Contact us

Is Christer Björkman trying to make "big show entries" hip again?

Fluke

In 2003, "big show" entries with massive choreography, set pieces and active use of props became common and highly celebrated in the ESC. Though minor trends came and went, they stayed popular and many of the winners until 2009 had fully crowded, elaborate stagings. But in 2010 the tide turned, both with the winner and the entries in general, and the only winner to feature a particularly elaborate staging is the overhyped Denmark in 2013, which perhaps not coincidentally was in Sweden (more on that later) and perhaps Sweden in 2015, which only featured Måns and some unusual interaction with rather simplecartoon projections. So there was a clear trend change, and in recent years elaborate "big show" entries with memorable songs have mostly barely reached the final, like Moldova's "I Want Your Love" in 2014, Iceland's "Hear Them Calling" and Bosnia's "Ljubav je" last year.

It's no secret Christer Björkman, who is not just in charge of the Swedish NF but one of the individuals with most influence on the ESC as a whole, and now also trying to maximise his influence over this year, is a big fan of the big show numbers. He often expressed dissapointment when such entries didn't make the final in both the ESC and the NF, and openly supported those entries even when he should have remained impartial (especially 2013 and 2016, when Sweden hosted).

After Eric Saade came 3rd in 2011, many expected Sweden to continue sending fast-dancing boys, which we never did - but Björkman & co sure did their best to fill each semi of the Swedish selection with such entries every year, but the people had the good taste not to choose them! Eventually it became obvious it just didn't work, but the Björkmafia countered in 2014 by adding a in-house dance team, dubbed the "Wall of Sex" that were extensively featured in every other entry and often stole attention from the actual singers and songs. They were often added needlessly to entries that didn't call for dancers at all, and including backing vocalists, the total number of people on stage often went way above the maximum 6 that would be allowed in the ESC. And - of course - the 2014 and 2015 NF winners did not feature any dancers.

So, the "Wall of Sex" kind of went away, and the last two years extensive choreography has been used more in (uncreative and unfunny) interval acts than actual entries, and the few exceptions have often flopped (like Dinah Nah this year). But this is not the development CB wants. It's obvious he's trying to force "big show" entries to become popular again, through whatever his next plan will be. What do you think he has in his sleeve?

EscGeek

Veteran
If Christer is such a big fan of "big shows" why was he standing still for 3 minutes in 1992? :lol:

anto475

If Christer is such a big fan of "big shows" why was he standing still for 3 minutes in 1992? :lol:

Personally I think if 1992 never happened we wouldn't be in this mess.

I don't know how he can cause more "big show" entries to happen, I guess through jury manipulation and controlling the running order he can give them preferential places. Then maybe voters in national finals would vote for them because they appear to do well at the ESC. Alternatively his self-promotion as "Mister Eurovision/Eurovision Expert" and placing himself on juries across NFs could influence the composition of the show.

midnightsun

Veteran
Maybe he's been trying to compensate to overcome his '92 mess! :D
I have always thought he is trying hard to "fix" his flop or to distract from it.

I agree we need some "big show" entries to make Eurovision exciting but trying to throw up the whole Eurovision show as one big show event is the wrong way imho.

tuorem

More importantly to me, one needs to have the right song: some songs demand striking/busy staging while others don't. You can't just ask for props and stuff regardless of the musical content. On the contrary, an impressive staging doesn't necessarily mean it should qualify and/or do well based on that sole factor.

I've always thought that staging should elevate a song, not try to make up for its flaws, so there is a limit to set as far as grandiloquent visuals are concerned. Björkman should realise that less is more sometimes.

I'm aware Sweden can't do without over-elaborate stagings these days, but that doesn't mean everyone should do the same, especially when it isn't quite as interesting in the musical department (I can mention the current Melfest lineup). Of course, everyone has their own reasons to vote for an act: personally, if the song doesn't do it for me, you could bring Cirque du Soleil on stage and I would still be unimpressed.

That doesn't mean I don't like some good staging when it's relevant to the song and that it isn't distracting/over the top.

A-lister

Veteran
I miss the "big shows" of mid 00's ESC, alot of people are shouting that there was "lack of quality", but see what we ended up with? Pretty much Balladvision Zzzz xshrug

I have nothing against good ballads, the problem is that ESC should also be about entertainment, and to sit through 25-some entries where "big vocals" (but lack of everything else) gets the highest points from juries is killing the fun. Some people say big shows are "tacky", but that's simply not true, some of the biggest names in Pop use "big shows" and all that time spent on preparing, choreography and what else should be praised rather than ridiculed because it really takes ALOT of work and effort to make a spectacular show, wheres just standing and singing takes very limited work and preparation to be frank. Sure we've seen plenty of joke entries and tacky shows in ESC, but cheesy Disney ballads are equally tacky so it's not limited to the "showers" xshrug But directly make the assumption that big shows are tacky is, and it's worth repeating again, simply wrong!

I hope ESC will be exciting again, EBU want us to "celebrate diversity", but we end up with less and less diversified ESC and actually more and more boring.

A good mix is the best option, and of course entries should be presented in the way that fits the song, obviously a semi-ballad with an ice-skater and what else can look tacky, but a big sexy booom song would look empty and out of place without half-naked hunky gladiators... get my point? There's a place for everything as long as it is done "right" and doesn't look out of place and especially fits the song/entry.

One thing I don't get is why they still only allow so few back-up dancers, this certainly hinders those who want a "big show", surely there should be a limit but now it just looks empty and unimpressive at times. Just as much as a nice ballad would look crazy with 10 people jumping randomly in the background... a big Pop song would look equally odd with lack of show... again big show or not comes down to the type of entry but big shows in itself is NOT a bad thing!

There's alot I don't agree with with Björkman, but to strive to make ESC more exciting again for viewers and not a funeral show or just a generic "wailers' talent show" is not something bad!

Fluke

Now that we know what the stagings will look like.... was i right or what?

No doubt Christer Björkman's influence is the reason so many entries have intense and complex stagings that outright distract from the song and the main performers. I guess some of the craziest backgrounds and lighting will be toned down for the final version, but the stagings themselves are busier than usual too. And the sudden trend of using giant images of the singer on the LED screen is probably his idea too (don't miss my other thread here: http://escunited.com/forum/threads/16271-Best-selfie ) since there were two entries in this year's Melodifestivalen that used it, and it's never really been used in Eurovision before.

So i guess he did succeed, perhaps not in making them popular, but at least making them happen - we'll see if the trend lasts and it will stay to the next year, though posssibly Björkman will be involved in some way then too! It would be a big irony if Portugal won for this exact reason, because they don't have so much going on onstage....

LoveHate

As an old-schooler I really liked it when everyone just had a big Viking ship in the background.

hqdefault.jpg

12Points

Now that we know what the stagings will look like.... was i right or what?

No doubt Christer Björkman's influence is the reason so many entries have intense and complex stagings that outright distract from the song and the main performers. I guess some of the craziest backgrounds and lighting will be toned down for the final version, but the stagings themselves are busier than usual too. And the sudden trend of using giant images of the singer on the LED screen is probably his idea too (don't miss my other thread here: http://escunited.com/forum/threads/16271-Best-selfie ) since there were two entries in this year's Melodifestivalen that used it, and it's never really been used in Eurovision before.

So i guess he did succeed, perhaps not in making them popular, but at least making them happen - we'll see if the trend lasts and it will stay to the next year, though posssibly Björkman will be involved in some way then too! It would be a big irony if Portugal won for this exact reason, because they don't have so much going on onstage....

Pls

:ru: 2009
Face.jpg

:it: 2014
Face2.jpg

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
Didnt Malta use singer face last year too?

DanielLuis

I hate those selfie stagings this year, it screams of "We don't know what to put on the LEDs so let's just put the singer's face there"

12Points

I hate those selfie stagings this year, it screams of "We don't know what to put on the LEDs so let's just put the singer's face there"
If it's nicely done like IMO Australia, Moldova (yeah it's full body, but you know what i mean), and Montenegro. It's good.

Haven't seen Croatia's on TV cam, but from the looks of it it's the creepiest one this year.

Didnt Malta use singer face last year too?

Yes, but it's only on the LED floor. Fluke mentions about LED screen so i gave him the screen examples

Ezio

Veteran
Those selfies wont be seen anytime soon after 2017, I suppose

ParadiseES

Björkmann is trying to make Eurovision his own farmhouse. That's so obvious that doesn't even to be explained.

Fluke

Yeah, also IVAN last year of course, but none of those were giant like all the ones now are. And the ones this year strike me as both curiously similar, and unmotivated by the song - Australia's is the worst, it just screams self indulgence and doesn't even go with the subject of the song at all. The only ones that are remotely motivated are Croatia's and Israel's, but still far from necessary. And none of them used it in their previous live performances, so it was obviously added now.

By the way, here's an interesting interview you may have missed. He doesn't really do many interviews, and no matter what you think about him it's worth hearing.

Franco

By the way, here's an interesting interview you may have missed. He doesn't really do many interviews, and no matter what you think about him it's worth hearing.

Yes, it's very interesting indeed. He says plainly clear things that could be guessed from his work so far, such as that he considers the ESC first and foremost as a tv show and only last as a contest. Thus, the fairness of the competition must be sacrified for the greater good of the show. If something is "bad tv", as he says, than it must not be allowed.
Perish the thought of him messing with the Olympics or something like that!

Fluke

Curious to hear how he feels about the winner! :)

Christer Björkman loves "Pop Hits". Radio smashers.
He don't care whether something is "good" or not.
What he cares about is whether something would be SUCCESSFUL - And if they are; It's a win.

Bert Karlsson is suffering from the same case of "Musical Dementia".

Top Bottom