6 3.6%

6 3.6%

6 3.6%

53 31.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajeje Brazorf

I will stay true to myself and evaluate only the song. From a song perspective this is better than the catchy mess Unicorn was. Unicorn received a :7: from this man right here, so Eden will receive an :8:.

PS: I hope someday we will have a Eurovision without political implications, but I seriously doubt it and my love for the competition Is getting thinner and thinner year after year. I hate to see everybody being the Holy Inquisition, expecially referring to ESC youtubers, when we Westerners know literally NOTHING of what is happening there. And when I mean nothing, I mean nothing.There is no right or wrong in a war, there Is war. Full stop. And then there are trifles... Eurovision song contest is a beautiful trifle for all of us here, but again, it's a trifle. Let's not mix the two, thank you all.

Last edited:

Realest

I will stay true to myself and evaluate only the song. From a song perspective this is better than the catchy mess Unicorn was. Unicorn received a :7: from this man right here, so Eden will receive an :8:.

PS: I hope someday we will have a Eurovision without political implications, but I seriously doubt it and my love for the competition Is getting thinner and thinner year after year. I hate to see everybody being the Saint Inquisition, expecially referring to ESC youtubers, when we Westerners know literally NOTHING of what is happening there. And when I mean nothing, I mean nothing.There is no right or wrong in a war, there Is war. Full stop. And then there are trifles... Eurovision song contest is a beautiful trifle for all of us here, but again, it's a trifle. Let's not mix the two, thank you all.

:se: last year was an unpolitical winner.

musicfan

Music - ok, but nothing like as amazing as Israelis will insist. Not the best ballad. The Serbian song definitely has more variety and feeling to it, more freedom.

The lyrics - well that gets us onto a whole other topic of course.

What a farce. Sending the same song various times under different titles, slightly changing the lyrics. We all know what it's about still, and I see Israelis even bragging about it on the internet with the song and video. I suppose education is responsible for people only caring about the affected on one side.

Let's not forget they sent a peace song (an idea later copied by the Russians) way back in the 2000s after having a war back then. And obviously when there isn't a war there's been plenty going on in between.

Oh and the old cliched argument that anyone who is anti-Zionist is somehow also anti-Semite comes up here several times. It's a defensive mechanism activated when cornered.

As for Eurovision and politics. If you didn't do all the flag waving and just saw them as entries from a broadcaster maybe it wouldn't have to be about politics. But I suppose that gets the viewers, at least in some places. Though with the Israeli broadcaster probably not that independent of government anyway maybe they could still break the rules.

Note that not everyone who has been been involved in conflict has felt the need to put forward a political song, I'd say the BBC is a case in point.

Phoenix

Regardless of the context I am generally not a big fan of their entries, but this is a towering triumph and easily their best song since The Fire In Your Eyes. Both of them also share this haunting and captivating quality that just can't be ignored :12:

aef

Obviously it's hard to only judge the song. Eurovision always claims to be non-political but still it is political in many cases...

Talking only about the song, listening to the lyrics without the hypocritic context, I'd say it's a decent song. Nothing thrilling but still decent. :5: points, I guess.

Would be :0: when voting based on context.

jeriswani

Awful, talentless, deluded. But that’s enough about KAN. The song is just not good. The lyrics are lazily done. A hard :0: from me. But appreciate it as i did need a toilet break.

Avi-Ramos

I mean.... There are no doubts that Eden can sing.
This is so exciting . so many people against a song because of the country. and unfortunately its an amazing singer and a nice song which is hard to ignore. why not.... some action .

Fluke

Okay, so i'm gonna try and give it the fairest review that i can. I admit i wanted to hate this, and i do, even for non-political reasons. I expected it to be traumatically horrendous. It is just merely horrendous.

It's just what i expected in so many ways. It's "dark, emotional and artistic" in the same way as Russia's "Scream" and "I Won't Break". If the similarities to the latter, and Belarus failed 2021 attempt are obvious, the entry itself is more like "Scream", in trying to prove how serious they are. Yet like the two latter ones mentioned, it's almost intentionally not that good or appealing to the masses.

The thing is, to me it's obvious they don't want to succeed. They know they're going to get booed, that there will be protests in Malmö and some local TV commenters are going to make political comments about wether it's right for them to be in it, or whatever. It's all a political stunt to them. The participation is not the point, the aftermath is.

They're probably not going to qualify. Practically zero Eurofans or normal viewers are going to like it, politics aside. Most countries don't have a bunch of brainwashed pro-Israel fanatics with enough money to spend, to call in and vote in a contest they'd never watch anyway (because to them it's all LGBT and pro-muslim propaganda etc.) and it won't be enough to qualify.

If this gets more points than the absolute masterpiece "D.G.T.", something's seriously wrong.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I have held of commenting on the song until I had adequate time to listen and judge. Musically and lyrically it's not changing the face of Eurovision, but as I have said multiple times, being different and daring doesn't necessarily make something good. This is simple, pleasant and reminds me of older Eurovision but in a good way. It's hard to see past all the attempts before this to write something that is politically motivated, however in this current form I like it a lot. I'll give it an :8:

MAD20

Song-wise I'd give the song :6: points, but for well-known reasons, it is a big fat :0:. For sure I won't be giving the video any additional relisten.

cegs5

It's this kind of power ballads that can be elevated by a good staging and correct vocals. The studio/video clip version may not be enough for a high score, but probably live is more impactful.
Clearly doesn't deserve zero points.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
As for Israel's entry, it's a decent ballad, I get the angle they're trying to picture, it's emoshen. It's clear they've tried to build something akin to 1944, but it falls a bit flat considering the situation and the recency of it all.

:6:

han-g

This is so exciting . so many people against a song because of the country. and unfortunately its an amazing singer and a nice song which is hard to ignore. why not.... some action .
Song is really mid, eden deserved better

Top Bottom