamics, all if them cleverly building up
but never fully releasing the tension.
Whereas most other ballads are built of long notes, here they are much less frequent and not as long. The longest notes here in the chorus are still significantly shorter than in other ballads.
Melodically this is also more varied which adds to the dynamic.
All of this makes this song feel like the restless heart described in the lyrics, that is in vain tried to be calmed down and not like a big ship that is calmly or steadily sailing on the seas of troubled feelings.
Which brings me to the lyrics: other slow songs center around one emotion they try to express. Here we are confronted with conflicting ones: dispair, understanding, anger, hurt, accepting and even a little bit of hope (very very much hidden) that maybe she will be hold longer than just until the sunrise. All if this add up to a much more dynamic song than other ballads.

I‘m not saying this makes other slow songs bad, but this is why I think Hold me closer is not really „a slow song“ like so many this year.

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran

This entry - in my eyes - is completely different than the past years. I am one of them - Ihated the past Sweden entries with the generic songs, but this one is just out of the world. Love it! New Sweden era for me! ;)

Realest

Somehow I cant enjoy Cornelias Victory because of Anders Televote Result.

Rasmus0714

That's the point. The comments people have been posting around social media about Anders have been horrible and unwarranted just because there was a chance he might beat the fanbases new favourite. Especially annoying when it's coming from the same fans who critics juries in Spain and Australia (off which I was definitely one) who are now fawning over them for stopping the Swedish public's favourite.
For me it's like Cornelia's sweet revenge against Anders' rejection in Idol? And he's horrible to tons of Idol contestants. He only wins the televote just because he is way more famous than other Melfest contestants.

hpp0

That reminds me of what happened in Spain with Tanxugueiras, but in this case no one is complaining xthink

I think that this has partly to do with how each country's people react to the results. Spanish people were really upset and were very vocal about it online. Swedish people don't seem to be that bothered with the results, maybe cause they are used to the voting system.

Also the MF system was kinda fairer? If Anders had 70% of the votes and Cornelia 3%, I'm pretty sure he would have won, unlike in Benidorm.

nudiecrudi

It's only a 3 for me. This midtempo emotional ballad seems to me so cooked, again, for ESC.
Musically is so ripetitive. Only her voice saves a bit the song. Somehow remembered me Victoria's song last year, plus a beat.
Netherlands and Greece are way superior and more interesting as representatives of this genre, also Lithuania even somehow more jazzy.
I really find it mediocre and unoriginal.

Top Bottom