Maybe not tonight​

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrm

Veteran
EU.CLIDES has my fave song of the NF season for now, probably! xbow

AAUvwnipXk73zwcnVycscsxrPJjBLHHarbqaIcHSMrFPVVQ=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Mrm

Veteran
Pedro Gonçalves - "Não Vou Ficar" is very interesting actually, it reminds me of Brazilian pop, the voice is very mainstream though..

JChan

Just had a full on cry listening to "Love is on My Side" so I think I've found my new favourite

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey y'all!!

well after listening and relistening to every song participating at FdC I think that this year is a little bit more disappointing than previous years. As a whole many songs sound similar and then there's a few that although they are very promising there's not a moment where they "explode" and shine. But overall they are perfectly produced and waaaaay better than the old days of FdC.

HOWEVER this year we have some MAJOR songs (at least IMO). I'm happy just for knowing that there's at least 3/4 songs that if are staged perfectly can actually do quite well at ESC. At least qualifying to the final.

My absolute fave is NEEV with "Dancing in the stars" and I don't think the jury will destroy it as some think. Let's not forget that Pedro with "Don't walk away" in 2017 got 5 points from the jury and 8 from the televote at the final. "Dancing in the stars" is extremely emotional and if well performed can rank quite high both with the jury and the televote. At eurovision I can see this easily making into top 5.

My second fave is Carolina Deslandes. I think both the jury will eat this up and it's one of the biggest "threats" to NEEV. But I can actually see NEEV performing better at the televote than Carolina.

So my guess would be: NEEV performing better at the televote and Carolina better with the jury.

My third pick is Karetus but I cannot see this performing well during the live show. I have the same feeling I had with Blasted last year (But I hope I'm wrong)

Studio version: GREAT
Live show: Meh...

They really need to do something outrageous and crazy.

My fourth and last pick is a tie between Pedro Gonçalves and The Black Mamba.

I really hope one of this wins FdC with NEEV being my absolute the fave. Followed by Carolina and Karetus.

I can actually see NEEV winning this, but I might be seeing this with fanboy goggles xD

tuorem

Okay, I finally had the opportunity to listen to the new lineup. I hoped for some gems since FdC gave me four last year, which was more than any other NF. All of them flopped eventually, but that's beside the point. :lol:

I have to say the 2021 lineup did not thrill me as much, overall that is a tad too homogeneous for its own good: many songs seem similar and - dare I say - not very competitive. The ballads fall flat and the more "uptempo" acts lack a proper melody to have an impact on me.

Yet I found two stand-outs, it's not much but I really enjoy them. Here is my ranking as of now:

01. Karetus & Romeu Bairos - Saudade
02. EU.CLIDES - VOLTE-FACE

03. Sara Afonso - Contramão
04. Nadine - Cheguei Aqui
05. Carolina Deslandes - Por um Triz
06. mema. - Claro Como Água
07. Joana Alegre - Joana do Mar
08. Tainá - Jasmim
09. Valéria - Na Mais Profunda Saudade
10. IRMA - Livros
11. Da Chick - I Got Music
12. Ana Tereza - Com um Abraço
13. Ariana - Mundo Melhor
14. The Black Mamba - Love is on My SideDa Chick - I Got Music
15. Pedro Gonçalves - Não Vou Ficar
16. Miguel Marôco - Girassol
17. Graciela - A Vida Sem Acontecer
18. Fábia Maia - Dia Lindo
19. NEEV - Dancing in the Stars
20. IAN - Mundo

"Saudade" was an instant favourite. To me, it's a mix between "Rebellion" and my theme song "Tuoremóveis", very clean and dark composition, contemporary arrangements combined with typical Portuguese dramatic flavour. They could have used a tad bit more work for the chorus, but it is not that big of a deal. I even like the drop. One question though: why the autotune? Is that a stylistic choice or the sign they cannot sing? I hope it's the former option. Pick this and I'd welcome Portugal back in my personal top. I will not hold my breath though, I just want to avoid unnecessary disappointment.

"VOLTE-FACE" is my second favourite. I really vibe with this atmospheric and sparsely arranged track. EU.CLIDES's voice is nice, the subtle beats, the hints of guitar and the distant things going on in the background make that effort really interesting imo. I will be real, it probably has minus chances of getting past the bottom of the second semi of FdC, but I appreciate the fact it's in the competition, especially in this lifeless batch of entries.

The rest goes from "eh" to downright offensive. If NEEV stands a chance, then he will have to become de facto my pet peeve like "Pëndese" in Albania. In my opinion, it is the most unseasoned dish on offer there: Norway 2010 and Israel 2016/2019 all say hi. And the songtitle itself was already a deterrent for me. Let me take my luxurious Mikaela Minga costume, I'll be on my way soon.

I guess I'll have to tune in in two weeks. Despite the devastating results, I enjoyed the show last year. :)

Last edited:

FabiESC

So also here i'm late, but better than never....

01 mema. – Claro Como Água 8/10
02 Karetus & Romeu Bairos – Saudade 8/10
03 NEEV – Dancing In The Stars 7/10
04 Pedro Gonçalves – Não Vou Ficar 6/10
05 IAN – Mundo 5/10
06 Ariana – Mundo Melhor 5/10
07 EU.CLIDES – VOLTE-FACE 5/10
08 Graciela – A Vida Sem Acontecer 4/10
09 Ana Tereza – Com Um Abraço 4/10
10 IRMA – Livros 3/10
11 Carolina Deslandes – Por Um Triz 3/10
12 The Black Mamba – Love Is On My Side 3/10
13 Nadine – Cheguei Aqui 2/10
14 Sara Afonso – Contramão 2/10
15 Joana Alegre – Joana do Mar 1/10
16 Miguel Marôco – Girassol 1/10
17 Da Chick – I Got Music 0/10
18 Fábia Maia – Dia Lindo 0/10
19 Tainá – Jasmim 0/10
20 Valéria – Na Mais Profunda Saudade 0/10

In last year's they had not much songs that i like, this year it didn't change, most of the songs are not my thing. I really like the songs from my top 4, so Portugal still has a chance to be high in my ranking, i really enjoy the winners from the last two years.

HayashiM

Veteran
After my disappointment with Festival da Canção's quality last year, I only started to listen to this year's entries now... And I am probably gonna have to apply some Dobby-style wall-headbanging for doing it so late.

I'll take some time to process things before I even consider ranking the songs... but holy smokes, I absolutely love this selection!

DanielLuis

Now i noticed how deadly semi 2 is. And NEEV on 10!?

As always FdC ends up having a full on stacked semi with the majority of the favourites. I don't know what will it take for RTP to learn that they need to manually distribute the songs through the semis in order for things to be balanced.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
they seem quite balanced for me? at least semi 2 seems to have a more obvious outcome, with carolina, neev and probably pedro in. joana likely in as well. and then the last spot open. semi 1 has karetus, probably both valeria and nadine and maybe mema. last spot i'm unsure.

but then again many zebras like the rebelgium can happen sooooooooooooooo...................

MAD20

I also think they're pretty balanced. My prediction:

Semi 1:
-Karetus & Romeu Bairos
-mema.
-Miguel Marôco
-Valéria
-Nadine/IAN

Semi 2:
-Joana Alegre
-NEEV
-Pedro Gonçalves
-Carolina Deslandes
-Eu.Clides/Graciela

It may seem Miguel Marôco, Graciela and Joana could be sure NQ, but their sounds are kinda different to the rest we have in the festival. Here in Spain a song in the mood of these three could actually be liked by many people, so maybe in our dear neighbour Portugal it's the same. I love them indeed, but not sure how they'd do in the real contest. NEEV, Karetus or mema. seem the most sensible options in my opinion for Eurovision.

PD: What are they waiting for to upload the songs to Spotify????? Come on Portugal:(:(

njdevils94

Veteran
they seem quite balanced for me? at least semi 2 seems to have a more obvious outcome, with carolina, neev and probably pedro in. joana likely in as well. and then the last spot open. semi 1 has karetus, probably both valeria and nadine and maybe mema. last spot i'm unsure.

but then again many zebras like the rebelgium can happen sooooooooooooooo...................

It seems odd to put Valeria and Nadine both early close to eac other in the running order. Are they sabotaging the fado?

Top Bottom