Contact us

Least amount of entires in native language record?

GWTW1939

Assuming Montenegro will sing Montenegrin there will be only 7 countries that are singing in their own language and not English

Finland
Romania (bilingual, but still counts)
Montenegro
Portugal
France
Italy
Spain

This must be a new record or at least tying another

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
It is saddening indeed to see so many countries turning to english. Serbia is one of the biggest upsets.

I remember watching an interview last year with Emma from Italy, and they asked her why she was singing in Italian, and she said she was singing in Italian because she had respect for her language and country. Which I found quite funny - throwing some shade at all the non-English speaking participants singing in English.

SpZ

Assuming Montenegro will sing Montenegrin there will be only 7 countries that are singing in their own language and not English

Well last year there were only 5 majority non english songs, so things are actually improving!

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Well, last year there were three fully in the native language and six more in partially the native language, so things, depending on how you view them, may be looking up, actually.

ZoboCamel

As others have said, we've got more native language entries this year, and less bilingual, so I don't think things are particularly an improving or worsening this year. Hopefully we can see Top 5 results from Italy and Spain, and perhaps even a win, to show Europe that national languages still work in Eurovision!

Bench

I most of the time don't like songs in their own language, especially those east-european languages. Than its more difficult to appreciate the song for me and I need to hear these songs a lot more to start liking them (if I ever going to like them).

DaFlo

Banned
It is saddening indeed to see so many countries turning to english. Serbia is one of the biggest upsets.

I remember watching an interview last year with Emma from Italy, and they asked her why she was singing in Italian, and she said she was singing in Italian because she had respect for her language and country. Which I found quite funny - throwing some shade at all the non-English speaking participants singing in English.

Emma xqueenbitch
but she had no real choice because she doesnt even speak english very well :lol:

Dante

As long as it doesn't become a general practice, I think it's fine to have more countries singing in English this year.

Top Bottom