Contact us

Spain and Azerbaijan to pay Eurovision fines

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Very interesting article:

The public broadcasters of Spain, RTVE, and Azerbaijan, Ictimai TV, have been found responsible for breaking the Eurovision Song Contest rules in the broadcast of the past edition of the competition. In the case of Spain, the broadcaster failed to air the second semifinal live and therefore provide a televote window for the Spanish viewers; and Azerbaijani television blurred out the Armenian voting number as well as distorted the TV signal when sisters Inga and Anush of Armenia were performing on stage.
The announcements made immediately after the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest claiming that the broadcasters of Spain and Azerbaijan would face sanctions over alleged "breach" of the Eurovision Song Contest rules have finally taken shape.

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has placed a 2,700 euro fine on the Azerbaijani broadcaster for blurring out the televote number for Armenia, a distortion of the tv signal while the Armenian representatives were performing on stage and the fact that some Azeri citizens were interrogated by the police after voting for their neighbouring country.

Azerbaijan Head of Delegation, Mr Adil Karimli, made these statements about the EBU decision: “I think this is a fair decision. According to the decision of the EBU, we have paid a fine of € 2,700. I want to note that the European Broadcasting Union is a very democratic organization and passes any decision after through, precise investigation. Therefore, there is not right to say that the decision is unfair, or a severe punishment. Ictimai TV participated in all the discussions and was the main part in the investigation. So, we respect the decision. I think such decisions are not a punishment, this is a serious approach of the EBU and its members to the existing laws and rules. The decision does not influence on Azerbaijan’s participation in the next contest. Azerbaijan will be represented at the Eurovision 2010".

The European Broadcasting Union is said to have threatened the country to exclude the broadcaster from the competition for up to three years if further infractions of the Eurovision Song Contest rules are made.

Spain, as a big-4 country, didn't have to participate in the semifinals, but the country had its voting rights on the second semifinal of the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest. TVE failed to broadcast the show live on its second channel, TVE 2, which was showing a tennis match at 21:00 CET, and started airing it some one hour later in a taped format. Therefore, the viewers couldn't cast their votes via televote and a back-up jury was used. The amount that TVE has to pay is yet unknown.

The EBU has clearly stated that "the organization will not tolerate violations of the rules - particularly political interference in the Eurovision Song Contest".

http://esctoday.com/news/read/14589

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I personally believe that was the right decision. Banning would be the next step if they break the rules again. It is getting on my nerves when people can't play by the rules.

94ayd

TOTALLY AGREE! I had a feeling they woule be left just like that but, thank God, there will be punishment. :twisted: :lol:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
At the same time though 2,700 euros is quite a joke, that fine should be much higher than that. That's not really going to make a big difference Ictimai TV I would think.
So the thought behind it I approve of but the actual fine is way too low.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
You're probably right but maybe a 50.000 euro fine may change their mind. They really need to disclose the spanish fine, transparancy is what we need here.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the same as the Azerbaijani one. In fairness to Spain though they should both be punished the same regardless of how rich they are because both rulebreaks did/could affect the voting.

TF100

Well of course they're not going to fine them anything that actually would matter, they don't want to lose participants, that's their main concern. This is just a customary gesture to make it seem as if the EBU is sticking to their own rules for once. Now where's the fines incurred for the UK 2006 being released in 2004, France 2006 using a backing vocal on tape, etc..? And there's no chance they'd ever ban, well, any country, but in particular not Spain (big 4) nor Azerbaijan (Ictimai puts up a ridiculous amount of money, hence being allowed to enter EDC - which was invitation only for the first 2 years - and subsequently hosting the next edition).

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
So afterall it's more of a symbolic gesture which if you think about it now is quite upsetting. Money makes the world go round I guess.....

Top Bottom