6 4.2%

5 3.5%

2 1.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Magimixer

What do you mean when you say the population is not on board? Why not? Is it because of low song quality in the NF or something else?
When I say the population isn't on board I mean nothing is done to get them remotely interested in it. Tali's song isn't played on any of our radios (a part from RTL, occasionally - and RTL is not the most popular radio), Luxembourg's Arts Council (very active in general, including on social media) doesn't talk about Eurovision or Tali, and when a rare article in published in the media, comments are negative about ESC and about the way RTL didn't live up to what they promised and favoured "international" composers, producers, etc. instead of Luxembourgish ones.

Magimixer

This is permanent. Luxembourg is here to stay. They won't be as classic Luxembourg used to be however.
I hope so, but we've changed governments very recently and I'm not sure they'll be willing to hand out one million euros to RTL (again, a non-public broadcaster) every year if they carry on like this. Actually, I hope they won't.

jatojo

Just to name an example of how uneven the two semis are: Luxembourg is currently 5th in the odds for semi-final 1, while Denmark is 11th in the odds for semi-final 2. But in the overall ranking, Denmark is six places OVER Luxembourg. It's quite remarkable.

(I don't know if we have a mathematician in this forum, but it's hardly within the borders of likelihood, is it ...? (Given that the overall ranking corresponds to a popularity contest, and the odds in the semis represent the actual results.))

HayashiM

Veteran
Just to name an example of how uneven the two semis are: Luxembourg is currently 5th in the odds for semi-final 1, while Denmark is 11th in the odds for semi-final 2. But in the overall ranking, Denmark is six places OVER Luxembourg. It's quite remarkable.

(I don't know if we have a mathematician in this forum, but it's hardly within the borders of likelihood, is it ...? (Given that the overall ranking corresponds to a popularity contest, and the odds in the semis represent the actual results.))
One's position in the odds to win is not very informative for lower positions, because we are talking very small numbers. Denmark and Luxembourg both have very similar odds across the markets (lower than 0.5%) and the only relevant information you can take from those is "neither is going to win". Establishing order for near impossible events and then drawing conclusions from the order of those probabilities doesn't make much sense in this case.

The odds for semifinals are for qualification, which is a lot more significant, because the probabilities are much higher. Even countries that are last in these odds have a fair chance (>10%). To put things into perspective, every single country has a higher probability of qualifying than Croatia (current n°2) has of winning. So here, comparisons make more sense.

Overall, it's a nice coincidence, but not with much meaning. It would be more telling if we had most of odds favourites in one semi.

jatojo

One's position in the odds to win is not very informative for lower positions, because we are talking very small numbers. Denmark and Luxembourg both have very similar odds across the markets (lower than 0.5%) and the only relevant information you can take from those is "neither is going to win". Establishing order for near impossible events and then drawing conclusions from the order of those probabilities doesn't make much sense in this case.

The odds for semifinals are for qualification, which is a lot more significant, because the probabilities are much higher. Even countries that are last in these odds have a fair chance (>10%). To put things into perspective, every single country has a higher probability of qualifying than Croatia (current n°2) has of winning. So here, comparisons make more sense.

Overall, it's a nice coincidence, but not with much meaning. It would be more telling if we had most of odds favourites in one semi.
Thanks.

The odds are still the best "poll" we've got when it comes to accuracy. It is fine-tuned because it is a list that is several months old and focuses on a relatively simple performance (unlike sports where you have injuries etc to take into account). So even tiny percentages have a reason, and as we can see in recent years, the end results are relatively close to what was predicted (unlike fan polls).

In any case, we don't need the bookmakers to tell us that semi-final 1 is the weakest - it's quite evident. :)

Magimixer

We now know who our 'commentators' for ESC will be. Super happy that Desirée Nobusch will be giving the Luxembourg votes, but disappointed about our commentators - a RTL presenter (Roos) who knows nothing about ESC and Mr Saur, a politician & alderman (like WTF, how is this even possible?? Seems unethical to say the least) who knows about ESC but not about commenting.
Oh, and don't get me started on the two doing the live English commentary… Heard what they did during the LSC (n)

Anyway, at least RTL is finally getting something done... And I want to be positive now!!! (trying very hard!)

Magimixer

Here is Tali doing 'Fighter' in a super cool version on the piano this weekend. I really like it!

crashworld

Veteran
Now we are going into the contest in a couple of weeks time. This song is sitting comfortably in my top 3. Love my girly pop and so upgrading this to a :10:. Though the revamp did nothing to elevate the song, but I am used to it already.

Top Bottom