Contact us

Luxembourg LUXEMBOURG 2018 - Not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
luxembourg_640.png

jimijoop

Banned
Re: LUXEMBOURG 2018

I heard the new hod is Pro-ESC so maybe they will be back.

tuorem

If they ever return (which is unlikely because the channel doesn't fit the EBU's criteria anymore), I hope they'll keep sending songs either in French or Luxembourgish for ever. I would rather see them not coming back than jumping on the English-language bandwagon like everyone else.

Many Luxembourgish entries have become classics despite the language barrier, they should keep that in mind.

prime

It might just be me who's stupid, but in what way does the voting system hinder the micro-states from being successful in the contest? Like both Iceland and Malta have smaller populations than Luxembourg does, yet they still manages to do relatively decently in the contest (Ira Losco, Yohanna, Gianluca Bezzina, Pollapönk)??

DanielLuis

It might just be me who's stupid, but in what way does the voting system hinder the micro-states from being successful in the contest? Like both Iceland and Malta have smaller populations than Luxembourg does, yet they still manages to do relatively decently in the contest (Ira Losco, Yohanna, Gianluca Bezzina, Pollapönk)??

I think that is just more a cover than anything. That's not the real reason they don't want to participate, as you said Iceland and Malta have lower populations and can do well when they send competitive entries. The real reason is probably because they are afraid of the costs of hosting in case of a win, like it's said in that article. But they need to realize that: a) Winning is very hard, there's more than 40 countries competing for 1st place, so they shouldn't avoid participation just for that reason and b) if they really couldn't host it after a win, they don't have to!

A-lister

Veteran

The argument that :lu: is a "micro-state", while actually having a larger population than :mt: and :is: and not much less than :me:, is a bit, well, not too accurate but also a tricky one.

If we actually take a look at the population, :lu: functions in a similar way as :mc:, :ad:, :sm: and :li: in the sense that a healthy portion of the official population are de facto not "actively" living in :lu:, they are merely registered there as a way to avoid taxes in their respective home countries, :lu: in particular is strategically very well placed in the middle of Benelux region, France and Germany, having rich people from all those countries register themselves in :lu: while work and maybe even live in one of the other countries. It's hard to say how large portion of the Luxembourgese population that consists of these "faux" citizens, but I think it's big enough that :lu: indeed would struggle similarly as the other micro-states and can't be compared to mentioned, on paper, smaller countries. Looking back at their history in ESC, how many of their entrants were actually even from :lu:? As far as I recall, majority were called in from :fr: and :be:.

Top Bottom