(We used to be the rockstars)

Remembering gets so hard
When time is moving so fast
Wish there was a way to know that we're in
The good old days before we all just leave 'em​

Last edited by a moderator:

midnightsun

Veteran
I would have been surprised if she was kept in the jury, after all it’s clearly against the EBU rules.

But who cares about anything German at this point, I feel we aren’t represented at all this year, not even with all the "scandals" so far. Boring song, Malik is super lovely but rather shy and we did not see much of him in terms of promo, he‘s not the type for shenanigans for the press, nobody really writes about Germany…

I like Malik and wish him the best but I somehow forget we even take part. If we suddenly missed the final I‘m not sure if I'd notice at all…

Mainshow

Veteran
It´s embarrassing. Germany at Eurovision is embarrassing.
Our broadcaster seems to have no clue - they don´t know how to organise a national final - they don´t know how Eurovision works ("Germany has only been successful when we submit inoffensive and radio-friendly pop songs in English") - they don´t know how to deal with criticism - they don´t know how to listen to the fans, the press and the public - they don´t know how to compose a jury.

We are talking about people whose job it is to take care of the Eurovision Song Contest - at least, they should know the rules and double-check their jury members.

Felicia Lu seems lovely and she really cares about the contest - hopefully, she can be part of the German jury in another edition.

Mainshow

Veteran
Peter Urban was interviewed by "Rheinische Post". The article/interview got published yesterday.

He didn´t say anything bad but I had to cringe when he already blames the "problematic voting system" for Malik´s result ("We will probably finish mid-table in a lot of countries but since only the Top 10 is about to get any points, Germany can struggle again").

I´m quite surprised that he didn´t really notice the level of criticism at NDR for not letting Eskimo Callboy participate in the national final.

That said, it´s great that he also said that he was "missing some variety/diversity" in the national final.

He also mentioned that "Rockstar" is better than anything in the last three years.
Still, he thinks that Malik Harris won´t finish at the top or mid-table... he´s wishing for #15 position in the end.

If he´s hoping for a #15 placing for Malik Haris and didn´t like our entries in the last three years, why did he mention it that he was "so surprised and disappointed" that Europe hadn´t been voting for "Sister" and "I don´t feel hate"? :D

Urban´s favourite entry this year: :uk:

He also mentioned that "it´has become quite difficult for commentators" to commentate on Eurovision because the entries got more serious, professional over the years (the fun entries, trashy bops are gone and thus, less potentital to be mean).

Looren

Veteran
He also mentioned that "Rockstar" is better than anything in the last three years.
Still, he thinks that Malik Harris won´t finish at the top or mid-table... he´s wishing for #15 position in the end.

If he´s hoping for a #15 placing for Malik Haris and didn´t like our entries in the last three years, why did he mention it that he was "so surprised and disappointed" that Europe hadn´t been voting for "Sister" and "I don´t feel hate"? :D

Did he say that he didn't like Sister and I don't feel hate or did he just say that Rockstars is better ?

HayashiM

Veteran
Peter Urban was interviewed by "Rheinische Post". The article/interview got published yesterday.

He didn´t say anything bad but I had to cringe when he already blames the "problematic voting system" for Malik´s result ("We will probably finish mid-table in a lot of countries but since only the Top 10 is about to get any points, Germany can struggle again").

I´m quite surprised that he didn´t really notice the level of criticism at NDR for not letting Eskimo Callboy participate in the national final.

That said, it´s great that he also said that he was "missing some variety/diversity" in the national final.

Urban´s favourite entry this year: :uk:

He also mentioned that "it´has become quite difficult for commentators" to commentate on Eurovision because the entries got more serious, professional over the years (the fun entries, trashy bops are gone and thus, less potentital to be mean).
If less potential to be mean means your job as a commentator has become more difficult, you most probably suck at your job :)

Mainshow

Veteran
Did he say that he didn't like Sister and I don't feel hate or did he just say that Rockstars is better ?
He said that he "likes it better/more than X in the last 3 years".
He used "so manches" [many others] as X - personally, I don´t think that you can translate it word-by-word since the meaning is a bit different, imo.
He was just polite, imo.

Mainshow

Veteran
If less potential to be mean means your job as a commentator has become more difficult, you most probably suck at your job :)

Thank you! I immediately thought the same when I read his statement.
BBC should take notice as well!
I´ve always asked myself why it´s considered to be entertaining or funny if a Eurovision commentator tries to bash a country/entry.
Urban referred to Jedward as "hyperactive bouncy balls" and indirectly compared Sanda (Romania 2004) to a sex worker.

I prefer watching the YouTube streams without any commentator, tbh.

Looren

Veteran
Thank you! I immediately thought the same when I read his statement.
BBC should take notice as well!
I´ve always asked myself why it´s considered to be entertaining or funny if a Eurovision commentator tries to bash a country/entry.
Urban referred to Jedward as "hyperactive bouncy balls" and indirectly compared Sanda (Romania 2004) to a sex worker.

I prefer watching the YouTube streams without any commentator, tbh.

I remember watching ESC last year on some German channel 'cause the French commentators were pissing me off

Am happy I don't understand German now :lol:

Mainshow

Veteran
Jess Schöne will replace Felicia Lu as a jury member
(TV host "Dein Song für die eine Welt", "Junior Eurovision Song Contest")

Realest

Felicia Lu seems lovely and she really cares about the contest - hopefully, she can be part of the German jury in another edition.

Hopefully only, when she builds up a Career.

midnightsun

Veteran
I do enjoy funny comments from the commentators once in a while but if they are only dragging the song and the artist down, it’s just unfair.
People will get a bad impression of the song by default, thus less likely to vote. If you mock the show it will lead to reduced voting numbers.

And yes, I also have a feeling that the NDR/Germany does everything ESC related only half-heartedly. They sprinkle no joy on what they are doing concerning the ESC.

The Eurovision.de team around Alina & Stefan is so funny and great, the only silver lining in the ESC-desert Germany.
Everything is so lacklustre here.

I really didn’t joke when I said I‘m a little bit jealous of our Austrian fellows because I once want to have that feeling again to root for my own country, feel the euphoria.
But I have realized that Germany does not want to put any more effort than the least minimum into Eurovision as long as it’s still one of the most watched tv shows.
They haven’t been invested for quite a long time*, since the 90s actually, when they even didn’t broadcast the ESC 1996 on our main channel because Germany didn’t take part. So arrogant of them! Still embarrassed we demanded the big 5 to avoid that.
* - except for 2010 and Stefan Raab hyping the contest once again.

Rant over! :D Luckily I am able to enjoy the other countries and with or without Germany‘s participation, I will always love and enjoy Eurovision! xheart

Franzilein

Felicia is not part of the jury anymore (due to the issues with the already published rankings by her)

Welcome to German eurovision! Don't mind the sparks and flames, they are part of the vibe! 😂

sad-dying.gif

I can't anymore with this broadcaster :ROFLMAO:

ESC94

Top Bottom