6 3.6%

6 3.6%

6 3.6%

53 31.5%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryUK

Veteran
EBU did not concede to Belarus’ refusal to change lyrics or the song in 2021 so they definitely won’t with Israel - I think the EBU headquarters would be burnt to the ground with flaming torches if they did tbh.

But this does mean that Israel gets the narrative of ‘withdrawing’ for reasons that do not relate to the war with Hamas or any accusations of genocide… which is probably the best outcome for them. Convenient.

empo21

Veteran
Why do I feel like this will drag for another week or so...

The article names October Rain, so I guess it really is the official title.

The main gag is that KAN has made it so EBU does have final say in their participation, which is kind of great lol EBU should've pulled the plug way earlier and they wouldn't be dealing with this. Now EBU has a difficult decision which may lead to other things like KAN leaving EBU like Russia did or Moroccan Oil pulling out. Martin, you made your bed, now lay in it.

aef

What I'm about to write is not about the people in :il:. It's not about people suffering on both sides and/ or just wanting to live their normal daily life in peace. But I really have to say that this hypocritc and somehow self-satistfed behaviour of :il: political leaders and now the public broadcaster is so annoying. I can't stand it anymore. You're not just a victim. It's better if you're withdrawing if you want to send a very much not-needed political song (as it seems) to Eurovision. For the sake of the contest. Thank you.

EBU could of course also draw a read line - just kidding.

I bims

Veteran
I would've respected their need for a political song if it was along the lines of "We Don't Wanna Put In".
I dunno like, "We hate you, pal, it's time".

(jk obviously, but I had that pun in my head for a while)

crashworld

Veteran
On the pretext and assumption that the potential entry is truly political, I am having mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, I don't think it's inappropriate to send in a song to express their anguish and pain over what happened to the country in October. What's happening right now in Gaza should not negate or diminish what Israel has experienced and invalidate the pain the nation felt last October. Bad timing, perhaps.

On the other, this is just giving the detractors all the ammunition needed to demand for their exclusion and only make it harder for Israel to continue in this year's participation. If this is the end goal the delegation is aiming for, I am greatly disappointed by the approach they have adopted. It would have been better if they have decided to withdraw on the get-go when the war started with the reason that the country is facing a crisis and ESC will have to take a back-burner as a result, as opposed to go through all this just to get "disqualified".

HarryUK

Veteran
This is the only war propaganda in eurovision I will ever approve of, I genuinely though KAN had more common sense than the bullshit they are trying to pull

I do think they’re trying to force the EBU to reject their song so they withdraw for that reason, rather than being eventually ousted due to security and political concerns as a lot of the fandom want.

Lance Esgard

Except Eden, who has been looking forward to this chance of a lifetime. :(
There's a world of difference between representing Israel at Eurovision this year versus last year. It isn't the same chance of a lifetime it is in other years. That was already taken away from all the potential Israeli representatives.

There's also a chance that what Eden says in public social media may not quite be what she believes in private, given that she can't exactly back out without that having its own deeply negative consequences for her. The situation has, after all, continued to develop since she was first selected. So, who knows, maybe Israel being disqualified really would be best for all parties.

ayzelto

I think, for the security of the artist, Israel should step out for a year until things have calmed down. The title of the song is still controversial, so we can all imagine how the final song will be. I believe every artist representing any country deserves to fully enjoy the experience. What's the point of going if it's not like this?

crashworld

Veteran
I do think they’re trying to force the EBU to reject their song so they withdraw for that reason, rather than being eventually ousted due to security and political concerns as a lot of the fandom want.

I believe the Israeli delegation has always been very pro-ESC and take their participation rather seriously. So to take the Belarus 2021 route is just utterly disappointing.

I wonder if they didn't expect that the events that unfolded in war would have become such a backlash against Israel and somehow they decided resorting to such option is the best way to withdraw from the competition. Or they really want to send a strong message to remind the world that the nation is still suffering (which is true and well within their right).

But having said that, we still don't know what the lyrics are despite the song title does hark back to the tragic event back in October. I'm really keen to know what the song sounds like and the lyrical content.

PolarFoxxie.

Ebu can't disqualify Israel because they didn't disqualy Ukraine 1944 who even won. Lyrics of that are very political, save azovstal kalush, Ukraine 2024 when aljona wore save azovstal on t shirt, they didn't disqualify gate, Finland 2024 etc...

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I believe the Israeli delegation has always been very pro-ESC and take their participation rather seriously. So to take the Belarus 2021 route is just utterly disappointing.

I wonder if they didn't expect that the events that unfolded in war would have become such a backlash against Israel and somehow they decided resorting to such option is the best way to withdraw from the competition. Or they really want to send a strong message to remind the world that the nation is still suffering (which is true and well within their right).

But having said that, we still don't know what the lyrics are despite the song title does hark back to the tragic event back in October. I'm really keen to know what the song sounds like and the lyrical content.

Yeah its massively disappointing that they're pulling a Belarus 2021 it seems. Their entry that year was appalling on many many levels and deserved its outcome. Although the EBU had to be dragged kicking and screaming to that position. It's speculation on my part but i guess there is internal pressures either within the broadcaster or outside of it to take this route. I've never been part of the ban Israel hate mob that dabble rather deeply into antisemitism, but i can't help but feel them pulling out is the best outcome. If anything Eden will have an absolutely horrendous time in Malmo, their security will be intense, she wont get to experience all aspects of Eurovision, probably be iced out by other participants who don't want backlash themselves and then get booed at every turn. She's brave for accepting to go at all. Its just that now people seem to be turning their hate towards Luxembourg and Tali.

HarryUK

Veteran

All I’ve seen online are Israeli eurofans trying to justify a political entry by saying Ukraine were allowed one in 2022. Difference is, Ukraine didn’t respond to Russia’s aggression by carpet bombing schools and hospitals

ag89

Comparing Ukraine case to Israel/Palestine is just another manipulation that has not gained huge support - and also, Ukraine has had a massive support already in 2016. Ukraine has never systematically attacked Russia nor committed systematic massacres against Russian civilians (in Russia) or Russian speakers in Ukraine. Israel has been doing all of it for months now against Palestinian civilians. The support Israel had in early October has almost completely disappeared due the ongoing activities of Israeli army (and their current radical government) in Gaza.

ag89

Ebu can't disqualify Israel because they didn't disqualy Ukraine 1944 who even won. Lyrics of that are very political, save azovstal kalush, Ukraine 2024 when aljona wore save azovstal on t shirt, they didn't disqualify gate, Finland 2024 etc...
You cannot apply such a superficial approach to very complex political issues. 2016 was 2016 : it's 2024 now and we live in a different world. Also, Israel does not have massive support at the moment, even within Eurovision fans community. Ukraine has always had a massive support. You cannot eliminate a country, or a song, that enjoys such a support (ie Ukraine 2022 for example). And Israel is not Ukraine.

crashworld

Veteran
Yeah its massively disappointing that they're pulling a Belarus 2021 it seems. Their entry that year was appalling on many many levels and deserved its outcome. Although the EBU had to be dragged kicking and screaming to that position. It's speculation on my part but i guess there is internal pressures either within the broadcaster or outside of it to take this route. I've never been part of the ban Israel hate mob that dabble rather deeply into antisemitism, but i can't help but feel them pulling out is the best outcome. If anything Eden will have an absolutely horrendous time in Malmo, their security will be intense, she wont get to experience all aspects of Eurovision, probably be iced out by other participants who don't want backlash themselves and then get booed at every turn. She's brave for accepting to go at all. Its just that now people seem to be turning their hate towards Luxembourg and Tali.

@ bold part: I also think that could be it. Because knowing the Israeli's track record in how they treat the contest with utmost respect, this just feel a little underhanded (assuming they did try to antagonize EBU by sending a political song). Like why give more ammunition to the detractors and further draw bad blood at this point in time when the public opinion of the country is at a all-time low. It would have been more respectable and dignified for them to just withdraw during the start of the war.

I also feel bad for Tali and Luxembourg's return is tainted with such unpleasantness. If this continues, I am not surprised if Luxembourg would not return next year.

Difference is, Ukraine didn’t respond to Russia’s aggression by carpet bombing schools and hospitals

That's debatable. But I shan't hijack this thread by explaining why I disagree with this statement and will be happy to disagree and leave it at that.

Top Bottom