Contact us

General ESC Statistics 1956 to 2012

NemesisNick

Sorry to duplicate something I originally posted somewhere else, but I think it's best to have a dedicated thread to discuss ESC statistics in general from 1956 to 2012 inclusive.

Following Loreen's win, Sweden have now won 5 (five) times.
1974 ABBA "Waterloo" 24 points (winning margin 6 points ahead of Italy, N.B. different scoring system then)
1984 Herrey's "Diggi-loo Diggy-ley" 145 points (winning margin 8 points ahead of Ireland)
1991 Carola "Fångad Av En Stormvind" 146 points (tied with France, but decided on 10 point votes)
1999 Charlotte Nilsson "Take Me To Your Heaven" 163 points (winning margin 17 points ahead of Iceland)
2012 Loreen "Euphoria" 372 points (runaway victory, winning margin 113 points ahead of Russia)

Notice also that Sweden's latest gap between wins 1999 to 2012 is their longest to-date (13 years). That's also the eighth longest gap between wins overall in the history of the Contest.

That also ends the 16 year run of a different winner each year 1996 to 2011 inclusive (Ireland, United Kingdom, Israel, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Turkey, Ukraine, Greece, Finland, Serbia, Russia, Norway, Germany, Azerbaijan), the longest in ESC history.

Being as Sweden's last win "Take Me To Your Heaven" was in 1999, we now need to start the list of a different winner each year from 2000 Denmark. Thus there has now been a 13 year run of a different winner each year 2000 to 2012 inclusive. It will now take 3 years of winning countries not in the 2000 to 2012 run (Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Turkey, Ukraine, Greece, Finland, Serbia, Russia, Norway, Germany, Azerbaijan, Sweden) to equal the previous 16 year (1996 to 2011) record, and 4 years of winning countries not in that said run to beat it.

A selection of interesting statistics in the aftermath of the 2012 ESC Grand Final are available on my blog.
http://www.nemesis-nick.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/eurovision-song-contest-statistics-2012.html

The statistics shown there are as follows (you may click the following links below to jump directly to the following sections).
Thirteen Years Of Different Winners
Years Taken To First Win Eurovision Song Contest
Still Waiting For A First Win
When Will They Win Again?
Gaps Between Wins
How Many Wins?

Please use this thread to comment on those statistics. If you can think of any other noteworthy ESC statistics from 1956 to 2012 inclusive air them here. N.B. If you want to analyse points and/or places over the years, you'll need to omit 1956 (points and places not known), and just base your analysis on 1957 to 2012 inclusive.

Top Bottom