(We used to be the rockstars)
(We used to be the rockstars)

Remembering gets so hard
When time is moving so fast
Wish there was a way to know that we're in
The good old days before we all just leave 'em​

Last edited by a moderator:

Datura

Bottom five in Torino for sure excepted, maybe, for Malik Harris - with a revamp
i actually agree the song could benefit from a revamp, more structure and climax could make it more emotional. i doubt they will do that though.
still, i think it would be a great entry and with the right staging this could get a good result, i hope germany picks this

CPV4931

Can we donate I’m Loving Me to you guys?!👀😅
Would be my favorite in the whole NF xD Actually very disappointed about NDR´s choice.... only Rockstar may save us from Bottom 2

CPV4931

I hope people continue raising hell on them. Promising us a diverse selection of artists when all of them fall into the same radio friendly pop category is like a punch to the face. It doesn't have to be EC, but at least give us some kind of variation. Previous national finals at least got that one somewhat right.
And it honestly saddens me the most that Planschemalöör didn't make the cut :(

*sign* (Although it´s more EC than Planschemalöör for me), it could have been Schlager, EDM, whatever, just some diversity which we don´t have now

marty

I guess we will see Nico Suave and Team Liebe in Turin. I think Germans will vote for that song. All six songs are quite ok but somehow not worth to talk about them.

ag89

This all sounds ok, but it's like a typical US music (but Hallo Welt)?

- Soap: excellent for American Song Contest; but this is not bad, but will have no impact if reaches ESC
- Eros: I like!
- Rockstars: it's ok
- Hallo Welt: well, I think this has more chance to get some attention than any other song here, simply because it's in German

I don't know... This is all ok, but that is far from enough.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Inuit Sex Worker or whatever their name is would have been a PR disaster (starting with their name and definitely not ending at that song of theirs that has really dodgy lyrics about gay people), so I can understand why NDR chose to avoid a potential Xavier Naidoo.

And yet, "Pump it" is way better than ANYTHING they did choose, so welp they made the WRONG decision. AGAIN!!!! Maël & Jonas are my favourite, by fucking default because I can remember their song. The rest all sound like your average Danish nf (ironically this is what I WISH Denmark had) unmemorable, bland, often downright annoying. All equally hopeless

Germany, 12 Points Exactly, more like.

Sammy

Veteran
Inuit Sex Worker or whatever their name is would have been a PR disaster (starting with their name and definitely not ending at that song of theirs that has really dodgy lyrics about gay people), so I can understand why NDR chose to avoid a potential Xavier Naidoo.

And yet, "Pump it" is way better than ANYTHING they did choose, so welp they made the WRONG decision. AGAIN!!!! Maël & Jonas are my favourite, by fucking default because I can remember their song. The rest all sound like your average Danish nf (ironically this is what I WISH Denmark had) unmemorable, bland, often downright annoying. All equally hopeless

Germany, 12 Points Exactly, more like.
Not everything that is lame is a comparison.... You have to go a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go from Eskimo Callboy to Mr.Conspiracy Theory aka QAnon-disciple X.N.
And if that really would have been a consideration (which clearly it wasn't), then why would they have encouraged them so cringeworthy to reapply next year?

Mrm

Veteran
I finally mannaged to listen to all hopefuls and I really do not understand such a negatve respond, I rank based on studio versions:

1. Malik Harris - "Rockstars" 10/10 I xheart this entry, I really hope he will be good live, if he is and he wins, Germany will be very high on my list
2. Nico Suave & Team Liebe - "Hallo Welt" 8/10 I lie this one, it sounds so German to me, but late 00s or smth like that :)
3. Felicia Liu - "Anxiety" 8/10 I like this one too, it is quite cute and her singing reminds me of Lena
4. Emily Roberts - "Soap" 7/10 this one is so American, it is not bad at all, but it is not very good for performance so it can go quite wrong, we will see..
5. Eros Alomus - "Alive" 5/10 in the middle, nth special
6. Mael & Jonas - "I Swear to God" 4/10 not for me..

I bims

Veteran
My god move on. They not only apologized, they are changing their name and made a video where a professor explains why the name is problematic and gave a history of the racism around it, educating themselves and their audience while also raising awareness.
And they changed the lyrics of their song. In general they have not shown homophobic behavior since, so this "they said something homophobic in a stupid song once" is just petty.

They passed on Eskimo Callboy because they don't want to win. (They wouldn't even win so it's just stupid to not pick them).

Last edited:
Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
3d74481a1a8b41deac4bcd4301774840.gif

I Swear To God performed by Maël & Jonas

Rockstars performed by Malik Harris
Soap performed by Emily Roberts
Anxiety performed by Felicia Lu
alive performed by eros atmus
Hallo Welt performed by Nico Suave & Team Liebe

Mainshow

Veteran
The German broadcaster wrote that they can't and don't want to support any petitions regarding ESC.

They keep on deleting all links and prevent us from making use of a democratic opportunity to level criticism at their selection processes.

But seriously, I've been a fan since 1997 but I've never seen/heard of so many negative comments regarding our own national final.

They used to be quite good in the first half of the 00's, though - we saw participants from different genres...even Schlager, Rock and Techno.

After so many years of disappointing national finals without much variety in terms of genre/sounds and the horrible internal selections....we have been promises to get something new, promising and diverse and we got a less diverse national final than the Irish one...

I'm glad people are posting on their socials, singing that petition.... seriously, our broadcaster needs to act!

We got a dubious wildcard (Sisters) back in 2019 all of a sudden AFTER the announcement of our NF acts... it's not too late to react to the will of the masses...

I bims

Veteran
The German broadcaster wrote that they can't and don't want to support any petitions regarding ESC.

They keep on deleting all links and prevent us from making use of a democratic opportunity to level criticism at their selection processes.

But seriously, I've been a fan since 1997 but I've never seen/heard of so many negative comments regarding our own national final.

They used to be quite good in the first half of the 00's, though - we saw participants from different genres...even Schlager, Rock and Techno.

After so many years of disappointing national finals without much variety in terms of genre/sounds and the horrible internal selections....we have been promises to get something new, promising and diverse and we got a less diverse national final than the Irish one...

I'm glad people are posting on their socials, singing that petition.... seriously, our broadcaster needs to act!

We got a dubious wildcard (Sisters) back in 2019 all of a sudden AFTER the announcement of our NF acts... it's not too late to react to the will of the masses...
Let's sabotage it and vote for "Hallo Welt". They will for sure be last place in May and we can at least enjoy the 0 points again.

• Say Yay
Reactions: Rob

Daybreak

What I find weird about this obsession with "radio-friendliness" is that in my experience, the German music market has often been fairly open to loads of different types of music, including quite weird/novelty stuff (at least in the past), and after listening to this Eskimo Callboy song, it should fit right in.

For example, offiziellecharts.de has become one of my more interesting places to find/rediscover (mostly older) songs after I started working on compiling a database of music that I've liked/that has some nostalgic value for me (they have samples/embedded Youtube vids, lots of overlap with what has been popular in Estonia, and since Germany is an electronic music powerhouse, a bunch of those types of songs) and it's surprising how much variety there is. Admittedly, I did check out more current charts too and I guess it has been become more generic - right now, the main German stuff there appears to be rappers and occasional EDM acts, which I guess are too radical for NDR.

Franzilein

Screenshot-3.png

Fellow Germans going full Galgenhumor on reddit as well. Was quite an interesting read in that thread, one of the composers of Spirit in the Sky was also there and heavily disappointed about the selection (the German pop and radio scene in general) and about EC not being one of them. Said that even the worst song in Norway's final would be better than our entry :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom