Contact us

Spotify integration (and other music stream services)

LalehForWD

I've been looking for ways to share music links and how to post them. Embedded Soundcloud player is one example, Spotify and Grooveshark links are others.

I have seen something like:
[spotify]4bz7uB4edifWKJXSDxwHcs[/spotify] vBulletin code for a Spotify link.

Spotify (or similar service) is preferable over Grooveshark due to legal and license issues, but Grooveshark have the advantage to work without subscription and regardless of location AFAIK.

What are the recommended ways to share music on the forum right now?
Is it possible to add support for at least Soundcloud, Spotify, Rdio and Grooveshark?

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
I would like to see Soundcloud integration, just not sure how much it would be used (+ don't forget on copyright :/) ... about Spotify and Grooveshark - dunno, Spotify is not available in many countries :/

LalehForWD

I would like to see Soundcloud integration, just not sure how much it would be used (+ don't forget on copyright :/)

I believe anything put public on Soundcloud is to be shared. Preferable as their player embedded in the post.

Wordpress example:
[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/54936934" params="show_comments=true&auto_play=false&color=ff7700" width="100%" height="81" iframe="false" /]

Maybe it's enough with just HTML5 support?

... about Spotify and Grooveshark - dunno, Spotify is not available in many countries :/

IKR, but anyone who really wants can register a Spotify-account in for example the UK. You can practically read this advice between the lines at Spotify. This account must have a paid subscription after 2 weeks though (no free plays outside registered country). Why the record companies want to keep the releases on a per country basis is completely incomprehensible to me. When there are no signed deals between Spotify and the record companies for a specific country, Spotify cannot be used there. BMO, sharing music by the streaming services is more fair than trough Youtube (inc Grooveshark).

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Well, I personally like both Soundcloud and Spotify (didn't try Grooveshark), I'd like Spotify to at least have some free version :/

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Hmmm personally, I'm not against Soundcloud :D we'll only need to look into it more, so we'll see

SRBIJA

Banned
LalehForWD, thank you for bringing up this question! I was also wondering the same. :)

Soundcloud would be so awesome, but dunno what is the situation with copyright though. :(

LalehForWD

LalehForWD, thank you for bringing up this question! I was also wondering the same. :)

Soundcloud would be so awesome, but dunno what is the situation with copyright though. :(

As far as I can see there seem to be some copyright infringement at Soundcloud by users publish songs without permission from the artists. I believe this is a Soundcloud-only problem and a forum such as this shouldn't have to worry. I think the best use of Soundcloud should be by using their embedded player directly. This way the users various plugins (e.g. last.fm) comes in effect (I think :D).

LalehForWD

For anyone interested, here's an example how Spotify integration looks like in vBulletin Version 3.6.0
click image below

Thus Spotify is embedded and tunes are played directly in the post. The song position "ledger" (or what it's called) isn't working at the example though.

edit: Eh sorry, this example also seem to require an installed Spotify app as it trigger an application start on my machine. It should be possible to make it online web depended only though.

Top Bottom