7 5.1%

1 0.7%

2 1.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

musicfan

Both are pretentious to be honest. The slight difference is that :rs: is for its domestic audience and have a more "local" sound to it, the still doesn't offer something fresh or groundbreaking to get us truly invested in it. :sl: was selected internally and was made for the international audience with the more "polish" sound. Neither reach the potential like needed to get the proper support. The likely outcome is one will get the better televote than the other and vice versa with juryvote.

I do like both songs, we both try to stay relevant for the outside world but we have become standard lately.

I don't think either is pretentious. The Swiss song however still feels a melodramatic mess to me, it reaches beyond what it has the ability to do, which would be a good definition of pretentiousness.

FilipFromSweden

I just LOVE the water sounds in the instrumentals, I don't think I've heard anything like it before

MojVoda

I don't think either is pretentious. The Swiss song however still feels a melodramatic mess to me, it reaches beyond what it has the ability to do, which would be a good definition of pretentiousness.
Switzerland isn't comparable because it's blatantly phoned in with the point the song is trying to make. It's trying too hard to make a complicated topic understandable for 170+ million but it's not pretentious. Serbia and Slovenia are pretentious because they are trying to be something they are not, to be an authentic representation of our respective culture. Both try to top the 2000s Balkan ballads and are nowhere near that. Both aren't bad and do sing in their traditional language however, but they cannot claim to be what they are convincing the audience to believe.

Mika

Yesterday I was at Raiven's concert and it was phenomenal.

In the past 10 years of her music career, I've attended her concerts at least 15 times. I was also at her very first one shortly after her first EMA, where she performed Črno bel. This way, I had the opportunity to witness firsthand how she evolved into the highly professional artist she's today. I remember her shyness at the beginning, when she hadn't quite grasped how to communicate with the audience, and then the significant positive leap when she changed her entire team at some point. Today (at least on the surface), she seems truly confident, and the audience eagerly accepts everything she serves them. Raiven's constantly evolving, improving, refining her singing technique, never standing still. She's outstanding.

Her voice's always been her bread and butter, but yesterday she really showcased what it means to be a (classically) trained singer, because not only's her voice confidently strong, what impressed me the most were all the effortless transitions between low and high, loud and quiet parts. She displayed the full range of mastery over her voice. We have a top-notch artist in Slovenia, truly hats off.

With regards to Črno bel, I must point out that yesterday – for who knows what reason – she didn't perform it. I realise that musicians perceive their careers entirely differently than the audience, but still, Črno bel is the song that introduced her to a wider audience, and I must say that its absence from the repertoire was glaringly obvious.

Of course, she also performed songs from her new EP Sirene. She sang Veronika in its original version. In the chorus, she again skipped the 2nd and 4th verses, which IMHO takes away a considerable charm from the performance of the song, so I still hope that there'll be a different approach in the revamped version on the ESC stage.

If any of you will be able to see her in Malmö at one of the performances just before the ESC, seize the opportunity and go listen to her live. When she's on stage, with her charisma and skills, she really delivers everything she has to the audience. And she has remarkably a lot.

musicfan

Switzerland isn't comparable because it's blatantly phoned in with the point the song is trying to make. It's trying too hard to make a complicated topic understandable for 170+ million but it's not pretentious. Serbia and Slovenia are pretentious because they are trying to be something they are not, to be an authentic representation of our respective culture. Both try to top the 2000s Balkan ballads and are nowhere near that. Both aren't bad and do sing in their traditional language however, but they cannot claim to be what they are convincing the audience to believe.

Perhaps you could see them as modernised Balkan ballads.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Yeah, I have 0 doubts about this qualifying. It's too vocally ambitious for it to not to.

And also I know people are worried about the staging because of the budget. This performance doesn't need any firework anyway.

It doesn't need to be expensive to look good. And Raiven knows what looks good and what doesn't.

Jupiter

Raiven is incredible. Great vocals, and such an effortless elegance on stage. It's not just a very, very likely Q for me, I also think this might get quite a bit of jury love in the final.

ESC94

Today it was time for :sl: at the ESC kompakt songchecks 2024.

The verdict of the bloggers:

Benny - Difficult. I like all the parts of this song: Raiven as an artist, the modern sound, the edginess - and yet the song doesn't quite manage to win me over. I almost have the feeling that the melody and structure have been somewhat neglected due to the willingness to experiment. But I keep trying my best because I want to like the song. :7:

Berenike - I don't like this as much as I should. Actually, I'm up for something so anthemic, mystical and artistic. In addition, Raiven is basically singing about me ;) (“Veronika” is a Latin variant of “Berenike”). The fact that I only partially warm to the song is probably mainly because I don't like Raiven's voice that much in the parts where she sings so high and slightly screechy. Still, there's something intriguing about the song and I give it :7:.

Douze Points - The best thing about this post is the official video, which visually easily outperforms “We Will Rave” despite having fewer sixpacks. Unfortunately, that's not what the ESC is about, but about the song. And that doesn't really get me. This “Toy” tongue twister is increasingly annoying me, and the song’s finale is pretty redundant. There needs to be a strong staging in Malmö! :4:

Flo - What starts off very exciting gets lost somewhere in the course of the song, which offers a certain amount of drama but is not so easily accessible. As a work of art, this is certainly a good performance that should be more effective on stage than the song itself. But it's difficult for me to "get into it" because there are too many musical breaks in it, which follow one another in an almost staccato manner. :6:

Manu - Raiven is now finally coming to the ESC through the internal selection. There is no question that she can sing fantastically. We also hear drums, mystical rhythms and sounds, a creative tension and a lot of drama. That should actually excite me, but especially when it comes to the soundscape, I still have the feeling that there could have been more. In the end there are still :7: benevolent points remaining.

Max - Interesting song from Slovenia, for the second year in a row for me. “Veronika” is not the song you turn up loud in the car and sing along to. Clear. But it is the epic contribution in the local language that will be impressive on the stage in Malmö - if it is staged well. In any case, I'm very excited. :7:

Peter - What a step back from Joker Out last year. Less disco fun, more chamber play with performance art appeal. Less exuberance, but a strong voice paired with mysticism. It certainly has friends, but I'm not one of them. This is a dramaturgically sophisticated power piece with rowdy electronic and orchestral breaks, but devoid of instant appeal. After several attempts, Raiven probably just took it, and a song in the local language always has a significant distinctiveness. :4:

Rick - Unfortunately, I think that “Veronika” is too unwieldy when you first listen because the structure is so unusual. However, I hope that the revamp has made the song a little more accessible. I really like the story and Raiven as a character! This CAN be a positive surprise live. I'm really torn. With room for improvement, I'll give it :5: for now.

Top Bottom