• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

EscGeek

Veteran
Take my biggest :12: of the season Papa Joost xyaaay

This is my new leader and i think it's time to throw in the Personal W****r word inxdance2

Given that Windows95man was "only" my 2nd place in UMK behind Cyan Kicks, it would feel really weird if he held the lead unttil the end. There had to be something brewing in other countries that would make me fully invested in. My gut feeling did not disappoint me. In the past few days i was hyping up myself by his song "Wachtmuziek" on repeat hoping that it will be at least as good and he delivered!xmusic

I was excited and smiling throughout the song on the very first listen but the hard bass at the end took it to the next level. 2024 is all about the 90s coming back and My top 3 at the moment reflcets that. It's almost creepy if you think about it :lol:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
The first two lines:
"Europe, let's come together" (+ many EU flags in the music video): advocating for countries to join the EU
"It's now or never" (could be read as "now" before the ruZZian Empire invades you)

Other lines:
"Welcome to Europa, stay here until you die" (could be levelling criticism at the EU in general)
"Fortunately don't need a visa to be with you" (supporting the idea of the Schengen area - mocking countries like :bg: or :ro: )
"So take the bus to Poland or the train to Berlin" (indicating that German trains are superior to Polish ones - that Poland's infrastructure isn't as advanced and modern as in other parts in Europe so that visitors have to take a bus instead)

So many political lines before the first chorus occurs....
EBU in shambles.
I hope this is sarcasm. (there's no telling with you Germans.)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
"Europapa" is more political than that song about "dancing" (the 2nd option recorded by Eden which allegedly got rejected by the EBU as well)
So technically, it's not a joke just to be "funny" - it's about how the EBU applies double standards when it comes to the lyrics/messages of songs coming from different countries (and some fans follow them).

The first two lines:
"Europe, let's come together" (+ many EU flags in the music video): advocating for countries to join the EU
"It's now or never" (could be read as "now" before the ruZZian Empire invades you)

Other lines:
"Welcome to Europa, stay here until you die" (could be levelling criticism at the EU in general)
"Fortunately don't need a visa to be with you" (supporting the idea of the Schengen area - mocking countries like :bg: or :ro: )
"So take the bus to Poland or the train to Berlin" (indicating that German trains are superior to Polish ones - that Poland's infrastructure isn't as advanced and modern as in other parts in Europe so that visitors have to take a bus instead)

EBU in shambles.

What I need to know though is was the line about fish and chips a complimentary one or were they mocking the English delicacy? I will adjust my score accordingly.

0scar

EBU in shambles.

Don't battle this one out over the Dutch entry, it doesn't help your case as you think it does in all honesty. Coming from someone who agrees that I do not see any real grounds for the EBU to ban the second Israeli song based on the lyrics I've read, but I can also see why that is a totally different case than this is.

0scar

What I need to know though is was the line about fish and chips a complimentary one or were they mocking the English delicacy? I will adjust my score accordingly.

Hahahahaha
If you want to know, Joost sings that he doesn't want any escargots or fish and chips, that's basically it

Mainshow

Veteran
I was being sarcastic, obviously.

I genuinely apologise (but I really don't) to let the burst of my German sense of humour explode in this thread.

(but yeah, I was also trying to point out that this entry is as "political" as Eden's second song).
In today's world, we could read many politicial subtexts in such songs and they somehow exist in here too (if you really want to interpret these lines that way).

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for :nl: to reach the GF - it's a lovely fun entry.

MopManMoss

Veteran
You are right the EBU should remove this song on the basis of misinformation as no sane individual would praise Deutsche Bahn

Mainshow

Veteran
Hahahahaha
If you want to know, Joost sings that he doesn't want any escargots or fish and chips, that's basically it

Joost is comparing escargots and fish and chips and put them on the same level?!?!
@RainyWoods he's really mocking the British :(

oh and if we think of not wanting "escargots" (France) and "fish and chips" (UK), we could interpret as the :nl: (a country in which a right-wing politican won the latest election) not wanting to be influenced by foreign politics :D

(OK. I will stop now... I drank too many espressi.. [thank you Italy and shame on Joost for not referring to the excellent and divine taste of :it: coffee culture).

Mainshow

Veteran
Btw, I know that it's allowed to refer to other singers/people in ESC songs but is Joost allowed to name a song title?
Have we had such "incident" before?

(Joost is referring to Stromae and his song "Papaoutai").

Mainshow

Veteran
We literally had a whole ass songs about Charlie Chaplin, Mary Magdalene and whoever Mrs Thompson was.
I know that songs about other people/artists/historical figures are quite common but I couldn't think of ESC entries actually referring/mentioning song titles but here we go:

Oh! Never heard that entry! I guess I need to check some of the older and less known entries :D

Top Bottom