5 2.9%

17 9.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Neely

I think generally the wider UK audience is still attuned to the wackier songs as that’s the old fashioned image of Eurovision we’re still fed by the media. It has evolved, but the media’s presentation of Eurovision hasn’t.

Over the last decade, the contest has become more ‘serious’ and that’s been to its benefit. Certainly in the UK over the last 3/4 years, there has been a change in discourse surrounding Eurovision to something more positive - and less on the old fashioned view of it - but it’s fighting against the stereotypical and old fashioned media view of it.

Maneskin, Rosa Linn, Loreen, Alessandra etc have all charted in the UK recently - something that just did not happen bar Loreen with Euphoria back in 2012. The UK has seemingly fallen in love with it more as the contest has evolved and become more serious.

Of course fun acts are still part of the contest and should be. At no point have I said otherwise, it’s when they’re done like this (and more so Finland this year) that’s my problem. All that hard work to improve the image of Eurovision (from a UK perspective) goes down the drain…

And again, that’s my opinion it’s a pale imitation. I have not said it as a fact whereas you’re stating your view that’s it’s a good song as fact.

Both views are equally valid. And their opinions most of all, no facts are involved. We’re entitled to look at it differently you know.

As for your Beyoncé point, your view of her is indifference - which is an opinion which is just as valid as those who love her and those that don’t. I’m indifferent to her too so we agree there - see how that works? It’s an opinion we both share, many others will not. That’s how opinions work.
As an 'old fart' of a fan whom grew up watching ESC in the 80s I'd be more inclined to blame the UK media and people's blinkered perception of the contest than the actual content.

For the majority of the 90s the contest was pretty much ballad dominated and quite serious with uptempo songs like Gina G very much the outlier in years 1994-1996 when the appetite was more for ethnic and celtic songs. At the time I perceived it as a deliberate shift away from the 'Diggi Loo Diggi Ley' and 'Making Your Mind Up' material and fun, colourful performances of the 80s to make the contest seem more respectible. It felt more of a genuine 'song' rather than performance contest but less relatable to the current music scene than ever before and certainly wasn't attracting many new fans.

Did the general UK audience or the media change their view of the contest during the 90s? Of course they didn't. It was still parodied or dismissed as a waste if time as if it'd be full of songs with 'Boom Bang A Bang' style lyrics when only 'Yamma Yamma' fitted that description. I remember Iceland's 'Sjubidu' being derided for the 'Shoo Be Doo" lyrics despite being a deliberately retro jazz song rather than some oompah oompah type song.

Joost hasn't quite clicked with me yet and whilst I could see a potential win for Baby Lasagne I too would personally worry about a song title like 'Rim Tim Tagi Dim' being listed in the media as the latest winning song, but that's just because I bear the years of scars and derision for liking the contest when it was distinclty uncool. The general audience have no such hang ups and are more likely to vote for 'Rim Tim Tagi Dim' and 'Europapa' than the hardcore fans and yet also simultaneously deride the contest for having these very songs. It's just one of those oddities and hypocrisies we have to endure.

DirtyFalcon

It's so weird. I find this song absolutely silly in a bad way and annoying to listen, also a bit political but in the same time, i found myself sing "Europapa" unconsciously this morning when i was walking. So maybe the unconscious part of me loves it but the conscious one absolutely hates it. I don't know what to think.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
:nl: has annoyed me in the ESC for the last 25 years or so. I LOVE Dutch music. Eurodance, trance, hardstyle, :nl: produces quality EDM, and has done so for a very long time. And yet, they've never sent any of it to the ESC, and I've been disappointed every time the Dutch entries have been announced. Until now. xheart I've been wanting to boycott this contest this year (because of Izrael), but when :nl: finally sends something I like, I don't think I can.

Easily :12: from me.

b4ld3r

Every single "novelty" entry/party song/whatever you want to call them this year are of equal quality or better than the rest of the field. All of them are hits in their respective countries, Netherlands and Estonia especially. Maybe Finland is the exception, as that is more of a "funny" staging than an actual song to listen to, but it's still charting in the top 50 on Finnish Spotify a month later. People should not panic I think, we are not back in the 00s quite yet.
I think branding this as just novelty is a bit reductive, just because it's "funny" (not counting the outro of course) doesn't mean it's any worth less musically. If an act like say 100 gecs took part, would people write them off as just novelty as well?

And I really don't understand why people worry about Joost damaging the "reputation" of the contest. Most countries still send relative nobodies, even Sweden that is taking the contest "seriously" hasn't sent a proper "big" artist with an actual music career independent of Mello since the Ark in 2007. Most of the songs disappear from the international charts within a week after the final, a Rosa Linn or Måneskin are one in a milion. Every year we have at least a couple of unserious acts, I prefer them to be actual pieces of music like this than something like Yodel it or Zero Gravity or My Lucky Day.

With all that being said: This is probably my favourite song of this year! The gabber breakdown at the end is awesome, the chorus is incredibly catchy, it all feels very modern. If the Käärijä effect means we get native language songs performed by popular artists that are as good as this, then I never want it to end quite frankly.

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Every single "novelty" entry/party song/whatever you want to call them this year are of equal quality or better than the rest of the field. All of them are hits in their respective countries, Netherlands and Estonia especially. Maybe Finland is the exception, as that is more of a "funny" staging than an actual song to listen to, but it's still charting in the top 50 on Finnish Spotify a month later. People should not panic I think, we are not back in the 00s quite yet.
I think branding this as just novelty is a bit reductive, just because it's "funny" (not counting the outro of course) doesn't mean it's any worth less musically. If an act like say 100 gecs took part, would people call that write them off as just novelty as well?

And I really don't understand why people worry about Joost damaging the "reputation" of the contest. Most countries still send relative nobodies, even Sweden that is taking the contest "seriously" hasn't sent a proper "big" artist with an actual music career independent of Mello since the Ark in 2007. Most of the songs disappear from the international charts within a week after the final, a Rosa Linn or Måneskin are one in a milion. Every year we have at least a couple of unserious acts, I prefer them to be actual pieces of music like this than something like Yodel it or Zero Gravity or My Lucky Day.

With all that being said: This is probably my favourite song of this year! The gabber breakdown at the end is awesome, the chorus is incredibly catchy, it all feels very modern. If the Käärijä effect means we get native language songs performed by popular artists that are as good as this, then I never want it to end quite frankly.
I was going to like your post until you dragged three entries I adored xcry (one of them was even my #1)

empo21

Veteran
Is there actual hype around this entry or is it doing well in Netherlands/Dutch fans hyping it up?

b4ld3r

If this draws first half of the grand final, the first lines of the song makes me think they might put this as the opener.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I've decided this is my night of giving. The Netherlands, for your adorableness and making me smile (for once) at Eurovision, I'm upgrading your score to :12: points. I haven't stopped listening to Europapa since it released. Joost just brings me joy.. and it's kind of strange as generally I'm really not into this sort of old school eurodance kind of thing. I find Austria and Finland both acceptable (love neither though) but The Netherlands have struck gold with their whole package. It's loveable, snuggable and weirdly wholesome. Team Joost!

Ezio

Veteran
This will get all the available televotes

Top Bottom