Says it in a better way

Nothing more that I can say
Says it in a better way

I’ve tried, alright
But it’s killing me inside
Thought you’d be by my side always

Loindici

Veteran
Portugal really minds about sustainability, that stage floor shape has been around for ages.

Ladynoir

Here it is:

I'm hoping she will have live backing vocals on stage with her. They add so much magic to the performance xheart

Btw, Maro's network of musical friends is just impressive: at her right-hand side is Spanish singer Sílvia Perez Cruz.
The way I cried while listening to this live version... I don't even know how I'll recover if she doesn't win FDC. She ate the whole national selection season. xcry

Zeus

I quite like Saudade as well, altough this can go two ways with a live performance plus staging. It could be uplifting and happy, or it could be more artistic, magical, bit dark.. I would prefer the latter. Make it atmospheric and maybe use black/red colour scheme..

goncalovieira

Ok.
Seems that Maro has a "real nice and touching staging".
Let's wait for the images. xheat
(Streets information. I am not 100% convinced. Let's remember rumors about the participants).

Last edited:

goncalovieira

Maro's staging has kinda "hippie" vibes. Kinda chill.
It looks fine!

Decayingbooks

Maro's staging has kinda "hippie" vibes. Kinda chill.
It looks fine!
The staging was meh, she is alone on stage with a microphone stand. we saw it a million times before and we will see it again a million times in future, overhall I was very disapointed.
The live version that she published had something special about it and if Maro wanted to bring it into the stage she needed people with her.

FilipeGolias

The staging was meh, she is alone on stage with a microphone stand. we saw it a million times before and we will see it again a million times in future, overhall I was very disapointed.
The live version that she published had something special about it and if Maro wanted to bring it into the stage she needed people with her.
Agreed. Even sitting on a stool while playing an acoustic guitar would've been much better than that.
Maybe something will change for the 2nd rehearsal *hopeful*

lacrymea

Didn't see it yet, but if that's all there is... Yeah, disappointing. I think the song had true potential to go for something different, more artsy at least :-/

Decayingbooks

Didn't see it yet, but if that's all there is... Yeah, disappointing. I think the song had true potential to go for something different, more artsy at least :-/
You can see the snippets in the festivaldacancao.rtp instastories on instagram and you can see the snippets from monday and yesterday on the "Ensaios" thingy(not sure how they call it), from the snippets Jonas have the most interesting staging so far and the Peperonni Passion guys will have a birthday party on stage with cake and Iceland 2021's graphics

DanielLuis

So I finally had time to listen to the songs properly, just in time to be ready for the live shows.

MARO - Saudade, saudade: Easily my #1 in this NF. I don't share the same over the top expectations that I've seen some people preaching in social media, that this could potentially be a dark horse to give us the 2nd win in May. I'm afraid it won't even win FdC. It would be a pretty risky choice because it's that type of song that might be hard to stage and to connect with on a first listen, so it could really range from being a NQ to being a surprise top 10. But nevertheless I would easily choose this because there's something special about that beautiful orchestration, and the lyrics of the song, it givess off such a longing kind of vibe, like hard-hitting nostalgia for some sort of situation that I can't even describe, while still being pretty zen and leaving me optimistic and happy when the 3 minutes are over. Really hoping MARO can sell this live.
Pongo x Tristany - Dégrá-dê: And this is the easy runner-up choice for me. Yes it's a bit messy when it comes to the composition, but it's hard hitting and impactful on the first listen, it's fun and upbeat (and we all know that's lacking in FdC) and it has loads of staging potentital if done right. The moment Pongo enters the song could be absolute fire if RTP play their cards right when it comes to staging.

Aurea - Why?: Yes, it does take a long long while for it to get going, but it's growing on me with each listen. It's the most likely winner still, which would leave me underwhelmed based on the studio version, but the truth is Aurea is an hell of a performer so I'm pretty sure that she'll elevate this like crazy live. Plus, rumours of a revamped verson were floating around (which could really make a huge difference on this one).
Os Quatro e Meia - Amanhã: This is easily the biggest grower for me. I didn't pay much attention to it on the first listen, it seemed like a pretty banal middle-aged boyband sort of ballad but the instrumental is actually really nice and soothing, and the song has a very satisfying climax. Just think the lyrics are a bit weak.

Blacci - Mar no Fim: I really enjoy this one. Hopefully this will break the trend of the token Brazillian-born entry being underrated on FdC and will be the first one to reach the final because it absolutely deserves too. Hopefully the staging will match the epic vibe of the instrumental.
Fado Bicha - Povo Pequenino: Another grower. It kinda feels like it has potential for a more powerful ending in the last chorus, but it's decent and I'm sure they'll bring a great performance live.
Diana Castro - Ginger Ale: I know this is not for everyone but I absolutely love this style of Portuguese indie pop. Just wish the repetition of "Ginger Ale" in the chorus wasn't so annoying.
Inês Homem de Melo - Fome de Viagem: Like Passe-Partout on steroids and hallucinogens. It's bonkers, kinda messy, but I do have a soft spot for it and I'm sure Inês will be hella charming on the live performance.
Syro - Ainda nos Temos: I understand why it's a favourite but it's just so typical. It's sound like 90% of the songs played by any Portuguese straight male pop artist when you turn on the radio. It does have potential and it's growing on me but I would still be somewhat disappointed if it ends up winning at this point.

Norton - Hope
MisterDriver - Calisun
Pepperoni Passion - Código 30
Jonas - Pontas Soltas

Milhanas - Corpo de Mulher
Kumpania Algazarra - A Minha Praia
Cubita - Uma Mensagem Tua
FF - Como é Bom Esperar Alguém
Vampiro Submarino - Ao Lado de Mim

Valas & Os Astronautas - Odisseia
Os Azeitonas - Solta a Voz e Canta: I have to write a comment about this one because it's actually insulting that a band like os Azeitonas would bring such a piece of dross to FdC. The lyrics are beyond ridiculous, it sounds like a rejected anthem for some 90's kids show. Worst entry since the rebrand of FdC for me.

Overall it's a pretty good edition of FdC, though I would say most of the songs are growers and need a few listens before you can really appreciate them. I don't agree with some people that say it's the best one yet, for me it ranks behind 2021 and 2019, and is pretty much at the same level of 2018 and 2020.
When it comes to the winner I would still bet on Aurea, I'm pretty sure she has the jury win on lock and the televoting will probably be strong enough to give her the win. I'm hoping MARO, or somehow Pongo x Tristany can surprise though. Either way, I doubt I'll end up disappointed with our representative in Turin.

Also, I'm really hyped for the stagings based on the little rehearsal clips RTP is posting, it seems like they're trying harder than usual already in the semi-finals this year. Hopefully some of the songs will still get a glow-up in the Final, like it's been the norm in FdC in the past couple of years.

goncalovieira

There is a bit more of Maro's rehearsal in FDC instagram page.

Top Bottom