• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
My first :12: of the year! "La Noia" isn't reinventing anything, but it's such a charming, full of energy song. It was my second favourite after "Tuta Gold". Honestly, this line-up had more competitive songs that we'll probably get in the entire 2024 one.

Mainshow

Veteran
I'm glad she's confirmed that she'll be flying the Italian flag in Malmö.
It's a great entry - instant and catchy; the arrangement makes it even more memorable. It's a lovely change for :it: to send a female up-tempo entry and on top of that, it even sounds refreshing.

I can't help it. Another :12: from me - finally another contender besides :ua:

I bims

Veteran
I don't like the song. It really sounds like a dated eurovision song from the 2009-2012 era and not like something that actually won Sanremo, what happened 💀 To me it's not really catchy, I immediately forgot how it goes, can't sing along (has nothing to do with the language barrier) and parts of the instrumental during the verses really annoy me.

It's a :5: and I can tell this is a song that I will dislike more and more.

nudiecrudi

Such a fantastic performer the girl is.
This afternoon exhibition in a historic TV show post Sanremo

Ajeje Brazorf

I wish you a surprise win in the Eurovision Song Contest, Ajeje. I pray that Angelina is your Måns, that she manages to become one of the mediocre winners of the contest.

I don't think we will win, since usually our girls are not so popular in Eurovision or so it seems (we achieved our worst three placements since our return with three girls... Really unfortunate, I hope this can change because I find Angelina entry stronger than L'Amore è femmina, La mia cittá e Nessun Grado di Separazione), but between the podium finishers of 2015 I would have chosen Måns too. As you already know I despise Grande Amore, and let's be honest that song Is full of clichèes and the lyrics are not that good (Ginoble singlehandedly award them a third place because of his stunning voice), I liked Polina at first but that song grown off of me quite quickly. So I'm ok with Måns being the 2015 Eurovision winner even if my favourites that year were Belgium and Estonia.

Jupiter

Such a fantastic performer the girl is.
This afternoon exhibition in a historic TV show post Sanremo

She's so adorable xheart I love her expressions and her movements (and how unbothered her vocals are by all her movement), she's really charismatic. I can see both Jury and televote love her.

Fluke

Okay, so Italy seems to be trying a Chanel-type entry here, though a bit more old fashioned, in fact it feels right out of 90s ESC, which is not a good thing. The stage feels a bit constricting here, because of the conservative nature of the Italian selection. I'm guessing that they have another idea for the staging here, we'll have to see what that is. I picture ladies with red dresses spinning around for some reason.

The song is overly wordy, like always from Italy, but the hook easy to remember, but still not that special. It's gonna come down to the performance and staging, and this is really a brand new thing for Italy in the context of ESC, and there's no obvious precedent to how they'll handle staging this. Actually this kind of music is a big part of Italy's popular music legacy that they've neglected in favor of ballads by 35--year old men in suits.

It's not going to be one of my favorites, and it's gonna have a hard time stacking up against similar entries from Luxembourg, Malta and probably more countries to come, but a top 15 finish should be in reach for this. If they get massive support from juries even top 10, but they'll really have to find a way to distinguish themselves from the other similar entries this year.

mup

Back here to write! :)

Sanremo 2024 has just finished and will be remembered as a record year: revenues up over 60mln €, peaks of 18 mln viewers and 85% TV share and a clash between 2 southern-flavoured debutants in the end: Campania vs Basilicata.
Some established names came out very badly in the final ranking and the most likely to win at the starting line, the beautiful Annalisa, ended up 3rd once again despite a successful year behind her. I guess what they say about the papal conclave applies in this case too: (s)he who enters the conclave as pope, leaves it as a cardinal.
Watching some performances I noticed that Angelina managed to secure a win with personal charisma on stage, she was hungry for that trophy. The Geolier phenomenon was denied the 1st place to contrast an heavily adulterated televote carried out by what I call "Neapolitan supremacists". Since autotune is forbidden in ESC, Geolier wouldn't have done so well, I think. Bullet dodged, thanks juries. The voting system in place is right and it would be foolish to scrap it.
I don't know how the European audience will react to our entry in May but since manager Marta Donà is back again I hope she can take care of Angelina's road to ESC like she did with Marco Mengoni and Måneskin.
Some interesting entries in Sanremo this year can testify Amadeus' work in rejuvenating the Festival and including more contemporary tunes and proposals. I liked Clara's entry and voice, Santi Francesi's performance, Annalisa, Angelina, Mahmood, Dargen D'Amico... even Ricchi e Poveri as guilty pleasure. :p Luckily a lot less ballads in the superfinal so Eurofans can be pleased. :LOL:

Regarding this thread is, as usual, filled with hostilities and nasty comments thrown at this or that country, so I avoided logging in too much. (n) Luckily the Italian forum I read has a more wholesome mood.

The winner certainly has music in her blood, being the daughter of singer-songwriter and musician Giuseppe Mango and singer Laura Valente (they both took part in Sanremo). As you know by now, Angelina lost her father in her teenage years, when he died while holding a performance, but she also lost her uncle (her father's brother) 2 days later because he had an infarction at the wake. :cry:

Fun fact: after 10 years the young woman winning Sanremo hails from the region of Basilicata like Arisa in 2014.

Ajeje Brazorf

Okay, so Italy seems to be trying a Chanel-type entry here, though a bit more old fashioned, in fact it feels right out of 90s ESC, which is not a good thing. The stage feels a bit constricting here, because of the conservative nature of the Italian selection. I'm guessing that they have another idea for the staging here, we'll have to see what that is. I picture ladies with red dresses spinning around for some reason.

The song is overly wordy, like always from Italy, but the hook easy to remember, but still not that special. It's gonna come down to the performance and staging, and this is really a brand new thing for Italy in the context of ESC, and there's no obvious precedent to how they'll handle staging this. Actually this kind of music is a big part of Italy's popular music legacy that they've neglected in favor of ballads by 35--year old men in suits.

It's not going to be one of my favorites, and it's gonna have a hard time stacking up against similar entries from Luxembourg, Malta and probably more countries to come, but a top 15 finish should be in reach for this. If they get massive support from juries even top 10, but they'll really have to find a way to distinguish themselves from the other similar entries this year.

Lol, this song has literally nothing in common with Chanel, literally, nothing. "La Noia" isn't a latin pop number like "Slomo" was, the fact it's rhythmic doesn't mean it's meant to be a dancy number.

Even the music has nothing in common with Slomo: one is a modern cumbieno (which, by the way, has Colombian origins) with typical mediterranean instrumentation, the other is a latin pop song with a dance number in it. The fact two girls are singing and moving a lot on stage during the performance does not mean they are the same thing. I don't know if you dance, but it's like saying Waltz and Polka are the same thing because in both two people are dancing. Just saying.

Last edited:

ag89

Musically, this has nothing to do with SloMo, like c'mon. Fast rythm is the only thing where the two could potentially be compared. The structure of the song is also far from what Luxembourg and Malta have this year.

Magimixer

La Noia was in my top 5, so very happy about the result!
Also, same composer as the Luxembourg Song :p
San Remo takes a looooooong time to watch but wow, so many great songs. If other countries could just muster a tenth of what Italy offers, that would make a great ESC!

Ajeje Brazorf

Back here to write! :)

Sanremo 2024 has just finished and will be remembered as a record year: revenues up over 60mln €, peaks of 18 mln viewers and 85% TV share and a clash between 2 southern-flavoured debutants in the end: Campania vs Basilicata.
Some established names came out very badly in the final ranking and the most likely to win at the starting line, the beautiful Annalisa, ended up 3rd once again despite a successful year behind her. I guess what they say about the papal conclave applies in this case too: (s)he who enters the conclave as pope, leaves it as a cardinal.
Watching some performances I noticed that Angelina managed to secure a win with personal charisma on stage, she was hungry for that trophy. The Geolier phenomenon was denied the 1st place to contrast an heavily adulterated televote carried out by what I call "Neapolitan supremacists". Since autotune is forbidden in ESC, Geolier wouldn't have done so well, I think. Bullet dodged, thanks juries. The voting system in place is right and it would be foolish to scrap it.
I don't know how the European audience will react to our entry in May but since manager Marta Donà is back again I hope she can take care of Angelina's road to ESC like she did with Marco Mengoni and Måneskin.
Some interesting entries in Sanremo this year can testify Amadeus' work in rejuvenating the Festival and including more contemporary tunes and proposals. I liked Clara's entry and voice, Santi Francesi's performance, Annalisa, Angelina, Mahmood, Dargen D'Amico... even Ricchi e Poveri as guilty pleasure. :p Luckily a lot less ballads in the superfinal so Eurofans can be pleased. :LOL:

Regarding this thread is, as usual, filled with hostilities and nasty comments thrown at this or that country, so I avoided logging in too much. (n) Luckily the Italian forum I read has a more wholesome mood.

The winner certainly has music in her blood, being the daughter of singer-songwriter and musician Giuseppe Mango and singer Laura Valente (they both took part in Sanremo). As you know by now, Angelina lost her father in her teenage years, when he died while holding a performance, but she also lost her uncle (her father's brother) 2 days later because he had an infarction at the wake. :cry:

Fun fact: after 10 years the young woman winning Sanremo hails from the region of Basilicata like Arisa in 2014.

I like to add to your resume an advise for all those who like Italian music to go listen to some of the works of Pino Mango, which was one of the major innovators of Italian music in the '80s and '90s and precursor of the "Mediterranean Pop" genre.

• Like It
Reactions: mup

Paco Roca

If we study the structure from a compositional point of view, songs of this kind can be constructed in three ways:
  • Fast sound and slow vocal flow.
  • Slow sound and fast vocal flow.
  • As in "La Noia", fast sound and fast vocal flow (to which are added some vocalizations and expressions that have the function of increasing the frills).
These three forms have the ultimate aim of creating dynamism through contrast.

I agree with Ajeje, who says that "La Noia" may recall Chanel's work but does not resemble it. Cumbia (pre-Columbian sound and dance mixed with African dance and sound) mixed with electronics, Trap spoken accents has nothing in common with Chanel. "SloMo" is more dynamic, seductive, more dance and less lyrics. "La Noia" is more "static", with profound and elegant lyrics.

It was better that Fluke had voiced "It's not my cup of tea."

These considerations are made by someone who loved "Tuta Gold". Having overcome the disappointment of Mahmood and Irama's defeat, I realize that Angelina's song (which was in my Top 3) is worthy of the ESC.

The 2024 edition of Sanremo was monstrous. BorisBubbles rightly said that Italy has never brought this to Sanremo. However, in Italy there have always been products of this kind but in Sanremo they left room for the ballad. In 2024 we had a "hit invasion". Most of the songs could have done well or very well on ESC. Precisely this tough competition has created friction between various fans. Everyone deserved to win.

Regarding the choreography, Sanremo is lacking because they take care of the sound and vocal part first (which is the basis) and then it is not possible to do much given the space taken up by the orchestra which elevates the songs and puts the singers' voices to the test as a test.

I repeat. "La Noia" could be Sobral 2024 or Michielin/Emma. It's a quality song but with many unknowns.

lilka

This is absolutely amazing, my favourite and a 12 from me in the ranking.

Top Bottom