Administrator
Iceland-scaled.jpg

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
NOOO IVA WHY DID YOU CHANGE IT xangry It sounds less mystical in English smh

also Nina's in English sounds like a Romanian song. Alexandra Stan who

tuorem

Imagine having so little consideration and faith in your own language you switch from it to English as soon as you're allowed to. :rolleyes:

Props to DIMMA for keeping it as is.

Halldor

It is now official that 4 songs will be sung in english and 1 in icelandic

Dimma will keep theirs in Icelandic while the rest will be singing in english

Mrm

Veteran
It is now official that 4 songs will be sung in english and 1 in icelandic

Dimma will keep theirs in Icelandic while the rest will be singing in english

I was a bit faster this time.. :p

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
My 4 favorites in the final, Hatari and Keiino as guests... :is: xheat

Still, I'm utterly disappointed in Iceland's obsession with switching to English. It isn't even justified, since 1999 they only sent 2 songs in Icelandic, both in the last decade, and managed to get into the final both times :rolleyes:
Your language is majestic, just keep it coming for f*ck's sake !

Schlagerman1

This fascination that ESC-fans HAS to have songs in the native language is getting ridiculous. Sure, I love hearing different languages, but if you see the songs that are in the final, well, at least three of them needs to be in english to work in ESC. The only ones that would have been okay in Icelandic is DIMMA and Iva, two songs that works on the mystery of their songs. I do like the icelandic version of Daði & Gagnamagnið, but there is no ordinairy ESC-watcher that will get their song if they were to sing in Icelandic, they HAVE to sing in english so that people understand that it isn't just a joke, it is actually a pretty normal pop song behind it.

opinionsigotem

Think About Things' Icelandic version was written in about 5 minutes for the sole purpose of satisfying Songvakeppnin's entry rules. It's probably the same case for the other three English songs in the final.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I honestly don't feel like Dadi should ever be considered to be sent to Eurovision. I don't need artists in Eurovision who support the idea of boycotting the whole event. I mean why is he still there trying to represent Iceland? He clearly doesn't have the Eurovision spirit and doesn't share the view that Eurovision is a way of uniting a war-torn and very diverse continent through a light entertainment programme.
Oh shut up. Boycotting ESC 2019 because it was being held in Israel is a valid take (and I won't elaborate on this further because political discussions? perish the thought) and doesn't apply to the current edition.

Schlagerman1

I honestly don't feel like Dadi should ever be considered to be sent to Eurovision. I don't need artists in Eurovision who support the idea of boycotting the whole event. I mean why is he still there trying to represent Iceland? He clearly doesn't have the Eurovision spirit and doesn't share the view that Eurovision is a way of uniting a war-torn and very diverse continent through a light entertainment programme.

I can agree with you that boycotting is the wrong thing to do, whatever you think about a country. I feel that it is better to be in place and do something in there than to stay at home and play the blame game.

However, it is a new year, a new host and a new Eurovision, and even if people make decisions that we don't agree on, they still can be good people and deserves a 2nd or sometimes even a third chance to make up for it. I am sure he has several reasons with why he think the way he does and we all have to accept our differences of opinion, that is also a part of the "Eurovision-spirit".

bazinga

Oh gosh! The reach!

Yes, Eurovision is a way to unite Europe for an evening through entertainment.
Yes, I have the right to adore, love, like, be indifferent to, dislike, hate entries. Everyone does. That's the concept of sharing views on a forum. Also, the way we perceive music is always subjective.
I heavily dislike the French entry but STILL i don't hate France or support the idea of neglecting France's right to participate next year (even though their Head of Delegation deserves to be punished for submitting that utterly horrendous entry).

What's the connection between the view that "all European countries should be allowed to participate in, win and host Eurovision" and me heavily disliking a particular entry?

Being a hypocrite is when you ask your home country to entirely boycott Eurovision by signing a petition in 2019 whilst trying to represent it in 2020.
''You disowning other people's rights to rank entries the way they wanna rank them is tiring and very questionable, imo''
.How? Did held you at gunpoint hahaha.As i said million times just say I dont like this and move on.Not keep reacting with heart eyes to every trashing comment and with angry face when soeone says they support the supposed song .:cool:

DaFlo

Banned
This fascination that ESC-fans HAS to have songs in English for Europe to "understand" them is getting ridiculous.

Your ordinary viewer will care about the music, not the language or the lyrics. ESC is way too fast paced for a normal person to understand multiple songs and their messages within 3 minutes. And that is if they even understand English in the first place because it is still a foreign language for most of the viewers. So unless you put your "message" out there with the staging or place powerful lyrics directly into the viewers brain, English is not gonna help you much.

Uto

Veteran
This fascination that ESC-fans HAS to have songs in English for Europe to "understand" them is getting ridiculous.

Your ordinary viewer will care about the music, not the language or the lyrics. ESC is way too fast paced for a normal person to understand multiple songs and their messages within 3 minutes. And that is if they even understand English in the first place because it is still a foreign language for most of the viewers. So unless you put your "message" out there with the staging or place powerful lyrics directly into the viewers brain, English is not gonna help you much.
I agree, but it depends on the language what the best course of action is. There are countries like The Netherlands where singing in the native language is definitely a problem though. There are a lot of sounds that just don’t exist in most other languages and most of them just aren’t pretty. Dutch is jarring for most foreigners. Icelandic doesn’t have this problem, it’s a nice and soft language.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

You took the words right out of my mouth. If lyrics were this important to understand and love a song then nobody would listen to instrumental acts. And many people are under the impression all Europeans understand English, but I bet that for the casual viewer from a country were English exposure isn't high (like, I dunno, France for exemple) Icelandic or English wouldn't make a difference as they wouldn't understand a word of it either way, especially when the singer has a bad pronounciation.

I'm not saying motherlanguage versions are always superior, for exemple Gagnamagnið works pretty well in English. And I know some languages are harder to work with, still more often than not it helps ourself to get immersed into the song (like Nina here).

Top Bottom