4 2.8%

10 7.0%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

han-g

Should I be happy for the general reaction ? Yes I should. But I am not, because I want to like it but I can't 😭, it's so confusing for my ears, I can't remember anything when it ends, it's like i listen to many different songs. Along with 2022 (Die together), and 2018 (Oniro mou), these are the 3 worst greek entries in the last 20 years.
Oh well these 3 are definitely my favourite greek entries since I started watching.

hpp0

On first listen, I could barely remember the song, I definitely found it too messy and together with the video, I could barely focus on what was going on. Now that I listened to it again, it sounds more coherent and I can say that I somewhat enjoy it, though it's not something I will listen to on repeat.

I think a :7: is fair. Could have been a :6: but I appreciate the effort and that they took a risk.

Sabrewulf238

I can see this fail in the semis - it is simply not memorable enough. It will probably come down to the performance though. But just a little dancing choreo might not do it.

I'm going to guess that Marina will pull it off live and elevate it. So I think Greece will likely qualify.

I do feel like it's the kind of song that could really flop live in the wrong hands though.

gigi_copp3

Wouldn't be surprised if this is gonna be the Eaea of 2024 - really popular in the fandom but not generally liked by the public
Eaea had a difficult rhythm to follow, it was not catchy at all. It was a mix of perfect things (perfect voice, perfect staging) but the song was so hard to listen.
Zari is catchy enough to get a decent result

0scar

Eaea had a difficult rhythm to follow, it was not catchy at all. It was a mix of perfect things (perfect voice, perfect staging) but the song was so hard to listen.

Well I beg to differ - I listened to this right before I went to sleep and when I woke up this morning I tried to remember anything about the song and I could remember.. well, nothing. Only that it was a bunch of noise cramped into one song.
I honestly cannot identify a proper melody, while it was way easier with Eaea.

Tried it again this morning but nope Greece, this isn't for me. I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to this one and was prepared for Greece to be a contender for the win but this is nowhere near winning.

FilipFromSweden

This song is such winner behaviour :12:

han-g

Is it? I like it, but I've seen enough people find it to messy and not to their tastes and difficult to listen to for me to get an eaea vibe from this.

Judas

FSC Mod
Staff member
I am not particularly fond of the song but I like the humorous elements in the music video. If it reflects well on the stage it will be one of the more entertaining entries which can easily go to the final.

empo21

Veteran
At least Zari has a guaranteed 12 from cyprus televote and won't go single digit like Eaea (I still hurt) xcry

Lance Esgard

The video gives me the impression there is an important point being made, perhaps about tourism or the flattened perception of a country held by those outside of it, or perhaps just online video culture, but I don't yet know what it is about.

Musicially, this is very much an acquired taste at least in terms of Eurovision musical norms. I think the Eaea comparison is apt in that this both Blanca Paloma and Marina Zari, with their entries, seem to me to be more about presenting an authentic slice of musical culture to a more global audience than pursuing a more commercial, homogenous sound.

This approach comes at the cost of accessibility, but arguably it delivers something more important.

Personally I don't like this as much as Eaea, but I think Zari is a song that I needed to hear. With Eaea, despite the elements that were new to me, I was able to immediately understand and like it because I was able to connect with the emotional delivery of the vocals and the atmospheric backing. For Zari, right now I almost totally don't get it. Reggaeton is something I 've never been exposed to before and so although I don't like this at all (at least so far), it intrigues me.

As I have replayed it, I am starting to get into it more. It is giving me a musical education and so even though this may not end up being something I actually enjoy, I do appreciate that it has exposed me to something different in terms of musical cultures.

Beyond that though, I don't think the audio mixing does Zari any favours. I think it sounds noisier as a result of how sound of the instrumentation booms above her voice. Maybe that is normal for reggaeton, I don't know, but maybe that is part of what is influencing the reception to this song that I have come across thus far.

Top Bottom