Contact us

Finland FINLAND 2024 - Windows95man - No Rules!

How do you rate this entry?

26 14.9%

8 4.6%

9 5.1%

8 4.6%

17 9.7%

6 3.4%

17 9.7%

12 6.9%

9 5.1%

17 9.7%

46 26.3%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Ajeje Brazorf

In my opinion the only song here which can be a top 10 in Eurovision is, with a great performance, Paskana. Some of the others are good, but I don't see them competitive enough to be really honest...

b4ld3r

I think I should stop writing first impressions, because I always have to walk them back after spending more time with the song. :cry:

The chorus to Vox Populi is unbelievably catchy, and I enjoy the song on a similar level to Sexmane and Sara. Any of those three are a lock for my top 10 in the actual contest most likely, maybe top five even considering how the year is turning out so far...

The lyrics are stupid, but I don't really see it as anything more controversial than what an average Nordic guy of their demographics and income would think, for better or for worse. Just from what very little I know from their music beforehand I wouldn't expect them to share political opinions with Hatari exactly.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I think I should stop writing first impressions, because I always have to walk them back after spending more time with the song. :cry:

The chorus to Vox Populi is unbelievably catchy, and I enjoy the song on a similar level to Sexmane and Sara. Any of those three are a lock for my top 10 in the actual contest most likely, maybe top five even considering how the year is turning out so far...

The lyrics are stupid, but I don't really see it as anything more controversial than what an average Nordic guy of their demographics and income would think, for better or for worse. Just from what very little I know from their music beforehand I wouldn't expect them to share political opinions with Hatari exactly.

I honestly agree with the message.

Every opinion is wrong and right at the same time. We as humans can't achieve a complete insight anyway. :)

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
9 Cyan Kicks - Dancing With Demons
9 Sara Siipola - Paskana
9 Mikael Gabriel x nublu - Vox populi

6 Jesse Markin - Glow
6 Sexmane - MANIA
6 Sini Sabotage - Kuori mua

6 Windows95man - No Rules!

Ok, put together my rank for UMK. Remarkbly uniform . I get some may feel disappointed compared to last year but imo I think it's a really strong NF line up. Probably my favourite of the year so far by quite a mile. I like every song one way or another (the ones in orange have points I dislike that drag them down) but I don't think they're bad at all. Cyan Kicks, Sara & Mikel/nublu are my big favourites here. I held of on 10s because they didn't feel just quite enough for my 10. Vox Populi chorus is so insanely catchy, it's instantly stuck in my head.

Luneaux

It's unfortunate that I don't really have a favorite song to win at the moment, I think it's quite even between every participant, most of the songs are decent or bland... I really like Paskana, Glow and Dancing With Demons though. It looks like I'll be voting based on a live show next month. xheart

Franzilein

"Real music" isn't autotune - all of these songs are autotuned, some a lot. There isn't a single song in which the vocal stands out and sounds relatively clean and unedited. So much for "reality".

Even unedited-sounding vocals are edited, you may as well go back to the 60's for "clean and real vocals".

jatojo

Even unedited-sounding vocals are edited, you may as well go back to the 60's for "clean and real vocals".
I wrote “sounds relatively clean and unedited”.

There are many Eurovision songs where you can hardly tell the difference between the studio track and the live version, even from the era of the live orchestra.

heke1988

I will vote either Cyan Kicks or Sara Siipola. Depens on their live performance, stage and live singing:).

Paco Roca

I can say that UMK has a very strong selection. Even the songs that are not first in my rankings I not only like but I see them all as excellent contenders at the ESC. Finland is proving to be among the best countries in Europe when it comes to music. Blind Channel, The Rasmus, Käärijää... Every year has given us a pearl.

Here is my ranking starting from the last:

7. Jesse Markin: A song that is last is usually bad but this is not the case. I liked it but, compared to the others, it impressed me less.

6. Mikael Gabriel feat. Nublu: excellent sound but clashes too much with his arch-enemy Window95Man and also with the somewhat party atmosphere of other competing songs. Compared to Window95Man I like it less because I find the duo more pretentious, arrogant and less light-hearted. Looking at the singers and watching their song I get vibes like "We are the most beautiful and the strongest". I couldn't get involved, get into their music.

5. Sini Sabotage: in my opinion she is underrated by the fandom. Finland brought a Britney Spears-style song to the competition. The American singer is unreachable for Sini Sabotage but she made me feel a bit of a "Toxic" vibe 🫢

4. Window95Man: follows the same vein as Käärijää the nice guy. It seems a bit like the "poor people's PSY" but deep down I like it. For me, his victory would be the final blow for Finland. The comparison with "Cha Cha Cha" would be merciless. It would give detractors a chance to find an excuse not to vote for them.

3. Sexmane: highly qualitative song both from a compositional point of view and in the video and I felt a little of that gangsta atmosphere. Sexmane is a tough guy 😎😄

2. Sara Siipola: guilty pleasure? No, here I see a very beautiful song with brilliant singing. I'm sure the language is Finnish but hearing the singer sing like that made me feel like that exotic desert. Furthermore, I also see some Latin American sound elements well blended, not strong, but just enough to be a cherry on the cake.

1. Cyan Kicks: Can we say UMK ends here? Here's the winner! Great metal performance that has nothing to envy of the great mainstream successes. The song is strong and seductive. Listening to her I feel like a vampire dancing his own novia and ready to suck her blood 🧛‍♂️😏 In my opinion Cyan Kicks would compete with Blind Channel for the best Finnish rock song. Superior to The Rasmus. I don't mention Lordi and their victory achieved with a masquerade ball. Perhaps Lordi was a moral precursor but, although the stage side was impactful, technically it is not at the level of any of the subsequent songs.

Good job Finland! 💪

Last edited:

Datura

Hm i gotta admit i'm a bit disappointed with this years selection aswell, theres nothing that i really love (and last year i adored Lxandra, KUUMA & Käärjä (and i liked Benjamins song aswell).)

i think i'd probably go with Cyan Kicks, though their last entry was much better imo (i wish this had more oomph, something is missing here). I kinda like Windows95man, though it's a bit toooo trashy imo. i'm curious how this will sound live because it's vocally pretty challenging. it would actually be my favourite but i'm a bit afraid we're gonna have too many trashy songs this year...

but yea maybe they all deliver great stagings and an awesome live show again so this probably turns out way better than expected. I somehow think Sara Siipola could be the 1 with the right staging

edit:
My personal Ranking would be

1. Windows95man
2. Cyan Kicks
3. Sara Siipola
4. Sexmane
5. Jesse Markin
6. Mikael Gabriel & nublu
7. Sini Sabotage

Last edited:

Aitonimi

5/10 Cyan Kicks
6/10 Sexmane
6/10 Jesse Markin
6/10 Windows95man
7/10 Sini Sabotage
8/10 Sara Siipola
9/10 Mikael Gabriel x nublu

These are my scores without watching the videos, just listening.
Every songs are on pleasant level, I could listen all of them on background. Vox populi catches me the most.

All videos are pretty good. Yle is again portraying well finnish music, well done! (y)My favorite videos are Mikael Gabriel x nublu, Windows95man, Sexmane.

Interesting to see how the lives will be. All the videos has already usable theme for the live in my opinion.

jatojo

The three most unmelodic songs are the bottom three in the bookmakers' rating.

rasmuslights

Veteran
According to IG comments:

1. Sara is the main favourite.
2. Glow is surprisingly 2nd (deserved tbh)
3. No Rules and Vox Populi are more or less getting the same support.
4. All others are not getting a lot of comments.

theditz83

Veteran
My ranking - expect either Sara Siipola or Cyan Kicks to win tbh:

9.5 Windows95man
8 Sara Siipola

7.5 Cyan Kicks
7.5 Sini Sabotage

6 Jesse Markin
6 Mikael Gabriel x nublu

4 Sexmane

Chatiainen

Cyan Kicks: 12
Sexmane: 4
Jesse Markin: 8
Windows95man: 1
Sini Sabotage: 2
Sara Siipola: 10
Mikael Gabriel x nublu: 6

Opinions may change when we see the live performances.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

My ranking:

01. Sara Siipola - Paskana
02. Sini Sabotage - Kuori mua
03. Cyan Kicks - Dancing With Demons
04. Sexmane - Mania
05. Mikael Gabriel x nublu - Vox populi
06. Jesse Markin - Glow
07. Windows95man - No Rules!

Mattan

I'm certainly delighted that UMK has become genuinely popular as an event people want to follow, and that it reflects current trends in Finnish music, but the latter point does also mean the selected songs ended up being rather uninteresting.

I quite enjoy Windows95man in general, but his song isn't anything to write home about, CK were better last time, and while both Sara Siipola and Sini Sabotage have something going for them, their songs won't make my playlist. MGN seem to be making a joke that doesn't land, while Jesse Markin and Sexmane leave no memory whatsoever.

That's everyone, then. There are no real stinkers in there, but also nothing that would make me want to vote for it; there was never going to be another Käärijä, but Yle went all in on cementing UMK as a trendy event, forgetting that going at least slightly out of the box tends to produce the most interesting entries. The good news is that whoever wins will have some connection to what Finns generally like listening to outside the context of UMK – and if you can predict the winner, do bet on it, because there are still good odds to be had. Personally, though, I'd like to feel something; if there's no song to love, even having a song to dislike would be more interesting than all of them leaving little impact.

Last edited:

Chatiainen

According to IG comments:

1. Sara is the main favourite.
2. Glow is surprisingly 2nd (deserved tbh)
3. No Rules and Vox Populi are more or less getting the same support.
4. All others are not getting a lot of comments.

I also really liked the Glow song and I wonder why it hasn't received more positive attention. Maybe I have bad taste in music then..? Every time I listen to that song I feel like dancing all over the housexdance2

Top Bottom