Nothing more that I can say
Says it in a better way

Nothing more that I can say
Says it in a better way

I’ve tried, alright
But it’s killing me inside
Thought you’d be by my side always

DanielLuis

I mean both the semi-final juries and the final regional juries rated "Degradê" highly so I think the "juries will automatically kill a bop at FdC" myth can be laid to rest.
If "Degrade" had a stronger live performance that could pull in televotes as well it would have easily been MARO's main (only really) contender.

Sammy

Veteran
I mean both the semi-final juries and the final regional juries rated "Degradê" highly so I think the "juries will automatically kill a bop at FdC" myth can be laid to rest.
If "Degrade" had a stronger live performance that could pull in televotes as well it would have easily been MARO's main (only really) contender.
Degradê a bop? Did I miss something?

titityy

Did we all hear the same entry?? This moves exactly nothing in me... Stone dead. Doesnt even make me long for going back to Portugal...
Well, you know we all have different musical tastes so that should explain :) I have the same issue with the Swedish song this year, everyone keeps saying it's so emotional but I don't catch the feeling (it's a good song for sure but just does not personally move me)

macmillanandwife

Well, you know we all have different musical tastes so that should explain :) I have the same issue with the Swedish song this year, everyone keeps saying it's so emotional but I don't catch the feeling (it's a good song for sure but just does not personally move me)
Yeah, I had the same reaction. Sweden's song also didn't move me but it is still a good song. She does have a raspy singing voice similar to Bonnie Tyler (to a lesser degree), so I think that's what making people think it's "so emotional."

This entry has emotion, and it's so subtle and well done! The song is a great example of the meaning of "Saudade." It's both melancholic but cathartic at the same time.

I would be quite happy if she manages to reach the top-15 again. Portugal has been doing really well balancing different music styles while keeping its national identity since they won. I really like that.

Last edited:

Decayingbooks

I mean bop in a more mainstream sense, "Dé.Gradê" is a bop but it's a very alternative type of song, it literally sounds like a Steve Reich composition meets kuduro.

Iker

Veteran
Both songs move me, I mean from Portugal and from Sweden this year albeit in different ways. They are also in pretty different musical styles in which they both excel.

Loindici

Veteran
MARO was once collaborating with Jacob Collier.

She's a gem I see xqueenbitch

Zerocalcare

Buongiorno amici, I want to show you the reaction of Gianni Bravo Ska who impressed me a lot for his sincerity and his sweetness.

Many fans battle each year to try to promote the songs they love, they are always dissatisfied and very critical always looking for something they don't even know what it is, they want catchy songs that can ruffle their hair or power ballads so much deep and articulate to move them mercilessly. Then, by the way, they witness catchy but forgettable songs and technically perfect ballads songs but cold as an icicle. "Saudade Saudade" is as simple, sweet, warm and minimal as the emotions themselves should be. Not only in this historical period, "Saudade Saudade" invites us, listening to its notes, its hand claps and its silences, to take time to embrace each other and to dance slowly together or to think of those who are far away with nostalgia.

The emotions that Maro gives us are appreciated much more than the too refined and ostentatious emotions of Salvador Sobral. Upgrading to :12: points! I hope Maro wins in Turin 😉

If you are looking for a song that is underrated, don't tire yourself too much. It is called "Saudade Saudade".

lacrymea

Buongiorno amici, I want to show you the reaction of Gianni Bravo Ska who impressed me a lot for his sincerity and his sweetness.

Many fans battle each year to try to promote the songs they love, they are always dissatisfied and very critical always looking for something they don't even know what it is, they want catchy songs that can ruffle their hair or power ballads so much deep and articulate to move them mercilessly. Then, by the way, they witness catchy but forgettable songs and technically perfect ballads songs but cold as an icicle. "Saudade Saudade" is as simple, sweet, warm and minimal as the emotions themselves should be. Not only in this historical period, "Saudade Saudade" invites us, listening to its notes, its hand claps and its silences, to take time to embrace each other and to dance slowly together or to think of those who are far away with nostalgia.

The emotions that Maro gives us are appreciated much more than the too refined and ostentatious emotions of Salvador Sobral. Upgrading to :12: points! I hope Maro wins in Turin 😉

If you are looking for a song that is underrated, don't tire yourself too much. It is called "Saudade Saudade".
I had already seen this sweet sweet man's reaction and loved it. He is as warm as 'Saudade, saudade'. ❤️

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I haven't been able to stop listening to Saudade, Saudade since it won the selection. It's such a beautiful, haunting song that deeply soothes. I liked it very much from the get go but with each listen my fondness grows stronger to the point now where I think it may quite possibly become my favourite Portuguese entry ever.

There's just something so warm and comforting here that manages to float above the melancholy. It's gorgeous dream pop. Such entries are rare enough at the contest and when they do come they tend to lack a weightiness that I not only long for but need with this kind of music. I think a big part of that is down to MARO's rich, earthly vocals. The performances I've watched, particularly the acoustic and piano versions are mesmerising. Saudade, Saudade is a poignant song I can get lost in for hours. It's so, so very good

:12: points for this tender, sincere entry. I hope it does very well at the contest.

FilipeGolias

Oh another fado zzzzzzzzz
Bring back Suzy!
What?! 🤣

Free lesson: not every slow/calm song in Portuguese with the word "saudade" is necessarily fado.
In fact, incredibly so, fado has yet to make a competitive appearance for Portugal in ESC. If we don't count 1976, which was the closest we had. But you probably never reached that far back.

FilipeGolias

I haven't been able to stop listening to Saudade, Saudade since it won the selection. It's such a beautiful, haunting song that deeply soothes. I liked it very much from the get go but with each listen my fondness grows stronger to the point now where I think it may quite possibly become my favourite Portuguese entry ever.

There's just something so warm and comforting here that manages to float above the melancholy. It's gorgeous dream pop. Such entries are rare enough at the contest and when they do come they tend to lack a weightiness that I not only long for but need with this kind of music. I think a big part of that is down to MARO's rich, earthly vocals. The performances I've watched, particularly the acoustic and piano versions are mesmerising. Saudade, Saudade is a poignant song I can get lost in for hours. It's so, so very good

:12: points for this tender, sincere entry. I hope it does very well at the contest.
Even surpassing APD ?! 😱

• Scream
Reactions: Mrm

kamc

I really hope she will perform in Eurovision in Concert because I can imagine the whole arena just singing along in harmony with her😍

Top Bottom