Contact us

How would your Vote look like, if you were a professional Jurymember? 2019 Edition

Realest

Similar Thread like last Year. Now that all Rehearsal-Clips of the 35 Semifinalist are out, we have an Impression what might await us. How would you vote, if you stay as objetive and competent as possible?

Here are my Thoughts:

Semi 1:

01:hu: Strong Live-Vocals and Stage-Presence. You can feel how much Heart and Soul is in it.
02 :ge: A Song that objective belongs to the Final. Its the Juries Task to save it, since Televoters wont have it in the Top10.
03 :is: Their Courage must be rewarded. Very out of the Box and makes the Competition more interesting.
04 :au: I have it a bit lower in my personal Ranking, but Vocal-wise and visually its flawless.
05 :pt: I dont like the Performance, but its original and deserves Recognition and represents its Country.
06 :sl: Theres Something Magical about it. The whole Package is impressive.
07 :by: I have it higher in my Ranking, but I think 7th should be enough. Very professional Performer of a Timeless 90s Britney-Style Song.
08 :cz: Nothings wrong here, everything is fine.
09 :rs: Only because of the Live-Vocals. The Song isnt in my Top10.
10 :pl: Not in my personal Top10, but the Song has Personality and the Song stands out because of the Genre.
11 :ee: A radiofriendly Song which would be higher with a better Singer.
12 :cy: Songwise in my Top10, but I must punish the bad Vocals and slutty Outfit.
13 :gr: I have it as #17 in my Ranking, but objective its not that Bad. But still it leaves me cold and she has no Charisma and an unnatural Pronounciation.
14 :sm: He has Charisma and Personality, but hes a bad Singer. Still the Song is good enough to avoid Bottom3.
15 :be: MoR, weak Live-Vocals, boring Performer. The Epitome of exchangable.
16 :fi: The Song isnt stirring and the Singer is weak. At least the Visuals are good.
17 :me: 4-5 Places higher in my Ranking, but objective the Worst here.

Semi2 :

01 :nl: This is a Winner-Package and the Song has huge Hit-Potential.
02 :ru: Very epic Song and professional Live-Performance.
03 :ch: Might become a huge Hit here.
04 :mt: Very Contemporary and great Visuals. The Song doesnt fit her 100% otherwise I would put it higher.
05 :al: Only Song in Native Tongue and vocally among the Best.
06 :az: Performancewise Azerbaijan is in Bestform, but the Song is just not good enough for Top5.
07 :se: Impressive Live-Skills, but the Song is only good.
08 :no: have it higher in my Ranking, but its no Jurysong, so #8 is just fine.
09 :mk: Its a Jury-Bait, so I have to vote for it.
10 :hr: Not as bad as people claim. Vocals are his biggest Advantages and the Song is BL+.
11 :lv: Nice, but harmless and not really competitive Song.
12 :am: Surprising good Livevocals, but she oversings it and the Structure is a bit chaotic.
13 :md: The Song is worse, but Ksenia improves the Whole-Package to avoit Bottom3.
14 :ro: I dont get what the Visuals have to do with the Song. Otherwise, its "just there".
15 :at: The Composition is weak and the Song sounds like an Albumfiller.
16 :ie: Really uncomfortable to look at. The Song is better than 16, but her Vocals are weak.
17 :dk: Everything is cringeworthy about it.
18 :lt: Lithuania isnt even trying.

John1

SF1

1 :gr:
2 :rs:
3 :sl:
4 :au:
5 :is:
6 :cy:
7 :cz:
8 :hu:
9 :by:
10 :pl:
11 :ee:
12 :ge:
13 :pt:
14 :ge:
15 :be:
16 :fi:
17 :me:

SF2

1 :ru:
2 :nl:
3 :at:
4 :se:
5 :mt:
6 :al:
7 :mk:
8 :ie:
9 :no:
10 :ro:
11 :lv:
12 :ch:
13 :dk:
14 :lt:
15 :az:
16 :md:
17 :am:
18 :me:

Citelis

Trying to be objective

SF1
1. :au: The staging is amazing and her vocals are amazing too. She desevres to be 1st.I have her 1st in my semi-final ranking too. However this song is not for everyone.
2. :rs: Great vocals and a simple staging. Lower in my ranking but she has to be in the final.
3. :hu: Lower on my ranking but he is really good and he deserves to be in the final. But still this entry is weaker than his previous.
4. :gr: Well Katerina has great vocals and but the staging may be too much for some people. In my ranking she is 2nd in this semifinal.
5. :sl: A different entry that deserves recognition. However it looks a bit boring.
6. :ge: Personally i strongly hate this entry and i have him last in my ranking. However the staging looks good and his vocals are great so if i want to be objective then Georgia needs to qualify. Cannot place it higher since the song itself is not for everyone.
7. :pl: Folk should be more appreciated by juries. I have it higher in my ranking but i know that there are some stronger entries in the semifinal..
8. :pt: A unique and different entry with a quastionable staging. Looks weird for many people but its art for many other. Its very polarized since the beggining. I have it higher in my ranking.
9. :is: Not everyone's thing and not the best staging. Their style is fake but still the song is really good and deserves to qualify.
10. :cy: A song that could do very well but the staging does not look good and the vocals sound bad. Still has to go to final just for the song.
11. :cz: The song is just ok and the staging is ok too. However there are better attempts this year so this should not qualify. In my ranking is even lower.
12 :by: The song is bad and the staging looks a mess so i think this does not deserve to qualify.
13. :fi: High on my ranking but i know that this is bad. He is also a weak singer.
14. :be: Terrible staging and and the song itself is weak but not exactly bad. In my ranking it is close to the last place.
15. :sm: Serhat is very bad singer and the song may be nice for some people but for the majority its just a joke entry. The staging is ok but cannot help a song like that.
16. :me: Cheesy and dated song with bad staging.
17. :ee: Very bad singer and very boring staging. The song is not that bad but everything else is.

Citelis

SF2
1. :se: A perfect entry that deserves to win the whole thing. 2nd in my personal ranking.
2. :at: A beatiful song with an amazing staging that need to be appreciated. Lower in my ranking.
3. :nl: A very strong song with a weak staging. Lower in my ranking.
4. :mt: The best of Sasha this year. Lower in my ranking.
5. :lv: A beautiful and simple song that desevres much more than the last place.
6. :ch: A great song that can be a hit but the staging is not good. Higher in my ranking.
7. :no: A masterpiece but its not for everyone and the staging is not the best possible. Higher in my ranking.
8. :az: Too overrated by everyone but still good enough to qualify. Lower in my ranking.
9. :ro: A good song and a nice staging that gets undeserved hate. Higher in my ranking.
10. :ie: My No1 favorite of the whole 2019 but her vocals are weak to place it higher. However it has a great retro feeling.
11. :mk: Great vocals and good staging but ger dress is ugly. Also thats an entry that have been sent just to qualify. Not sure if she deserves to qualify.
12. :am: Staging is not helping a song that is just ok. Not sure if she deserves to qualify just for her vocals.
13. :dk: Personally i love (top 10 for me) but it looks a bit stupid there. So i guess its NQ.
14. :ru: Trying too much to deserve to go higher.
15. :md: I have no problem with the copied staging but the song itself is horrible.
16. :al: An entry that tries to qualify just because of her vocals so its a no from me.
17. :lt: Nothing good here.
18. :hr: Just for the wings deserves the last place.

Kaz

Semi 1:
01 :sl: A modern, unique song with magical staging.
02 :rs: Song is a bit more basic, but the staging is fantastic and Nevena's vocals are outstanding.
03 :pt: Unique and unlike anything else in the competition. Modern, breaking boundaries. Fantastic.
04 :gr: A great, anthemic pop song with a unique voice, but the staging is a bit too chaotic and visionless for it to be higher.
05 :is: It definitely stands out, and like Portugal, it breaks typical Eurovision boundaries while still being a good song.
06 :by: Surprisingly, this is a good song on its own but Zena's voice really lifts this up.
07 :cy: A good song but nothing special.
08 :hu: I don't particularly enjoy this song - it doesn't grab me at any point - but I cannot deny the meaning nor that Joci sells it incredibly well.
09 :ge: Another big surprise, it's a slow build but the ending is powerful.
10 :sm: It's just fun. Disco without being incredibly outdated.
11 :ee: Basic.
12 :cz: Basic, slightly annoying, bad lyrics.
13 :be: Basic, bad staging, lacks any significant impact.
14 :pl: Appreciate the national flavour but it's annoying.
15 :fi: Basic and outdated, with a really questionable outfit.
16 :me: No comment.

Semi 2:
01 :az: Brilliant staging, outstanding vocals, combines traditional elements with a modern and catchy song. Nothing to dislike.
02 :al: Shines thanks to stellar vocals, and the stage is not as bad as others have made it out to be. The song stands out enough on its own.
03 :se: Ah, classic Swedish production. And John is just so likable.
04 :at: The performance really heightens the emotions. This song is so genuine and heartfelt, I can really connect with her on stage.
05 :nl: It's a great song, and Duncan is a great performer.
06 :mk: Macedonia have finally got their stage show together this year, and the song deserves to go through.
07 :ru: It's a respectable performance but it just screams "trying too hard". Could improve if Sergey manages to hit the high note.
08 :am: Vocals surprisingly good live, but the whole package comes across as a bit too aggressive and turns me off.
09 :no: Catchy and fun, staging is a bit weird but I still like it.
10 :ch: See above.
11 :mt: I wish this could be higher, but her voice is just okay and the rehearsal clip didn't really do anything innovative or interesting.
12 :ie: It's cute, and her voice is nice. A bit low-budget, but it's decent enough.
13 :dk: Getting annoying.
14 :ro: I don't like how she wails her notes so much, and the song itself doesn't do anything too much for me. I don't dislike it however.
15 :md: This improved live, but it's not worth noting.
16 :hr: Good voice wasted on a dated song and cliched stage.
17 :lv: Boring. Cute, but dreadfully boring and uninteresting.
18 :lt: Annoying song, empty stage, and really just filler.

JamieBrown

My list is not objective, so isn't yours. We all decide what's objective on our own and have our own criterias of what we want to see on stage and what freaks us out, there's alot of room of discussions.

Anyway, here is my list, because it's fun to share and we can compare them with each other and the official juries afterwards
(based on my general opinion about the song, the vocals, if a song is contemporary, the overall predictions and the staging)

SF 1

01. :sl:
02. :gr:
03. :cz:
04. :hu:
05. :is:
06. :au:
07. :rs:
08. :cy:
09. :pt:
10. :be:
11. :ee:
12. :ge:
13. :pl:
14. :me:
15. :fi:
16. :sm:
17. :by:

SF2
01. :nl:
02. :se:
03. :ru:
04. :az:
05. :at:
06. :ch:
07. :mt:
08. :dk:
09. :am:
10. :al:
11. :lv:
12. :no:
13. :lt:
14. :ro:
15. :mk:
16. :ie:
17. :hr:
18. :md:

Zonne147

50% objectivity/50% subjectivity:

:12: :au: (both, objectively it would win the semi but subjectively it would be 3rd or 4th)
:10: :gr: (more objective, I don't like this very much but it's a great song)
:8: :cy: (maybe it's more subjective... l would give her a penalty because of her voice, still my personal winner of the semi)
:7: :is: (both, I think it's a good song that stands out and may be terrible for many people but it makes sense)
:6: :ge: (The song was ok and a few days ago it wouldn't get any points from me, but the staging and his voice are outstanding and now I like the song)
:5: :cz: (I think this is a good song, but I think it's not really original. Personally this is my 5th of the semi)
:4: :ee: (Personally it is on my 2nd place, but we need to be objective and admit that vocally and on staging there is missing something)
:3: :hu: (Personally it is much higher for me, but as a jury I wouldn't consider it appealing enough to put it in the Top 3)
:2: :pt: (Well, it deserves to be valued because of its originality, but the song itself could be richer in terms of sounds)
:1: :rs: (It's an ok song for me, but the staging and her voice are great so it deserves points)
11th :be: (It's a good pop song but it's difficult to get into it)
12nd :sl: (Personally it's on my top 10 but I don't think I would put it on points as a jury, maybe too simple)
13rd :fi: (Well, that's not as bad as some people say, I have considered to give it points but there is better in the semi)
14th :sm: (It's a bit higher in personal top but its dated and as a jury I wouldn't give any points)
15th :pl: (Personally it's my 41st place of the whole competition but it's original, it makes sense... But you wouldn't expect me to give points to a song I don't like)
16th :by: (Well, her voice is good and the staging is not bad too, but the song is bad and there is not anything to value on it)
17th :me: (No comments, the place says it all)

midnightsun

Veteran
This would be my personal criteria if I was a juror: voice, song composition, overall performance/staging, extra necessary but limited gimmicks that highlight the song (not fond of an overload of stage props but also not of boring b/w stagings)

The bold ones are the ones that aren't in my personal top 10 as a forum user or which I don't like but objectively must be in a top 10.

Semi 1:

1. Australia
2. Hungary
3. Georgia
4. Greece
5. Serbia
6. Slovenia
7. Cyprus
8. Iceland
9. Portugal
10. Poland
14. Czech Republic
15. Montenegro
16. Belarus
17. Estonia

Semi 2:

1. Norway
2. Russia
3. The Netherlands
4. North Macedonia
5. Sweden
6. Romania
7. Azerbaijan
8. Switzerland
9. Lithuania
10. Austria

11. Croatia
12. Albania
13. Armenia
14. Latvia
15. Denmark
16. Malta
17. Moldova
18. Ireland

darkap

Trying to be neutral and objective

SF 1

1. Greece
2. Australia (and I hate this!)
3. Serbia
4. Hungary
5. Iceland
6. Poland
7. Slovenia
8. Cyprus
9. Portugal
10. Georgia
11. Belgium
12. Estonia
13. Belarus
14. San Marino
15. Czech Republic
16. Finland
17. Montenegro

SF2

1. Malta
2. Sweden
3. Netherlands
4. Russia
5. Switzerland
6. Lithuania
7. Azerbaijan
8. Albania
9. Austria
10. North Macedonia
11. Denmark
12. Norway
13. Latvia
14. Armenia
15. Romania
16. Croatia
17. Ireland
18. Moldova

aef

So based on composition, staging and vocal range (but also some personal taste like with every juror) - Comments are not objective though :lol:

SF1:
1.:cy: It's very hard to decide on the #1 here. Cyprus has a good package concerning staging and song I guess.
2. :is: It's probably not a song I'd listen to outside Eurovision but it works really well inside the bubble! Great staging! Also interesting vocals...
3. :gr: Personally I don't like the song at all but it's a decent jury choice, good vocals, interesting staging.
4. :cz: Albert's stage presence is great and the song is really catchy!
5. :ee: A really nice pop song, decent staging, decent vocals now...
6. :sl: I'm still not too keen on this one but I appreciate and respect its quality.
7.:pt: This would be higher with different costumes haha. Somehow I really don't like the staging anymore...
8. :hu: It probably would be way lower in my personal ranking but the staging looks fine and he sings very passionate.
9. :rs: This would sneak into my top 10 though we definitely had way better balkan ballads before.
10. :au: I'm not a fan of this at all and it also wouldn't end very high in my jury ranking. It sounds very cheap and I don't like having the same pop opera concept again in some aspects.
11. :pl: Nice traditional ethnic song mixed with interesting genre.
12. :sm: He would get some credits for the entertaining song and staging.
13. :be: Weak song, weak staging.
14. :fi: Very weak song unfortunately.
15. :by: Weak popstar wannabe.
16. :ge: Not my cup of tea at all.
17. :me: I really can't stand this song at all, it's way to old-fashioned.

SF2:

1. :nl: This song still is still giving me goosebumps every time I'm listening to it. What else would you want? Also great staging, awesome vocals!
2. :az: I would probably have to wait for the whole staging here but for now the staging seems to be really out of the box and I also love the song.!
3. :se: A little surprise here. I'm not a fan of the song at all but the staging really works wonders for me...
4. :mk: This is also a big surprise to me. The song is nowhere near my top 30 but the staging and her voice are stunning!
5. :at: I'd give quite a high score to Austria due to Paenda's excellent voice and the stunning staging!
6. :ch: Catchy song but limited vocal abilities and the staging is rather to messy (or let's say the camera angles)
7. :ru: Maybe Russia would be somewhere here, maybe even lower. I really can't stand Sergey's voice and his style of singing. The song is very boring and I'm not a fan of those "over the top because I'm having a weak song" stagings...
8. :mt: Catchy song, decent staging.
9. :no: Catchy, ethnic, decent vocals.
10. :am: I actually start liking the song now but I don't know about the staging though
11. :al: Ok-ish song, ethnic, decent vocals.
12. :dk: Nice staging, sweet song.
13. :ie: Nice staging but rather boring song.
14. :ro: I'm not a fan of the song at all.
15. :lt: Very bland.
16. :lv: No impact here. One big snooze fest.
17. :md: For the obvious reasons.
18. :hr: For the obvious reasons.

JamieBrown

My list is not objective, so isn't yours. We all decide what's objective on our own and have our own criterias of what we want to see on stage and what freaks us out, there's alot of room of discussions.

Anyway, here is my list, because it's fun to share and we can compare them with each other and the official juries afterwards
(based on my general opinion about the song, the vocals, if a song is contemporary, the overall predictions and the staging)

Seeing the whole performances let me do some changes in the semifinal rankings

SF1
01. :cz: +2
02. :sl: -1
03. :hu: +1
04. :gr: -2
05. :is:
06. :au:
07. :pt: +2
08. :ge: +4
09. :rs: -2
10. :cy: -2