5 3.4%

9 6.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jatojo

I know I'm late to the party, but I was watching the waaay too long "MESC". Seeing the result of this year's Benidorm .... wtf happened there? I wasn't really a fan of any entry, but man this is horrendous. Spain (almost) never fails to choose the worst out of a bunch of mediocre songs lol
To any newborn Nebuloza (or whatever it's called) fans - please explain to me what forsaken magic caused this song to actually win?
Benidorm was terrible this year. It's been going in the direction of a freak show for some years (not necessarily in terms of music style, but in any other way). Last year was only saved by the brilliant 'Nochentera' - although Vicco's dress and staging were also "too much".

Angy Fernandez had the only decent song in 2024. I don't think it would have done particularly well in Malmö though - a bit too basic in my opinion. At least Sofia Coll scored badly. 'Here To Stay' is probably the most overrated song so far this year.

cegs5

Honestly, zorra isn't as gross as puta... or cazzo in Italian. The number of times it's been used in series and telenovelas in the afternoon! If it is not offenssive in Spanish speaking countries why would it be outside that circle where they don't even know the meaning.
I don't think there will be a problem at all.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Interesting outcome, I was expecting St. Pedro to win and for me to groan at the result, reminiscing the times I hated AMD with a passion.

This charming lady isn't exactly what I wanted out of Spain, "Caliente" was getting there mostly, but this is iconic enough (the dedication for all the sluts out there spoke to me on a spiritual level) for me to like it. Soo uhhh...a :6: for now!

Narcis

Benidorm was terrible this year. It's been going in the direction of a freak show for some years (not necessarily in terms of music style, but in any other way). Last year was only saved by the brilliant 'Nochentera' - although Vicco's dress and staging were also "too much".

Angy Fernandez had the only decent song in 2024. I don't think it would have done particularly well in Malmö though - a bit too basic in my opinion. At least Sofia Coll scored badly. 'Here To Stay' is probably the most overrated song so far this year.
If you think the only decent song is the only one written and produced in Sweden maybe you simply don't enjoy a Spanish song contest.

Paco Roca

Disappointed. The jury did everything to keep wrong songs alive. I'm not saying that Nebulossa is bad but she's too much of an ass on stage, and the song is too dated... Political correctness won in the end. María Peláe deserved a few more points. I like Almacor but he committed suicide alone with a voice that wasn't up to par. Miss Caffeina had a pleasant but innocuous track at maximum power. I would have preferred Jorge to Nebulossa. Sofia Coll not bad but not a victory. Angy and St.Pedro were extraordinary (the race should have been between them). With Nebulossa, Spain may not enter the bottom 5 but it won't be able to aspire to more either (given the competition from crazy sounds). We will miss St.Pedro... he could have been among the favorites in Malmö. The edition was a bit drugged by the awkward timetable, the high cost of the vote and the international jury. Things I don't want to see anymore. I don't even want to see the bronze microphone as a prize anymore... Benidorm Fest should have chosen a unique symbol and not a parody of the crystal microphone (which makes the competition more of an avenue for the ESC rather than a national festival with its own identity). I pray for an intestinal fever for Nebulossa and dancers so that they can give up in favor of St.Pedro!

However, this edition was not excellent musically but still brought pleasant songs to the competition.

P.S.: I'm still hurting for Roger Padrós...

theditz83

Veteran
The whole conversation around whether EBU will allow the song as it is due to potentially breaching rules on decency within the lyrics, with all the people also complaining that political correctness has won... My head is pickled.

And no, I haven't read the lyrics, but if there's this much confusion and disagreement about the appropriateness of this song in this thread alone, I think it's safe to say that we won't get a clear answer from the EBU who may tend to err on the side of leniency unless explicit harm is intended.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
The fact I've finally landed in the right universe where an absolutely shimmering disco synth pop number is triumphant in a national final.. well, I've hit the jackpot at last and it feels SO good. I love everything about this ridiculously catchy, dazzlingly wonderful entry. The studio version was great enough but it becomes an entirely different beast when performed live. ZORRA is THE anthem.

María Bas and her boys are so loveable as they slink their way through the song and routine. The energy the fans give it as well, my gosh, it turns it all into such a hype moment. I honestly feel that it was a team effort with the Spanish fan energy helping Nebulossa over the finish line victorious. Best audience ever for elevating the performance to such highs. I can't help but smile the whole way through. It's staged so fantabulously that I wouldn't change a thing. It's an instant cult classic just as it is, dripping in style. María Bas must be treasured and I know she will be by the Eurovision community.

The biggest, easiest :12: points I'm ever going to hand over. The only thing that could top Spain from my ranking this year is if San Marino announce a last minute wildcard entry consisting of a newly formed supergroup starring Serhat, Senhit and Valentina Monetta. Zorra is that godly. To think Nebulossa started their journey in San Marino also, to then win Benidorm Fest!? It's absolutely crazy. One of the greatest, out of the blue success stories. I will be pinching myself from now to May.

And I'll let you in on a secret. The grand final performance of Zorra made me tear up. Only the second pop song ever to make me this emotional, the former being After Dark's return to Melodifestivalen with Kom ut som en stjärna.

xheart
b8144422-fd51-4609-b027-125942c0c8ba.gif

Paco Roca

The fact I've finally landed in the right universe where an absolutely shimmering disco synth pop number is triumphant in a national final.. well, I've hit the jackpot at last and it feels SO good. I love everything about this ridiculously catchy, dazzlingly wonderful entry. The studio version was great enough but it becomes an entirely different beast when performed live. ZORRA is THE anthem.

María Bas and her boys are so loveable as they slink their way through the song and routine. The energy the fans give it as well, my gosh, it turns it all into such a hype moment. I honestly feel that it was a team effort with the Spanish fan energy helping Nebulossa over the finish line victorious. Best audience ever for elevating the performance to such highs. I can't help but smile the whole way through. It's staged so fantabulously that I wouldn't change a thing. It's an instant cult classic just as it is, dripping in style. María Bas must be treasured and I know she will be by the Eurovision community.

The biggest, easiest :12: points I'm ever going to hand over. The only thing that could top Spain from my ranking this year is if San Marino announce a last minute wildcard entry consisting of a newly formed supergroup starring Serhat, Senhit and Valentina Monetta. Zorra is that godly. To think Nebulossa started their journey in San Marino also, to then win Benidorm Fest!? It's absolutely crazy. One of the greatest, out of the blue success stories. I will be pinching myself from now to May.

And I'll let you in on a secret. The grand final performance of Zorra made me tear up. Only the second pop song ever to make me this emotional, the former being After Dark's return to Melodifestivalen with Kom ut som en stjärna.

xheart
How can I not love your passion and your sensitivity. You comforted me. I hope to be able to see Nebulossa with your own eyes. Thank you xrose

MAD20

Although I did not want Nebulossa to win, I get why they won the televote, it is already an anthem in Spain and will continue to be so on the coming months, plus the message is strong.

I wholeheartedly supported St. Pedro, but let's be honest, none of our songs would've won this year so, why not going with something fun and quirky that will for granted top charts in here? I just hope for a staging reformulation, and some vocal improvements, though. It's been a long time since we did not send something like this, so, let's give it a try and hope for better songs next Benidorm Fest.

Giving a solid :8: to my country.

theditz83

Veteran

xheart
Genuinely so delighted for you Kai - your tears of joy will hopefully drown out my tears of disappointment, but how you reacted to Nebulossa's performance just hits me right in my heart. What a joy to see you make that connection. It's a truly special thing and I hope you ride that wave of euphoric shimmering disco sparkles through to the Final in Malmö this May.

I'll come join you on the disco ball soon - save me a spot xlove

jatojo

If you think the only decent song is the only one written and produced in Sweden maybe you simply don't enjoy a Spanish song contest.
I hadn't examined who has written the various Benidorm songs this year, but thanks for telling me.

There is normally a couple of good songs in the Spanish selection - last year 'Nochentera' was the best by far, not only in Spain, but among all entries at the national selections. That song isn't written by Swedes by the way.

I don't know exactly what you mean by me "simply not enjoying a Spanish song contest". I could go through the Benidorm songs that I like from recent years, but instead I'll just say that I have often rated the Spanish songs higher at Eurovision than what their actual results have been (and the results haven't been very good in recent years).

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Genuinely so delighted for you Kai - your tears of joy will hopefully drown out my tears of disappointment, but how you reacted to Nebulossa's performance just hits me right in my heart. What a joy to see you make that connection. It's a truly special thing and I hope you ride that wave of euphoric shimmering disco sparkles through to the Final in Malmö this May.

I'll come join you on the disco ball soon - save me a spot xlove

Aw Gary, thank you xlove I'm not used to moments like these. I'd say on average I'll get maybe two or at most three songs I support from NFs each year that win, and they are pretty much always ballads (stuff like Saudade Saudade). They're great but part of why I'm a Eurovision fan is because of the ridiculously infectious pop treats. I come to Eurovision for these songs which are the polar opposite of the moody stuff I listen to outside of the contest. They never make it to Eurovision though. Songs like Eini's Draamaa or Erika Vikman's Cicciolina. And then there's Sweden as a whole that used to offer me so much whilst never sending any of it. It's frustrating to say the least. Tonight just feels so special and unique. I still can't believe Nebulossa are going to Eurovision! It's crazy!

And don't worry, there's plenty of room on the disco ball for everyone, but I'm also gonna charge up my luck again (it's been obscenely good so far this year) and we can use that luck in any NF you want to get you a big fave. Take your pick :cool:

b4ld3r

I think the audience reactions during the performance actually brings it down much more for me. In a vacuum I find the whole package to be just kind of bland, but with those massive reactions I feel like I'm trying to solve a crime case or a math problem while watching it. I just really don't get it, songwise this is on the same level as Here to Stay for me.

But I softened overtime on both WRS and Gustav, so who knows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom