Contact us

Returning Artists - How likely?

Jacketh

It is quite rare that it does happen or is successful, particularly when they've already had success... but one thing that often happens with a ESC winner (particularly the last couple of years with Conchita and Mans especially), is that they won the contest, had huge, prominent roles when their country was hosting it the year after (Conchita's performances, as well as the Green Room host) and obviously Mans this year was incredible... but its rare that their career gets better than that.

Take Alexander Rybak, for example. He is a good example. Obviously when he won Fairytale was massive. He did pretty well after that with Funny Little World and Roll With the Wind, as both ESC winners do with their first album... but after that, in terms of sales and the hype of their music, it is pretty much down hill from there. Nothing tops that year after winning ESC, in both the level attention and commercially.

It will be the same with Mans. Of course, his name is firmly cemented in Swedish pop history being a ESC winner. But again, nothing will top Heroes for him and the attention he's received this year.

So that begs the question... why don't they give it another try? Obviously the famous example is Jonny Logan who has won it twice, and it didn't work out for Lena. But hey, there is the advantage of having a level of attention on you and people wanting to hear your song. I firmly believe Conchita could do well if she brought a bop like Firestorm to the ESC. People would love that!

So, who do you think would be the best returnees that have already won the contest, and should they?

And who do you think is likely to return from this year or from the last few years, but did not win?

AlekS

Veteran
Zlata Ognevich wanted to join the NF this year but changed her mind. Better luck next year? :mrgreen:

Quent91

Verka Serduchka please.

If it's not as a competing artist, I'm sure they will ask Andrey to play Verka as a special act at some time.

Sammy

Veteran
It is quite rare that it does happen or is successful, particularly when they've already had success... but one thing that often happens with a ESC winner (particularly the last couple of years with Conchita and Mans especially), is that they won the contest, had huge, prominent roles when their country was hosting it the year after (Conchita's performances, as well as the Green Room host) and obviously Mans this year was incredible... but its rare that their career gets better than that.

Well Conchitas career is quite ascending. She just sang in the sold out Sydney Opera House with the Sydney Symphonic Orchestra (I can't remember ANY eurovision winner in doing that), she's having a very successful tour and she's preparing the new album. I think that's not the last we have heard from her.
But that's a bit off-topic.

I think we will have a bunch of returning artists in the national finals. (I'm hoping for Elly V. for instance). Let's see how many make it to Eurovision...
I would like to see again Zlata Ognevich for Ukraine, Paolo Meneguzzi for Switzerland (or Italy) and maybe Zoe for France? :lol: (Since she got more points in the televote than Amir :mrgreen:)

bstream

Loreen, possibly in a few years.

In terms of national finals, Ace Wilder (Sweden) will participate a couple more times and possibly make it through to ESC, she could possibly do well.

Franklin (Malta) will probably keep competing, he'll probably make it to Eurovision one year, and make top 10 akin to Gianluca.

Daniel Testa (also from Malta) will keep competing and eventually make it to Eurovision. I have no idea how he will do, his songs and diction have declined steadily since he first started entering MESC.

revallsay

For me:
Valentina Monetta for :sm:
Verka Serduchka for :ua:
Željko Joksimović :rs:

I really want Kaliopi to return again. Her song was absolute rubbish this year, I want something on the level of Crno i Belo!!

Alevender

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verka Serduchka for :ua:, also Zlata Ognevich for :ua: would be a great choice.
Valentina Monetta for :sm:
Pasha Parfeny for :md: xheat
Russian chorus - Dina Garipova, Tolmachevy Sisters, Polina Gagarina & Sergey Lazarev for :ru:

Brandt

Loreen, possibly in a few years.
I really don't think she would return. She achieved a success with a huge favourite song and managed to reach the record number of 12 points. Why would she risk this reputation?

ESCFr

Russian chorus - Dina Garipova, Tolmachevy Sisters, Polina Gagarina & Sergey Lazarev for :ru:

LOVE LOVE PEACE PEACE
And a million balloons in the air
PEACE PEACE LOVE LOVE
And tied long hair

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Danijela Martinović (:hr: 1995, 1998) is interested in returning to ESC :D

I also remember reading somewhere that Severina (:hr: 2006) wouldn't mind going to ESC again, but only with very good song

Romeo

Donny Montell posted on facebook "Preparing for the next year's Eurovision"

could he try again?

Alaska49

zeljko joksimovic returning in the next two years even if just as a songwriter is pretty much certain, specially now that jamala won. too bad for me, i have liked 0 of his 5(!) contributions to the contest :(

ScarlettGirl

If anyone were to return in Norway, it would probably be Bettan or something. I don´t think anybody else would want to.
There is always Valentina Monetta though :mrgreen:

WhoKnows

zeljko joksimovic returning in the next two years even if just as a songwriter is pretty much certain, specially now that jamala won. too bad for me, i have liked 0 of his 5(!) contributions to the contest :(

Other than his own two entries, what were the other three he wrote?

Top Bottom