Sayonara - さよなら。- Good bye
Dewa Mata - ではまた。 - See you Later
Mata Ashita - また明日。- See you tomorrow
Genki desu ka? - 元気ですか。- How are you?

---------------------------

Names

nekoisneko

Finally, Japanese thread xyaay

I'd like to share some Japanese lesson that I learned :)

それでわ もう、ちょっと待って下さい !!

nekoisneko

氏は何を待っている?
^^ your typing is little bit wrong, :lol:

well, just wait till I teach some Japanese Basic lesson. :D

I think I'll start with the Japanese letter (except Kanji letter, it's quite difficult to explain and my Kanji skill is very very bad :lol:) , how to read it, and how to speak in japanese.

nekoisneko

why on earth you learn Romaji in Japanese ? :lol:

Romaji is only how Japan people translate their letter into Roman Alphabet. that's why it's called Romaji.

and Kanji is so so complicated :lol:

In Japanese, there are two way to spell it and it will affect to the meaning.

and more complicated, how you speak in Japanese ! (but I don't find this is difficult, because my traditional language also has 4 ways to speak :lol:)

there are 4 way to speak in Japanese

1. Formal, and speak to person in the same level (e.g. with your partner in work)
2. Formal, and speak to person that has higher position (e.g with your boss, parents)
3. Formal, and speak to person that has lower position (e.g. with your staff)
4. Informal (usually you will find it in anime, dorama, your friends and just like "Umgangsprache" in Deutsch)

nekoisneko

Ok, as I said, I'll share what i've learned when I was in High School.

So, basically, there are 3 types for Japanese Letter : Hiragana , Katakana, and Kanji (but I won't explain about Kanji because I haven't master on Kanji :lol: )

1. Hiragana  『ひらがな』

Japan people usually use this type almost in every thing (even if you can't write Kanji, they can accept if you use Hiragana Letter).
In newspaper/magazine/manga you can see there are Hiragana letters in top of the Kanji !! The function is to make sure the meaning and the spelling of Kanji.

In Japanese, there are 6 vowels (A, I, U, E, O) and each letter (except vowels letter) consists of 2 roman letter/1 syllable.

2. Katakana 『カタカナ』

Katakana letter is used to write words that are not originally Japanese (borrowed words) and for foreign (outside Japan) name. The rules are just like Hiragana, only the type that different. :)

for excample you write "computer" is not ぱそこん but パソコン

Here it is, the table of Japanese Basic Letter :

hiragana_katakana_list.gif

FYI :
Seion: Pronunciation of a clear sound.
Dakuon: Pronunciation of a muddy sound.
Handakuon: Pronunciation of a middle sound of Seion and Dakuon.
Yoon: Pronunciation of a distorted sound. "ya", "yu", and "yo" are added under other Japanese syllabaries. (Generally they are written small.)
Sokuon: Choked pronunciation of sound. Breathing is stopped and pronounced. Indicating with small "(tsu)".
Chouon: Pronunciation which lengthens vowels. The symbol of " ー" is used. It is used for borrowed words, a interjection "あーい " and "フロワー ", etc.

So, that's all for Basic Japanese Letter, now you can write your own name with Japanese Letter! :D

SpZ

They also sometimes use katakana in the way as latin script uses either bold or italic (to highlight some point) as far as I know.
And if you want to teach people how to write their name in Japanese, you should most likely also explain the way how they replace letter combinations they do not have. Eg the name Silvi turning into Shirubi (don't have kana script installed and too lazy to find it in google). Because that is like the most difficult thing among writing European names in Japanese (when I studied Japanese only me and 2 other people I think could write our names in Japanese so it would transliterate back into the same name. (not to mention that transliterating goes based on the sound of the name, not the characters... eg in the name David you should use Japanese Dei rather than Da).

(most likely getting too into details though)

nekoisneko

^^

Oops, sorry. I skipped with the letter replacement.

I'll explain it.
as we know, that in Japanese, there are no "J, L, Q, V, X"

So,

for J (dj not yot), we use ”ジ” +little vowel

for L, we replace it with "R" letter, for example, "Luna" will be "Runa" (ルナ)
and if the letter L in the end or in the middle, just replace it with "Ru" (ル), e.g. Michael will be "Mikaeru" (ミカエル)or Alfred will be "Arufuredo" (アルフレッド)

for V, we replace it with vowel "U" but with double apostrophe + the little vowel ( ヴ has sound like V)
e.g Silvia will be "Shiruvia" (シルヴィア)

for Q, we replace it with "Ku" letter + little vowel, e.g Qantas will be "Kantasu" (クァンタス)

For X, we replace it with "Kusu" (クス), e.g Alex will be "Arekusu" (アレクス)

Additional Information

For Ch (like Channel) replace it with "Chi" letter + little "ya"/"yu"/"yo" or little vowels (depends on how you spell it)
e.g. Channel will be "Channeru" (チャンネル)or Chester will be "Chesutaa" (チェスター)

For Ch (like Michael) replace it with "K" letter, e.g. Michael will be "Mikaeru" (ミカエル)

For name with the last letter "R", replace it with long symbol "ー”
e.g Chester will be "Chesutaa" (チェスター)

For consonant (except T and D), you give them "U" (for T and D, give "O")
e.g Tom will be "Tomu" (トム)or Red will be "Reddo" (レッド)

For double consonant, put little "tsu" before the letter that has double.

For Sch, or Sh, just replace it with "Shi" + little "ya"/"yu"/"yo" or little vowel
e.g. Schumacher will be "Shumakaa" (シュマカー)

For Ti (like Tiara), replace it with "Te" + little i . e.g. Tiara (ティアラ)

For Ck (like Jack), replace it with little "tsu" + "Ku". e.g Jack (ジャック)

For C (like Ibrahimovic), replace it with little "tsu" + "Chi". e.g. Ibrahimovic (イブラヒモヴィッチ)

If you have any question, feel free to ask :)

choyceyn

あの、あなたは日本人ですか。

hijirio

Veteran
Watashi wa daigakude Nihongo wo naratte imasu kara kokode hanashitai desu.

Top Bottom