zNJQaqH.png

The Queen of Scots is risen!

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

daniels1000

Re: Scotland • 72 • Mogwai - Hound of Winter

WV72
Mogwai - Hound of Winter

Finally the time has come for one of the best known post-rock bands. Despite being a fan of post-rock, I was never really a fan of Mogwai because I found most of their songs rather uninteresting and bland for post-rock standards. However, recently I discovered quite a big number of good songs of them so one should not judge the artist only by a few songs. Maybe I will send them again in the future. Well, "Hound of Winter" is still not really a typical post-rock song. Or a post-rock song at all. :mrgreen:

Where did it go?
I don't know
Where is it now?
Where is it now?
Time hides things
Lies hide things
I hide things
I lose things
Where did it go?
I don't know
Where has it gone?
Where has it gone?
Time hides things
Lies hide things
I lose things
I break things
I forget
I fall away
I'm tired...
I'm tired...

I hope you will enjoy this little beauty! xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Biggest loss from the second semi. This beautiful little song deserved the final. A calming, reflective piece that makes my heart flutter when the music starts to swirl. Do they have more songs in this style, rather than their usual post rock? I remember I wasn't overly fond of the Mogwai song you placed into one of your previous NFs, but this is something totally different. Sorry you didn't make it Daniel:( I'm going to continue to listen to this track over the holiday though. It fits perfectly my mood at the moment. Thank you for sharing itxheart

ShoeFlo

Biggest loss from the second semi. This beautiful little song deserved the final. A calming, reflective piece that makes my heart flutter when the music starts to swirl. Do they have more songs in this style, rather than their usual post rock? I remember I wasn't overly fond of the Mogwai song you placed into one of your previous NFs, but this is something totally different. Sorry you didn't make it Daniel:( I'm going to continue to listen to this track over the holiday though. It fits perfectly my mood at the moment. Thank you for sharing itxheart

In my last PM to Daniel I tried to describe the sound of Hound of Winter

Hound of Winter sounds a bit as if my music taste and Kai's music taste had a baby.

Seems like I was right with this assessment

daniels1000

Thanks a lot for your message and support, Kai! xrose I'm happy to hear you enjoyed "Hound of Winter" a lot. Now I have to remember to spy you on last.fm the next days.
hello.gif

Mogwai have a pretty huge discography so I still don't know all of their songs. However, as far as I know, they don't have many other songs in this style, maybe there are one or two which are kinda similar, but I still like "Hound of Winter" more. They also have some great instrumental pieces like Ether which are not just the usual post-rock songs as their others. This is indeed something totally different from them and that's why I love it. It's my favorite song of Mogwai. I totally agree with your description. I also love the strings very much and that little harmonica is making the song very innocent and even more beautiful imo.

Since you've already asked... :mrgreen: I obviously don't expect you to listen to the songs, but I think these 2 are the most similar songs to "Hound of Winter" so here they are if you want to listen to them:
"Take Me Somewhere Nice" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHO6pbjQ9ec
"Does This Always Happen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ssFUjPH2Do

daniels1000

Thanks a lot to everyone who supported and voted for :sc: in WV72 xheart

:10::is:
:8::lv:::saus
:7::paci::lond:
:6::no::svea::pl:
:5::ca:
:4::lt:
:3::il:::emro
:2:::uusi
:1:::queb

xrose

About my WV73 entry: I've been deliberating a lot about what to send this time. In the end, I decided to go for most probably my 2nd DNQ in a row. I won't give many hints for now. I can say that this artist is special for me and that he/she/them already participated in WV. Also, the album this song is from was released in 2016 and I could have sent every single song from that album. Consequently, I've been helped a little bit by a secret juror who heard all the songs by himself/herself and helped me to choose my entry this time.

Brace yourselves.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

It should have been more. I know 7 isn't a small number but your Mogwai song just continued to grow and grow on me. I probably would have given 12 to it, had it been in the third semi. The second one was just so strong.

edit: Damn, I forgot to listen to those Mogwai songs you shared with me. How rude of me. I will listen to them now.

Consequently, I've been helped a little bit by a secret juror who heard all the songs by himself/herself and helped me to choose my entry this time.

It was tough and there were many greats songs, but I hope you all like the Tallia Storm song I encouraged Daniel to send. I think it's a special one. Thank you for having me as your secret juror.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Scotland • 73

Hello Andy Marshall icon. I love your special brand of atmospheric black metal. You're the only man in the world that can make 13 minute long metal songs and keep my attention from start to finish. You also pull off wearing a skirt so marvelously.

Sincerely, an admirer.

ShoeFlo

Consequently, I've been helped a little bit by a secret juror who heard all the songs by himself/herself and helped me to choose my entry this time.

There are rumours that this secret juror is a very handsome and masculine person

daniels1000

Re: Scotland • 73 • Saor - Autumn Rain

WV73
Saor - Autumn Rain

hKhF1zy.png

xheart xheart xheart

I am sure that you have all missed the king of atmospheric (celtic) black metal in the last 6 editions. After the metal symphony in WV67, now the time has come again for his comeback. This marks his 4th participation in WV and you should definitely not be surprised to see him once again in the future. In the meantime, I will hope that Mario doesn't send Justyna another 242 times because otherwise poor Saor will run out of songs and will never be able to break the record if I decide to do that (he has 14 (let's say 15) songs if there is anyone wondering where is the limit). "Autumn Rain" is a song from a brand new album "Guardians" which was released in November 2016. I've been planning to send something from it since it came out but I wanted to let some time pass after his last participation and it was impossible to choose just one song because all the 5 songs from the album are amazing. That is why this edition there was a secret juror who helped me to choose my entry. He listened to the whole album by himself - without me reminding him or forcing him to do so ;) - and even though he loved all the songs, once he sent me an album review where he especially praised this one, I decided that this would be my Saor entry. After all, he surely deserved to pick at very least one of my entries for being a Saor fan, for continuous support for Scotland, but also simply for being a great and dear friend of mine. In the meantime, "Autumn Rain" is also becoming my favorite song from the album, and especially the flute part around 5th and 8th minute is... in lack of a word which would be wonderful enough ... O M G ... and makes me go "how is this even possible?", but I still want to dedicate this particular entry to him. Obviously the person above is a wizard because he guessed the rumours correctly. Oh my gawd, how did he know. Especially his shoes shine so bright and white. The legend says this secret juror is known as Hvítir Skór, or formally as, indeed, [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION]. Thank you Flo for being my secret juror. Even though you didn't even know this until a few days ago. :mrgreen:

I hope you enjoyed this song as much as the previous Saor songs! xrose

I don't really have expectations but let's hope Saor will soar into the final just like this beautiful piece of bird from the video.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

giphy.gif

p.s. I have 47 Mikal Cronin songs in my itunes.

I don't really have expectations but let's hope Saor will soar into the final just like this beautiful piece of bird from the video.

I saor what you did there.

Further p.s. hot entryxheat Good luckxcrossed

EurovisionSmile

Veteran

This would have comfortably received my 12 points in the final, because Ireland failed so outrageously. Would never get less than 10. One more awesome song from Saor. xlove xbow

And don't worry on repeating singers (especially artists like Saor xrose), I will send some who I already did a dozen more times. :lol: :p

daniels1000

Re: Scotland • 74 • Julie Fowlis NF

JULIE FOWLIS NF
aka the long-and-unpronounceable-song-titles NF

uHPg7IR.jpg
TnMSCqL.jpg

After a very long time, the Scottish folk queen is back to WV. To be more precise, for the first time since my Scottish debut entry "Oganaich Uir A Rinn M'fhagail". I didn't want to put too many songs in this NF but she has a lot great songs and it was very hard picking just a few of them. I used some sort of criteria now but that also means that there will probably be another NF of her in the future.

Please listen to the provided links and not to other videos on Youtube because I want you to judge the live performances where they exist. They are usually even better than studio versions.

1. Biodh an Deoch Seo 'n Làimh Mo Rùin

2. Mo Bhean Chomain

3. An t-Aparan Goirid 's an t-Aparan Ur: Oran do Sheasaidh Bhaile Raghnaill

4. Bothan Airigh am Braigh Raithneach (A Sheiling On The Braes Of Rannoch)

Copy-paste list:
Biodh an Deoch Seo 'n Làimh Mo Rùin
Mo Bhean Chomain
An t-Aparan Goirid 's an t-Aparan Ur: Oran do Sheasaidh Bhaile Raghnaill
Bothan Airigh am Braigh Raithneach (A Sheiling On The Braes Of Rannoch)

Voting system:
:4::3::2::1:
:5::3::1::1:
:5::4::1::0:
:5::3::2::0:
:5::2::2::1:

Pick whichever you want.

Deadline:
Saturday @ 15:00 CET

This is how excited I am to get your votes:
Julie-Fowlis-julie-fowlis-33186473-500-333.jpg

Enjoy and thanks a lot in advance! xcheer

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Bha ::seen a' cur bòtan! Tha mi a' smaoineachadh gum robh NF glè mhath ! Gun tèid leat Dhan! xcheer

ZoboCamel

:jp: has voted in this splendid NF! I don't think you can really go too far wrong here but I've got a favourite nonetheless, so I'm hoping to see it through. Best of luck!

daniels1000

We have a winner. Thanks a lot to :jm:::saus::seen:paci::jp::dk::hr::lv::is: for voting xrose

The winner was a favorite for 4 out of 9 people and 5 people had the same last place. The final ranking looks like this:

1. 30
2. 23
3. 22
4. 15

EurovisionSmile

Veteran

Oh dear, I completely forgot that you were holding a NF. :oops: And I've been lazying in front of my pc while listening to music. :eek: So sorry, Dans! xfacepalm

And the best of luck, my friend! xcheer

daniels1000

Re: Scotland • 74 • Julie Fowlis - Bothan Airigh am Braigh Raithneach

WV74
Julie Fowlis - Bothan Airigh am Braigh Raithneach

VS81TEM.png

Thanks a lot once again to all the voters! Even though I obviously love every song I included in this NF, I'm actually glad
you have chosen this song as the best one because at the moment I love it the most; it's just so beautiful and touching. xheart

Top Bottom