6 3.6%

6 3.6%

6 3.6%

53 31.5%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocket man

Listening to this song I realised there's not a lot of mainstream (Americanised) pop songs at Eurovision this year which is why I enjoyed this song a lot more than I usually would if it was from previous years at Eurovision, because there are just so many eccentric, wacky songs at Eurovision this year compared to before.

I really hope Eden can sing this song well live because it could potentially be a moment at Eurovision.

mauve

Veteran
This is just another generic power ballad we have heard a thousand times before. It is not the worst song this year, but simply neither sticks in my mind nor does it touch my heart. Nice try, :2: for the effort.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Heard it in full.

It's competent, I'll give it that. It follows the structure of a typical sappy "i am sad, feel for me" ballad which is my least favourite type of ballad. It also just... doesn't build into anything? It just abruptly ends without any climax.

Objectively this is a better song than Unicorn and I.M but not by much. I'm still giving a :0: in the poll however, if it ever goes up. Not for any "brainwashed" reason but because I hate the discourse.

I hate the discourse that you're a genocide-enabler if you love Eurovison because the EBU let Israel in. I didn't fucking ask for this.
I hate the discourse that you're an anti-semite if you want Israel out for the benefit of the contest.
I hate the toxicity this particular entry has brought over Eurovision by simply being allowed in and the division it has caused amongst fans.
I hate that by allowing this song in, the EBU is going to turn off many people (and worse, many talented ARTISTS) from Eurovision in the forseeable future.

All that for a song that isn't even that good.

I love the Eurovision 2024 roster, and this entry has completely neutered my excitement by being present. It has killed Eurovision 2024 for me.

:0: points.

Sammy

Veteran
The first half didn‘t impress me that much but as the song goes om I like it more and more. It builds well towards the climax (that one high note) and it‘s a good hook.

Also my instant association lyricwise was that she sings about the Hurricane she‘s exposed to during her ESC journey which made me sad tbh.

Synergise

If I were to try and take everything else away from this, I'd probably like this a lot. Yes, it's quite a basic ballad structure, but Eden has a nice voice and the song builds nicely. It might even scrape into my top 5 this year under different circumstances. But I can't really judge it properly or see beyond the obvious messaging.

If this does get to perform and nothing happens between now and May, this is a potential televote winner, but juries will bury it. In any case, it's going to be incredibly ugly in Malmo.

Cathan

I wonder what the highest score in the poll will be when its uploaded, could be anything really....

han-g

I wonder what the highest score in the poll will be when its uploaded, could be anything really....
It will be 12, that much I can tell you. Of more interest to me will be how many mid level ratings it will get. I'm expecting the poll to go hard on 12s and 0s

0scar

In all fairness I didn't want Israel in as well because it is heavily politicized even if the song (supposedly) isn't, and I don't really dig that the rhetorics are that your opinion on this song should be influenced by your stance in the Israel/Gaza conflict, or that Eden Golan is being bullied online, or in short: that it isn't about the song and the contest alone anymore,

BUT
I realized that wanting Israel to be out just because it would bring tranquility to the contest is a weak argument and isn't helping anyone.

Wanting Israel out because your opinion is that Israels participation is propaganda for a regime you do not support, even if the song is not about the conflict, is a valid opinion.
Wanting Israel in because your opinion is the contest is apolitical, and if KAN adheres to EBU rules they should be allowed to compete because the broadcaster =/= government, that's a valid opinion as well.

I'm weak and I still didn't made my mind up on Israels participation, but okay, they participate and I try to not treat this song any differently because I do not want the contest to be politicized, so my opinion now is that I should try to treat this entry just like any.

Few side notes,
I don't like people bullying Eden Golan online, she isn't at fault for anything and if you think she's being used for Israeli propaganda, try to educate her instead of bullying her
I'm aware that I'm delusional and this song will be penalized and/or awarded points for being Israeli regardless of the song, so I'm not helping anyone either with being a delusional moralist.

That ALL being said:
:6: points.

Gwendal

ChaChaLand (without Ryan Gosling :( emoji sadboi)
[out of politics, darlings]

I'm really... so-so. SO:
  • That's a real MID power-ballad that takes too much time to really begin and shine.
  • Good execution. That's a competent song that can go to the final on its merits alone.
  • But, clearly, it's supposed to scream nineteenth place.
  • (and the hebrew addition is really weak, like, hello, let's give this nearly-AI song some ethnic flavour)
  • That's a :6: now.
  • Can't say more, alas: "La haine équivaut à un reproche que l'on n'ose se faire à soi, à une intolérance à l'égard de notre idéal incarné dans autrui."
  • (Yep, that's my boy for twenty years now. Even if he died when I was a child.)

ESC Athens

I really like the song, it's a :10: from me. It goes straight into my top-5. I really like the 'Everyday I'm losing my mind' part. I don't know why, but the song sounds a little familiar to me.

lasse braun

i like this ballad a lot more than the boring stuff from france & serbia.
i also think that this song could be a grower - a very solid :7: from me.

i see also 37! (updated) zeros so far here and i think that these zeros are not mainly given for the music!

Last edited:

ZoboCamel

As mentioned when the leak came out yesterday... yeah, this is generic and dated, though it's my kind of generic and dated. I'm a sucker for this kind of overwrought power ballad, and I genuinely think the chorus has a great melody. Vocals are obviously strong too.

At the same time, the verses are very nothing, the production's flat in parts, and the lyrics, as others have mentioned, are a weak ChatGPT-ish pastiche of tired cliches and "how can we make this political enough to get support from pro-Israel people while just baaaarely being allowed in by the EBU".

Song-wise, that puts it at kind of a high :7: for me, and somewhere slightly above midtable in my rankings. Politically, and for practical reasons, I really don't want Israel at Eurovision this year, nor do I want them to do well; I understand why people are giving it a 0 for those reasons, but I personally always use these polls to rate the music and the music alone. I'm not going to lie and say I loathe the music. I don't. It's a 7. But it's a 7 that I won't be voting for in May.

Top Bottom