Contact us

How many countries will compete in 2024?

esc87fan

:rs::az: both confirmed today

shannondolan.1996

:lu: is obviously returning.
:mk: is almost surely returning too. :tr: will 100% return if the opposition is elected today, it will be quite a statement for the government to make to immediately return to an event like Eurovision.
:mc: will return if the new broadcaster has enough time to set up for Eurovision 2024. They're only launching in September or something, so I don't know if this is possible. But if it isn't, they'll surely return in 2025, because apparently a big part of the reason why they're even setting up a new broadcaster is to return to the contest.
I could also see :me: return, there was a rumour that they're planning on taking part every 2 years.

:ro: is almost certainly withdrawing, they clearly didn't give a single ounce of a F this year. :ge: might get very discouraged by the fact they weren't even close to qualifying. Could also see :sm: withdrawing if the 100% televoting in the semis is kept, to be honest. The only other ones I could see in trouble would be :cz: and :lv:, the latter stating something like a "one-year break to rethink their strategies". I think the top 10 is enough for Czechia to stay, and I think that being only 3 points away from qualifying is enough for Latvia to keep on trying too.

So this would give anything from 35 countries taking part at worst, to 42 at best. It really will be one of the more unpredictable contests to speculate about the number of participants in a long while, I think.
:mc: I bet Monaco still have 15 days to think about returning to the 2024 contest, the EBU would think about that as well!

Mainshow

Veteran
The EBU released the list of participating countries on these dates:

23rd December --> 2015
26th November --> 2016
31st October --> 2017
7th November --> 2018
7th November --> 2019
13th November --> 2020
26th October --> 2021
20th October --> 2022
22nd October --> 2023

I think that we still have to wait for two months to get the official list of participating countries... I know that countries have to "apply/preliminary confirm" until mid-September but countries may still pull out without facing fines and the EBU still might be in talks with other people to convince them or make them return.

Monaco might be highly unlikely but who knows... maybe the EBU will discuss a Eurovision comeback even after mid-September.

Mainshow

Veteran
26th October --> 2021
20th October --> 2022
22nd October --> 2023

In the last three years, we learnt about the number of participants around this time of the year! - Even around this week (if the EBU follow the same procedures this season) but - without getting too much into politics - I can totally see the EBU deciding to push the date further.. to another date or even month.

The situations in Armenia and Israel right now may lead to further negotiatios or discussions with the EBU (I don't think it's necessary to point out that "they have more important things to deal with" but I will just write it anway before someone believes that I place Eurovision above peace, freedom, humanity)... also, the financial situations in Romania and North Macedonia still might be an issue and I don't believe that the EBU wants to end up having 35 countries in total......... didn't even SBS (Australia) announce that there hadn't been made a decision on Australia's participation yet (last month?).

Thus, I think that we have to wait a bit longer before getting an "official list" this time.

macmillanandwife

Considering the current situations with :ro:, :am:, and :il:, I'm leaning towards around 36. There's a good chance :au: will participate this year, because if :il: pulls out and :au: doesn't participate, it will be the lowest number of countries since 2004. I have a friend in :bg: and he told me BNT is leaning towards non-participation.

gigi_copp3

Why should :il: withdraw? They are one of the biggest forces in ESC, and :ua: is still there after all

Loindici

Veteran
Why should :il: withdraw? They are one of the biggest forces in ESC, and :ua: is still there after all
The current climate of the war is simply not great for them and the reputation of EBU. I don't know how to explain more of this.

Mainshow

Veteran
:mk: is not 100% in yet - apparently, they still discuss whether they should be participating or not.

I guess my "feeling"/guess was alright - we won't be getting a list of participants as soon as in recent years because the EBU still has to discuss it with/convince other broadcasters/countries...

Mainshow

Veteran
The biggest German fanpage ESCKompakt also reports that "41 countries might participate next year".

We've heard about this rumour earlier this week but the page provides "more reliable" sources, e.g. the French Head of Delegation Alexandra Redde-Amiel and an Albanian article about FiK also writes about Albania being one of 41 countries taking part in Malmö next year...

The account "Eurovision_2023" wrote about the "returning countries" being from the Balkan region and "outside Europe".

Balkan: :mk: :bg: :me: ?
outside Europe: :au: and/or :ma: ?

Looren

Veteran
outside Europe: :ma: ?

You can't imagine how much I want that but sadly it's not gonna happen, I'm not even sure our broadcasters know about Eurovision anymore :rolleyes:

I think we might have come-backs from North Macedonia and Bulgaria, the rest idk

rasmuslights

Veteran
The biggest German fanpage ESCKompakt also reports that "41 countries might participate next year".

We've heard about this rumour earlier this week but the page provides "more reliable" sources, e.g. the French Head of Delegation Alexandra Redde-Amiel and an Albanian article about FiK also writes about Albania being one of 41 countries taking part in Malmö next year...

The account "Eurovision_2023" wrote about the "returning countries" being from the Balkan region and "outside Europe".

Balkan: :mk: :bg: :me: ?
outside Europe: :au: and/or :ma: ?

I guess Macedonia is back. And then Bulgaria. I guess Slovakia could've changed its mind and participate this year already, same with Monaco but less likely. Maybe EBU extended the deadline for either of them.

I don't think Montenegro is coming back.

Outside of Europe? This doesn't leave many options. I doubt Morocco could return, their mentality just doesn't align with the values of esc. I guess Kazakhstan could debut since they are distancing themselves from Russia lately. Don't see any Arab nation participating in the future - Israel, LGBT, and women wearing skimpy clothing just isn't for them right now. Maybe Lebanon and Tunisia are the most secular but Lebanon has a lot of economic problems right now, so maybe Tunisia. I just don't think New Zealand is interested.

ESC94

I guess Macedonia is back. And then Bulgaria. I guess Slovakia could've changed its mind and participate this year already, same with Monaco but less likely. Maybe EBU extended the deadline for either of them.

I don't think Montenegro is coming back.

Outside of Europe? This doesn't leave many options. I doubt Morocco could return, their mentality just doesn't align with the values of esc. I guess Kazakhstan could debut since they are distancing themselves from Russia lately. Don't see any Arab nation participating in the future - Israel, LGBT, and women wearing skimpy clothing just isn't for them right now. Maybe Lebanon and Tunisia are the most secular but Lebanon has a lot of economic problems right now, so maybe Tunisia. I just don't think New Zealand is interested.

They wanted to participate in 2005 and had already chosen an act but then withdraw because they didn´t wanna broadcast the Israeli performance.

Top Bottom