Contact us

ISIS could attack the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest

Quent91

:fr:

http://people.bfmtv.com/musique/la-menace-terroriste-plane-sur-l-eurovision-en-suede-970667.html

« Une cellule jihadiste se trouverait en Suède, et planifierait une attaque terroriste dans la capitale. Les organisateurs de l'Eurovision, qui se tient cette année à Stockholm, travaillent avec la police pour renforcer la sécurité autour du concours, le 14 mai prochain. »

:uk:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itants-enter-Sweden-intent-terror-attack.html

« Could ISIS be targeting the Eurovision song contest? Organisers admit they are 'working closely with the police' after eight ISIS militants 'enter Sweden intent on terror attack' »

Schlagerman1

Could people just stop spreading fear! Yes, it can happen, it can happen everywhere and anytime, but it is rarely connected to big events as ESC or sport championships. Please don't destroy for us who is trying to have fun and live as normal, cause that is what we need to do, not hide in fear.

Salmon

This is terrifying. I hope that security measures are harsh, or else Eurovision might end tragically. To be honest, it was kind of expected though, since Eurovision (and particularly when being held in Sweden) is a shining manifestation of tolerance, unity, which goes directly against the jihadist ideology. Terrorism threats against this event have always been a question of when, not if. Didn’t the Iranian esctoday hackers of 2012 announce something similar?

Though in a way, I have to say I agree with Schlagerman: any hot-headed reaction is just intended by the terrorists, and we shouldn’t let our daily lives become paralysed.

And I predict this thread won’t even make it to ten posts without devolving into a nasty political off-topic slapfight about everything except Eurovision.

DiabloRoma

Could people just stop spreading fear! Yes, it can happen, it can happen everywhere and anytime, but it is rarely connected to big events as ESC or sport championships. Please don't destroy for us who is trying to have fun and live as normal, cause that is what we need to do, not hide in fear.

You forget that one of the aims of those who attacked Paris was the Stade de France in St. Denis. Not exactly a small venue. So yes - they can also hit bigger venues...

Schlagerman1

You forget that one of the aims of those who attacked Paris was the Stade de France in St. Denis. Not exactly a small venue. So yes - they can also hit bigger venues...

But it was during a friendly and not during a championship (and they failed there also, since the friendly already has a high security). What I mean is that it is much easier for them to take smaller venues than large ones.
But this isn't my point in the end, I think too many ESC-fans has been spreading this fear-propaganda that comes from the terrorist themselves to begin with, to force people not to live their normal lives and prevent them to go to Stockholm. Sure, post the link once, and that is it, but when several people post the same link to the same article, this is more propaganda than what the terrorists do. If you want to stay home because of fear or whatever reason, then do that, but let us, who wants to go and watch our favorite show in the world do that without your judgement. Also I don't see the point of having this thread, if people would like to discuss it, please head your way to the politics section of our forum or where the link already is discussed in "ESC 2016 - General News Thread" and "Sweden gives Eurovision a "refugee crisis" theme"!

CPV4931

Nevertheless I will feel safe in Stockholm. They already had quite havy safety measures in Vienna and after everything happening since then I think they will be even better in Stockholm.
People going to those events like soccer games, concerts and Eurovision with fear is exactly what terrorists want, so we shouldn´t do them this favour.

Quent91

I'm juste relaying the news tbh mate

JamieBrown

I'm juste relaying the news tbh mate

There are dozens of topics for that, but you started a whole new thread, so that we can exclusively discuss about that. That's far more than just "relaying the news"

nikolay_BG

Banned
Before this thread turns into a big mess, I just like to say that every human being is beautiful and deserves as much love and respect as possible.

If anything it might be good that this is a story in the news, because it means that the authorities are aware of planned attacks & are able to prevent them.

MyHeartIsYours

This is a given, I would be surprised if they didn't want to attack it. Europe and big European events were at risk of these bombings before they let in millions of unknown illegal immigrants from countries of terror, so obviously that old threat is still there just about 100 times bigger.

However, I like the Second World War ethos to these threats:
NQOxtJXW

Any of us could be blown up by one of these Islamists the second we get on a train or go in a bar, so unless you just stay in your house 24/7 you're at risk - there'd be no point in avoiding Eurovision if you love it specifically coz of this threat.

The way I deal with the threat is by avoiding at risk places that I'm not bothered about, supporting political causes that will crush the terrorists and stop the illegal immigrants, and most of all just crossing my fingers...

wyq614

Beijing, China (Hometown: Qingdao, China)
It's quite strange for the terrorists to declare their attack on a certain big event prior to carrying out it, it may be a good threat but in my opinion those European countries rarely attacked (like Spain) are those who really need very serious alert.

FilipFromSweden

I'm so torn. I want to go see semi-final 1 which I got tickets for.

+ It's Eurovision! I have never been to eurovision
+ It will be amazing
+ A memory of a lifetime
+ If I don't go I will sit by the TV and cry over how amazing it would've been to go

- My grandma keeps telling me some attack will happen but she worries a lot so
- Getting home is a pain in the ass
- I might have to sleep over at my ex house which will infuriate my parents

Salmon

- My grandma keeps telling me some attack will happen but she worries a lot so

Dude, if someone is going to carry out an attack (which I honestly doubt and see no reason for actually succeeding), then it would be surely on the evening of the final, which is when it would have the greatest effect. I’d say go if you already have the tickets.

Israeliboy

Yup, terrorist attacks can disturb your life from A to Z :( I think that as much as Sweden want to stop it, ISIS may surprise us as they already did in the past. I hope all will be ok

watersoup

And I predict this thread won’t even make it to ten posts without devolving into a nasty political off-topic slapfight about everything except Eurovision.

Almost correct. We actually made it to post #11.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Before this thread turns into a big mess, I just like to say that every human being is beautiful and deserves as much love and respect as possible.

Great statement. If only it were even remotely true.

VikingTiger

Right now I have a high fever and is feeling really ill. But I am not afraid of dying of this pneumonia. I will not be afraid taking my car to the airport on May 13th - even though car-crashes kills thousangs of people in Europe every year. I will not be afraid taking the plane to Stockholm - even though only yesterday 13 people died in a helicopter crash here in Norway, and plane crashes do happen from time to time even in Europe, and are always terrible accidents where almost everyone die for certain. I will not be afraid on the train from Arlanda to Stockholm center.
....and I will not be afraid of any terrorist attach in Globen or in the Arena. Nor am I agoing to speculate on the chances of any of these things actually happening.

sapsan

Bulgaria is a part of EU so there are possibly may be this danger too.
The most calm place for ESC would be ... Belarus. Anybody morally ready for Ivan's winning? xscared xcrazy xfaint

Top Bottom