24 13.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

njdevils94

Veteran
Sorry but in what world is this true, whatever you think of Johnny Rotten he is still by far even today the bigger name and its not even close
He's the bigger name but in recent years, Wild Youth are more known among the younger audience. The last album Public Image Limited put out was in 2015 some twenty years after their previous one.

HayashiM

Veteran
Welcome back :ie:, I enjoy this selection a lot! (y) Perhaps not quite the selection of the year, but it's night and day compared to the last edition.

xheart
1. Connolly - Midnight Summer night. Could be pure magic if staged well. I agree with @Yazy, the song is very reminiscent of Coldplay, more precisely, the background motive is literally taken from Clocks. Still, here's my :12:. And flowers xrose.
2. Public Image LTD - Hawaii. If you say the song is not for Eurovision, I agree, I can't see how it could work there. But it is a mood. Best consumed with a good book at a fireplace, possibly with tea and hookah. Sure, cozy rainy relaxed afternoons aren't a thing for everyone.

:)
3. K Muni & ND - Down in the Rain. I have a soft spot for the accent. And rap in general.
4.-5. Wild Youth - We Are One and Leila Jane - Wild. Radiofriendly feel good stuff. Nothing groundbreaking, but good enough to beat most of the stuff :no: brings to the table this year.

:(
6. Adgy - Too Good for Your Love. I respect the beat, and party value, but overall this song is so low on nutrition I am even more hungry than I was when I started eating it.

The radiofriendly songs and rap are good, but I don't see how you could stage them and be really memorable, especially with :ie:'s staging history. Adgy could perhaps charisma his way to the finals, wrs-style, but I'd rather not. Take a risk and send Connolly, easily the highest placement potential from this bunch in my opinion.

Last edited:

ESC94

I just listened to the songs and the snippet: Seriously :ie:?? Do you really think you can be successful with that?? xfacepalm

PIL: As background music in a hotel bar (on Hawaii or somewhere else) this would be good, but I simply can´t see this work on the big ESC stage, way too calm and uneventful, and the background story may be touching, but shouldn´t the song itself be rewarded??

Leila Jane: I´m simply tired of all these songs with "be strong" message, nothing interesting or surprising about this one.

CONNOLLY: Same like with Leila, otherwise these three minutes were veeeery long.

K Muni & ND: Suprise, another song with such a message. It´s sounds more modern but is still very uninteresting for me, the fact that I don´t like this kind of music at all doesn´t help either.

Wild Youth - The only "wild" thing here is their name, the song itself sounds like from a Coca Cola commercial from the early 2000s, very bland and forgettable.

Adgy: This is the "best" if you ask me and was actually the only song where I didn´t have to force myself to finish it. But shortly afterwards the song is already disappearing from my mind.

To be honest none of these songs is really promising and I´m sure :ie: has to wait another year for their 8th victory.

Last edited:

marty

This must be depressing for the irish fans. Again a very poor choice. I could not decide for one of these songs.

Yazy

So if I were in Ireland's shoes....unless there was something better in the offering that didn't somehow make the cut....I would simply select Connoly with "MSN", start with prep work and just ditch the rest of selection entirely.

Start immediately working on revamp to enhance the song's audio arrangement and do some tweaks on the melody. Add a little extra stuff.

Work on ESC staging, promotion and marketing etc. etc.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Ok Ireland Lets give the line up a listen x

I died and was reborn [10] 🙌 🥺 🔥 🥵
-

Oo ok, I really quite like these a lot [8-9] 🌟
ADGY - Too Good for Your Love 9

Average, kinda like them [6-7] 🙂
Wild Youth - We Are One 7
Leila Jane - Wild - 7
CONNOLLY - Midnight Summer Night 6
K Muni & ND - Down in the Rain 6

Eh [4-5] 😶
-

Not the tea [3-2] 😒
Public Image Limited - Hawaii 2

Pooja, What is this behaviour? [1] 🤢
-

I really don't get the hate some are showing in this thread tbh??? This line up is leaps and bounds far superior to their NF line up last year, and in fact for most of the years of the last decade. It's still a very average line up, with the majority not being super mind blowing but for the most part i'm not really offended. Obviously Hawaii only made the cut because of the name attached to it, but the rest aren't bad offerings. ADGY is (for me personally) the best song in the line up, really up my street. I think the Late Late Show studio will ruin it, but it's best one.

HarryUK

Veteran
I highly doubt that these songs were the best 6 that RTE received in submissions. It's a sort of improvement from last year's mess - the only 2 songs that I wouldn't skip (they're still meh) are Leila's & Public Image Limited.

K Muni & ND literally sounds like a copy + paste from the South London scene lol - the most un-Irish thing I've ever heard

shameless

I also don't get the complains of people especially fellow germans, who could dream of us having a selection with the quality of these. I don't see any embarassing or too-bland-choice. Sure, the banger is missing and most feel a bit dated (late 2000s vibe of Coldplay / We are young etc.) but these are all solid to even beautiful songs with their own charm that might attract specific groups if executed well. A big step up from the hopeless case of last year where Brooke was the only glimpse of hope.

EscGeek

Veteran
This must be the worst NF of the season.xfacepalm K Muni and ND & Leila Jane are good, but i'm not sure even if they can compete with other countries when they will select their best.

Bring back Brooke. I love her recent songs like "Tongues", "Heartbreaker" and " Enough" xlove

ESC94

I also don't get the complains of people especially fellow germans, who could dream of us having a selection with the quality of these. I don't see any embarassing or too-bland-choice. Sure, the banger is missing and most feel a bit dated (late 2000s vibe of Coldplay / We are young etc.) but these are all solid to even beautiful songs with their own charm that might attract specific groups if executed well. A big step up from the hopeless case of last year where Brooke was the only glimpse of hope.

Well, you know that "solid" doesn´t really translate into points??

shameless

Well, you know that "solid" doesn´t really translate into points??
As I wrote I can see some of the songs having their specific charm, yet I don't think solid is a reason to call this selection low (judging on the measurements of what Ireland offered the last decades).

Mainshow

Veteran
The Irish national final has improved a lot.
It doesn't mean that it's great, though, since Ireland gave us the worst preselection last year (together with North Macedonia and Germany).

Personally, I think that Wild Youth could bring Ireland back into the Grand Final (even though it's rather generic. It's very radio-friendly but its chorus is quite anthemic... I read something about the song being Coldplay-esque and I fully agree..it might not be on the same level but the song is much better than all radio-friendly songs submitted by Germany).

"Hawaii" sounds great, tbh. Not competitive at all and I don't really love the lead singer's voice but the arrangement/lyrics are top-notch. I can't see televoters voting for it but I wouldn't mind seeing it represent Ireland this year.

ADGY is crap and trashy. He should have stuck to his first version. It might have turned out as a decent ballad but this version is dead upon arrival.
Embers 2.0 if you ask me.

Midnight Summer Night is not my cup of tea at all. Slightly Lana Del Rey-like? I just don't like like synth-indie-pop sound. I guess I'm not power bottom enough for it but I can see its appeal and it might be another chance for Ireland to qualify (?).

Dunno, it's a decent selection of songs but I can only see a minor chance for Ireland to qualify (Midnight Summer Night or Wild Youth).

What I don't get: Why are broadcasters so eager to include entries to their national finals if they won't survive a Eurovision semi final 100%?

I know it's too early to say anything but it wouldn't surprise if we can already say goodbye to Ireland and Latvia in 2023.
Both national finals have only 1 to 2 entries which might be qualifying (based on the song alone).

mauve

Veteran
What I don't get: Why are broadcasters so eager to include entries to their national finals if they won't survive a Eurovision semi final 100%?
Exactly. No matter what song will be selected to represent Ireland, I doubt that it will make it to the GF unless the performance is top notch.

Mainshow

Veteran
Exactly. No matter what song will be selected to represent Ireland, I doubt that it will make it to the GF unless the performance is top notch.
I mean, a lot can happen until May (revamps, weak competition, perfect performances) and I´d never say "never" but each year, we have a few national finals in which we can witness a bunch of songs which are all dead upon arrival.

Last year, "That´s Rich" got potential but it was still not "strong" enough in a competitive year (whilst all the other Irish songs were either generic, bland or "too radio-friendly"). This time, it´s kinda similar but they´ve included a tiny glimpses of indie-pop, EDM-pop and a "pop-y" rap song.. it´s a step into the right direction but they are still not that "competitive".

Clearly, they are nice and solid to decent songs but I can totally understand why fans complain - ESPECIALLY FELLOW GERMAN FANS - since we have been tortured by our broadcaster and their generic/bland/radio-friendly pop songs which screamed "bottom 5" straight from the beginning.

This NF is not "that bad" (on the "Germany-radio-friendly-mess" level) but :ie: will clearly be heavily struggling once again... which is such a wasted opportunity.... Eurovision has become such a powerhouse for a few songs to blow up internationally (even if it´s been Tik-Tok-driven) + the UK are about to host... I think that´s the reason why we got a few "familiar" names in the Irish national final but still... I somehow expected more willingness to succeed from Ireland..especially this year.

Looren

Veteran

I think ADGY, Wild Youth and Connolly have potential to maybe make it with a great staging/performance

Top Bottom