Contact us

Some suggestions

GRE

These are my 3 suggestions for a better Eurovision.
1) In my opinion 26 songs in the Final,are too many.24 are just fine.So 9 qualifiers from each semi.
2) Also i believe that 20 votes per phone for a country are too many.The maximum could be 5 votes for a country.
3) Jury members should be more.Around 8-10 people in each country,all from the music industry.

toinou03

I think you are right on #2 and #3.

20 votes is way too much...

And with a greater jury, voting would be more balanced. It's obvious Armenia had a lot of votes from :fr: though it had zero in their usual diaspora provider because we had members of the jury with connections to Armenia, so it has been favored... With more people in the jury, it is more balanced.

As for the number of finalist, it's difficult to reduce it. The only way is... a Big 5 victory ! :lol: I so wish the contest lands in :es: ! :D

lucian-crusher

I have sugestion that we can see if it works for one year:

1. Get read of the juries
2. Let only the 26 countries qualified for the Final vote and make the non-finalists vote as one country

That way we resolve 3 issues:
- no juries, diaspora
- block voting would be diminuished as non-qualifiers won't vote
- the voting would be more entertaining (something like until 2003 when we didn't know the winner until the last country voted)

GRE

- block voting would be diminuished as non-qualifiers won't vote
Yeah,and then Eurovision will be the castle of ussr.
For example this year 9 of 26 countries would vote each other.I prefer 9 of 39,much better.

Scooby

One person one vote. Thats only fair solution!

GRE

Someone said that between 1998-2003 it was allowed to vote only 5 times for an entry.
Does anyone know if this is true?

Jim

I think that ESC needs the juries, but the result to be influenced by them, only by 25% and not 50%. So, 75% televoting & 25% jury vote.

Yamarus

You can vote for as many entries as you like, but only once per entry.

I have two suggestion:

When the 1-7 points are given, they shouldn't just appear all at the same time on the scoreboard. They should pop up 1, then 2, then 3 etc, together with dramatic music. It takes about 8 seconds longer, but much more tense than just showing them on the scoreboard at the same time. Often, you don't get the chance to see what the country got for score. It just flashes by!

Another thing they could: Midways through the voting, there is a "Public's favorite"/"Australian Votes"/"Top Chart"/"Most-viewed-on-youtube"-like system that gives 1 to 12 points for their respective countries. It could at least be tried some year.

The marching-in-with-the-flag-parade was very cool and should be reused in a bigger scale, like in the olympics, where there also comes up a text that shows the viewer what the names of the artist are and what countries they came from. And they should be walking in much slower. It should be more epic! It's a really nice concept.

Impressive

Banned
When the 1-7 points are given, they shouldn't just appear all at the same time on the scoreboard. They should pop up 1, then 2, then 3 etc, together with dramatic music. It takes about 8 seconds longer, but much more tense than just showing them on the scoreboard at the same time. Often, you don't get the chance to see what the country got for score. It just flashes by!
Voting used to be like that but when it takes too long time they turned into current system AFAIK. And it makes sense, that kind of voting would be sort of boring.

Voting used to be like that but when it takes too long time they turned into current system AFAIK. And it makes sense, that kind of voting would be sort of boring.

Yes. It takes to long if they SAY all the points. Then it will take ages, indeed. But if they show it on the screen, one at a time three seconds between each other, it wouldn't take too long at all. Now they just throw it up on the screen and in Malmö the time passed by quickly so they had to hurry the voting process, which made the whole process even more stressfull.

lucian-crusher

Well, I've been thinking that a lot of poor countries don't send great songs to Eurovision because they are afraid to win and they would have to host it if they do. So, I think, that until the economic crisis is over, EBU could do Eurovision like UEFA doesx with the European Championship. Countries should bid to host it. And if one year we have more than one countries biding, then the host should be the one that scored higher in the previous Eurovision. THIS SHOULD GO ONLY UNTIL THE ECONOMIC CRISIS IS OVER!

r3gg13

Revealing split jury/televote results right after each semi and the final
Revealing who's in the jury, and a more balanced juries (not all too old, not all too young)
Putting countries that don't typically vote for each other in the same semis.

Yamarus

Revealing split jury/televote results right after each semi and the final

The split results should be released in the week following the contest. But not after the semi, this would obviously encourage tactical voting.

Revealing who's in the jury, and a more balanced juries (not all too old, not all too young)

A EBU rule should state that the jury must have 33% young (16-25), 33% middle age (25-50) and 33% older (50-200 :p).

Putting countries that don't typically vote for each other in the same semis.

The pot system already addresses that. However with only two semis it's difficult to keep 10 ex-USSR countries apart.

r3gg13

The split results should be released in the week following the contest. But not after the semi, this would obviously encourage tactical voting.

A EBU rule should state that the jury must have 33% young (16-25), 33% middle age (25-50) and 33% older (50-200 :p).

The pot system already addresses that. However with only two semis it's difficult to keep 10 ex-USSR countries apart.

Good point about the tactical voting ;)

50-200 xrofl2

I would say that the pot system and the composition of semis is very inefficient at preventing bloc voting. I think that the composition of the semis can further be re-evaluated and set to minimize the effect of bloc voting (even with only 2 semis). I'm merely asking for a semi composition optimized to minimize bloc voting. I know it's unrealistic to get rid of bloc voting.

NemesisNick

Well, I've been thinking that a lot of poor countries don't send great songs to Eurovision because they are afraid to win and they would have to host it if they do. So, I think, that until the economic crisis is over, EBU could do Eurovision like UEFA doesx with the European Championship. Countries should bid to host it. And if one year we have more than one countries biding, then the host should be the one that scored higher in the previous Eurovision. THIS SHOULD GO ONLY UNTIL THE ECONOMIC CRISIS IS OVER!
Great idea.

In the JESC, the next year's host nation is decided before the contest takes place, e.g. in the host country for the 2012 JESC was decided before the 2011 JESC took place, not determined by the winner of the 2011 JESC.

In the UEFA Euro football tournament (4-yearly) and FIFA World Cup (4-yearly), the host country isn't necessarily the winner of the previous tournament; in fact I think the host country for UEFA 2012 was decided before UEFA 2008.

Let's flash back to 1993 when Ireland won for the 2nd year running. The EBU could and should have suggested then that RTE hosts the 1994 ESC from Ireland, but they needn't worry about winning ESC 1994 as if they do they'll be excused hosting ESC 1995 and some other country will host it instead. Perhaps then Ireland wouldn't have picked "Rock n Roll Kids" as their 1994 entry. When Ireland won for the 3rd year running in 1994, why didn't the EBU let Poland (2nd) or Germany (3rd) host the 1995 ESC?

Top Bottom