5 3.6%

4 2.9%

7 5.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

jatojo

The main problem here was her voice, so weak that you couldn't understand the melody
Yes, a big problem. They must have worked a lot in the studio to create that sound on the studio track. Still, as a pop song, it's in the top 5 of 2024.

It reminds me of how it went with "The Ride" - also one of my personal favourites, although I knew there was a problem with the vocals.

VirginiaVision

To add to what's already been said about the staging, the delegation dropped the ball by not having the camera on Luna during the title line of the chorus. The song's called "The Tower", she's literally at the top of a tower at the end of the performance, yet we don't see her saying "I'm the one who built the tower". That and "I'm the one who holds the power" are the type of lyrics where you want the singer looking to the TV audience and selling the message

Looren

Veteran
Staging was very amateurish, vocals meh, song forgettable and it got lost in the first half, predictable NQ here

BorisBubbles

Veteran
It's kind of like death by a thousand papercuts, isn't it?

Like, i genuinely feel like the creative team made a bunch of smaller mistakes, and it was enough to snowball into an NQ. Although Poland on paper should have been an easy qualifier.

• Luna's vocals were not good, obviously.
  • The key of the song was lowered (I could tell - I've listened to The Tower a disturbingly high amount of times :X) to fascilitate Luna better, but she still couldn't do it (and it made the soundtrack sound worse)
  • Then there's the addition of live off-stage backings, who were mixed in poorly and were therefore overpowering Luna.
  • This comes on top of that staging doing all of those things :beckons arm: which made singing even harder. We all remember how Roxen disemboweled Cherry Red and the other songs as soon as she had to do anything beyond "standing still". This is another example of that.
  • Finally, all the chess symbolism Poland tried to shove into the visuals which looked good, but the song frankly didn't need.

Poland misunderstood the assignment; They chose a fun, plucky electropop song by an artist with little on-stage experience and failed to fascilitate her artist. That's not on Luna but on TVP. Luna needed an act where she doesn't have to move much and therefore can concentrate on her voice - My head-staging for this was just the giant dress and ribbons from the music vid - that would have done quite well, especially since you can stack dress-upon-dress to metaphorically transform Luna into the titular tower without tiring her out.

It's not like Poland lacked a vision or a budget - The Tower, for all its sonic flaws still looked good. My mother who did NOT like the song at all, said so multiple times throughout the night. The problems were of a logistical nature, and they failed to compromise accordingly.

Let this be a lesson for future broadcasters; TRUST YOUR SONG. And stage according to its rhythm and its intepreter's needs. Ensure that they can perform it to the best of their capacity. Ireland did that, and have become a fan favourite as a result. There was no reason Poland couldn't have accomplished that either - but they didn't, and that's why they failed.

han-g

Not surprised at all.

Can't wait for the mythical Polish Diaspora (TM) arguments next year though!
They've already kind of begun. Polish fans have said there was a huge media storm against us (think Netherlands 2023) and the diaspora would have known and influenced to not vote. Which um sounds really horrible for Luna if that's the case.

AlekS

Veteran
I mean, we had Lithuania, Ukraine, Germany, Ireland, UK voting
A few Polish toxic "fans" started hateful campaign against Ukraine (their most loyal ESC ally recently) just 1 day before the semi (also fueled by Russian and certain Balkan fans).
They tried really hard to shoot themselves in both feet. But we don't pay attention to haters, anyway. Sick people do not represent the whole nation :cool:

Our delegations are very friendly btw xlove We sticked together and we left the Green Room together. Alyona protected her from the wind when Luna was freezing at the Turquoise Carpet. Luna was interested in our social campaign and the girls had fun together :lol:

The performance received 60-70% negative rating from our ESC community. Toxic Polish fans/nationalists attributed less than 10% to that. The main reasons why we didn't vote for her, and I quote both, fans and ordinary viewers: bad vocals, messy staging, aggressive Youtube promo (when her ad starts before literally every video it's too much).

Last edited:

ixic

Studio version of this song is fantastic. Vocally it was not strong enough, but that would also be acceptable because it was not critical, but what was critical was everything els. The scenes with horses wer just tragic that made me ashamed. Costumes were also tragedy. The performance itself was a huge mess. They should have done something like they did in music video, which is excellent.

CatTully

A few Polish toxic "fans" started hateful campaign against Ukraine (their most loyal ESC ally recently) just 1 day before the semi (also fueled by Russian and certain Balkan fans).
They tried really hard to shoot themselves in both feet. But we don't pay attention to haters, anyway. Sick people do not represent the whole nation :cool:
They sadly dragged her rightfully.

John1

I'm so gutted about Poland NQing, though Luna wasn't at the best yesterday. The main issue was her vocals. This wasn't it, at all.

Milos-BC

I am surprised she didn't make it. I expected she would make it instead of Cyprus. But I think the combination of shaky vocals, somewhat inappropriate staging for this type of song (though, I personally liked it) and the draw resulted in this outcome.

I am gutted that RTS interrupted the transmission exactly during this song, a song that I like :(

Nonetheless, I am sure :pl: will come back much stronger next year.

Realest

Dont like to admit it, but everything here (except the Song) was pretty bad.
I planned to vote for her a few Months ago, but after that Performance, I couldnt.
Hope :pl: comes back stronger next Year.

toinou03

It's a shame because I like the song, the chorus is pretty cool (although verses are pretty bad) , but the whole performance was meh.
The chess number was not as great as probably expected and Luna seemed embarrased to be there.
All in all, severe but deserved NQ.

Top Bottom