Contact us

Should the EBU ban Georgia?

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I'm amazed by your ability to read jury members mind too since you're so convinced I'm wrong xshrug

I can just two and two together, I'm sorry if people can't see the blatant obvious here.

So was there anything going on in the large number of other countries that had Poland at/near the bottom of their jury rankings or was it just the UK playing shady with it's 5 music experts not falling head over heels for what was a very screechy, some would say "vulgar" song?

Just because you love the song you seem almost blinded as to why it failed with the juries ALL OVER Europe. I agree with you in that it shouldn't have been wrecked the way it was. Changing back to the old system of calculating votes is the way forward and hopefully we'll see the change soon. I could complain and make up accusations as to why San Marino was also at the bottom/last in nearly every jury ranking as well but I won't as I accept that their song is old fashioned and sticks out like a soar thumb composition wise. Poland came last with our jury as there were clearly no fans of hippidi hop music in the group. It's a very acquired taste. I'm pretty certain it's as simple as that. Remember the jury members also do their rankings before the public votes.

A-lister

Veteran
So was there anything going on in the large number of other countries that had Poland at/near the bottom of their jury rankings or was it just the UK playing shady with it's 5 music experts not falling head over heels for what was a very screechy, some would say "vulgar" song?

Just because you love the song you seem almost blinded as to why it failed with the juries ALL OVER Europe. I agree with you in that it shouldn't have been wrecked the way it was. Changing back to the old system of calculating votes is the way forward and hopefully we'll see the change soon. I could complain and make up accusations as to why San Marino was also at the bottom/last in nearly every jury ranking as well but I won't as I accept that their song is old fashioned and sticks out like a soar thumb composition wise. Poland came last with our jury as there were clearly no fans of hippidi hop music in the group. It's a very acquired taste. I'm pretty certain it's as simple as that. Remember the jury members also do their rankings before the public votes.

I stick to my opinion, obviously I don't accuse all juries of this however. I never expected Poland to be liked by the juries in general, quite the contrary, but the way some juries handled it was pure manipulations of votes (as the Irish and UK that could very well predict that Poland would do good with televotes, hence they blocked it with their blatant last ranking of Poland in both the semi and final). My accusation has nothing to do with my taste, people can believe that if they want but that's really not true. I simply point out some of the juries, not all the ones that put Poland at a bad position.

If you want to believe that the English and Irish (and a couple of others) juries put Poland dead last due to their supposed judgement of the music/singing/performance or whatever, then you're free to believe that, I however think it's pretty blatant what they were up to. It was systematical, and it's correlates with Poland winning or getting top. 3 with the televotes, something the juries predicted and wanted to prevent.

Scooby

Should the EBU ban Georgia?

YES

EDC0708

According to this link:

Abide in Me: Eurovision 2015 Rules stress independence of jury

The only difference in the 2015 rules from the 2014 rules is the addition of the paragraph "“Each Participating Broadcaster shall ensure that its National Jury is fully independent and votes in total impartiality. It shall cooperate with the EBU and the independent auditor in connection with all matters regarding National Jury voting.”

Presumably this paragraph has been added because of Georgia's votes last year. Perhaps under the new rules the participating broadcaster is blamed for the vote rigging, rather than the jury themselves.

Mlyn

Banned
An independent audit firm can examine the validity of the jury vote, so that sounds fair to me.

FilipFromSweden

They should not ban Georgia, they should ban the juries (did the juries get banned?).
And if it happens again, then Georgia should be banned.

pyryniemi

No country should ever be banned from ESC. Only broadcasting channels should be banned, but never the whole country.
(iirc Georgia has only one channel in ebu anyway, but my point stands)

Terence

I'd say yes. (And not just for sending garbage songs :lol:)

Or like Filip said, ban the juries, although that wouldn't mean anything at the end...

Top Bottom