Contact us

Juries & Televote

Scooby

Re: TURKEY 2013 - not taking part

Nothing was changed with jury in majority of countries. Especially not with ex-SSSR and Scandinavian countries.

CC92

Nothing was changed with jury in majority of countries. Especially not with ex-SSSR and Scandinavian countries.

NDR jury gives 80%-90% to blond countries every year. That's not less obnoxious. TRT has done the same with Muslim countries though. :|

A-lister

Veteran

NDR jury gives 80%-90% to blond countries every year. That's not less obnoxious. TRT has done the same with Muslim countries though. :|

What is a 'blond' country? :lol:

It's true that TRT tend to give the top points to Muslim countries though. Usually 12pts - Azerbaijan, 10/08pts Albania and Bosnia.

Venage

In case of the juries it at least has nothing to do with diaspora votes rather than taste. It's obvious that the juries of say Germany favour Western European music over Eastern European music as they are used to that type of music.

A-lister

Veteran

In case of the juries it at least has nothing to do with diaspora votes rather than taste. It's obvious that the juries of say Germany favour Western European music over Eastern European music as they are used to that type of music.

Well if that's how the juries are working then they should not be juries in this contest in the first place. Juries should have an open mind about music imo.

A-lister

Veteran

Primary the Nordics and Germany's western neighbours. No-gos are Central Asian, Balkan and CIS states.

I'm no expert on the German juries, but in general the juries have a western bias but I don't think that has to do with ethnics though rather with a very narrow-minded view on what ESC should sound like.

Venage

Well if that's how the juries are working then they should not be juries in this contest in the first place. Juries should have an open mind about music imo.

In my opinion they do a good job at diminishing the impact of diaspora votes this way. An open mind can never remove personal/cultural taste.

CC92

Why didn't they vote for the Azerbaijani entries then? They should suit 'Western tastes' perfectly. And it's far from obvious as the public seems to be much more open-minded towards Eastern European music and I'm not talking about Turkey here.

A-lister

Veteran

In my opinion they do a good job at diminishing the impact of diaspora votes this way. An open mind can never remove personal/cultural taste.

Juries shouldn't be there for the only reason to diminish the impact of diaspora votes, and actually they're not really doing much of a good job at doing that anyways.

Juries should be some sort of "experts" in music, if you can't have an open mind about music in a contest like ESC then you shouldn't be in the jury there. If the juries are voting for countries then they are not better than diaspora voters.

CC92

Primary the Nordics and Germany's western neighbours. No-gos are Central Asian, Balkan and CIS states.
I'm no expert on the German juries, but in general the juries have a western bias but I don't think that has to do with ethnics though rather with a very narrow-minded view on what ESC should sound like.

I really think it is both. Entries by Eastern broadcasters often do not sound any different from mainstream music and yet they get ignored most of the times. Also I know the NDR jurors from 2011 and given their usual preferences I daresay that The secret is love was most probably not their favourite song.

BGN

Juries were removed for corruption and not transparent vote and it's some kind of strange and ridiculous to bring them back with the intention to make the voting more fair.
And since the return of the juries the following countries won: Russia, Norway, Germany, Azerbaijan and now Sweden - all of them could afford hosting big shows and throwing money. It's the same with qualifiyng countries from the semis.
It's quite obvious what's going on.

Jim

Juries were removed for corruption and not transparent vote and it's some kind of strange and ridiculous to bring them back with the intention to make the voting more fair.
And since the return of the juries the following countries won: Russia, Norway, Germany, Azerbaijan and now Sweden - all of them could afford hosting big shows and throwing money. It's the same with qualifiyng countries from the semis.
It's quite obvious what's going on.

In 2008, when Russian won the contest, we had juries only in the semi-finals. From each semi-final, 9 qualifiers were decided from televoting and 1 qualifier from the juries (that that were in the highest place in the jury voting). But I agree with you, in the case that all that nations that won the contest from 2008 till 2012, are countries that can afford hosting the contest!

Top Bottom