Contact us

Finland FINLAND 2024 - Windows95man - No Rules!

How do you rate this entry?

26 14.9%

8 4.6%

9 5.1%

8 4.6%

17 9.7%

6 3.4%

17 9.7%

12 6.9%

9 5.1%

17 9.7%

46 26.3%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Judas

FSC Mod
Staff member
I think as I've said before on here, I'm not against fun songs as a general rule, it's this type of song that bothers me. In the UK, it now feels like Eurovision is being taken more seriously and these kinds of acts are the exception to the rule now. It's getting a level of credibility it hasn't had in years and that's down to the contest taking itself a little more seriously and breakout songs/artists coming from it - Maneskin, Rosa Linn, Loreen etc.

For me, that progress is at real risk of being undone by acts like this which just reinforce the old stereotypes that were long ingrained in the UK's psyche from the early 00s. I'm sure it's a mindset that applies much wider too.

This Finnish act just feels cheap and tacky and harks back to that 00s era where Eurovision had become a joke. It's now (relatively) cool and credible and this song is just is a major backwards step imo. I think what's worse for me is that is comes across as insincere and fake wacky/cheesy. Käärijä felt genuine and the song was fun too. This song may be fun (not for me personally) but it comes across as fake.
I am not sure if I follow this notion. The "tackiness" as you put it has always been a part of Eurovision. We have a good mix of serious and fun entries in general. There are so many Eurofans out there who love Eurovision for what it is. If we need to think about the new fans who may find the contest "joke" just because songs like No Rules! are in the mixed bag, then I am not sure if this is the right event for them to enjoy. Dismissing people who have been long time fan for this spirit of the contest and thinking about new people joining the community feeling off by this song, then I would not mind about the new people not enjoying Eurovision for what it is.

Such sentiments always give me an eerie feeling. It makes me feel like people see the duo as just so cringe to watch and it requires a low IQ or a really bad taste to enjoy such entries. I gradually feel more timid to speak out of my appreciation for such entries and I don't feel comfortable about expressing my enjoyment.

Jupiter

They could have pulled out if they were that offended by a foreign war. Eurovision is by definition a non-political event. It’s actions like this that makes it political. All seems like nonsense to me. Jumping on a bandwagon.

Hon, again, they thought they had zero chance at winning (like the absolute majority of people did), so they didn't think they'd need to withdraw. Now that they have won, now they're thinking about it. And it's not just about their political stance regarding Israel, but about all the hate and general shit they've gotten in masses since they won, something they weren't mentally prepared for at all. Teemu apparently already said he'll sort this all out in therapy. And there's likely a lot of pressure from other finnish artists.

If you want to complain about someone causing drama, you're right, but complain about the people causing it. Not the artists that have to deal with it.

HarryUK

Veteran
Hon, again, they thought they had zero chance at winning (like the absolute majority of people did), so they didn't think they'd need to withdraw. Now that they have won, now they're thinking about it. And it's not just about their political stance regarding Israel, but about all the hate and general shit they've gotten in masses since they won, something they weren't mentally prepared for at all. Teemu apparently already said he'll sort this all out in therapy. And there's likely a lot of pressure from other finnish artists.

If you want to complain about someone causing drama, you're right, but complain about the people causing it. Not the artists that have to deal with it.
I’ve already said that the ones sending abuse should just be ignored; it’s all the same arguments copied and pasted. Doesn’t make it right obviously, however if they withdraw due to that, it’ll only make everything worse.

Ted Talks

I am not sure if I follow this notion. The "tackiness" as you put it has always been a part of Eurovision. We have a good mix of serious and fun entries in general. There are so many Eurofans out there who love Eurovision for what it is. If we need to think about the new fans who may find the contest "joke" just because songs like No Rules! are in the mixed bag, then I am not sure if this is the right event for them to enjoy. Dismissing people who have been long time fan for this spirit of the contest and thinking about new people joining the community feeling off by this song, then I would not mind about the new people not enjoying Eurovision for what it is.

Such sentiments always give me an eerie feeling. It makes me feel like people see the duo as just so cringe to watch and it requires a low IQ or a really bad taste to enjoy such entries. I gradually feel more timid to speak out of my appreciation for such entries and I don't feel comfortable about expressing my enjoyment.
Hmm, I think this is a strange take tbh and at no point am I insinuating anyone who enjoys this song has a low IQ. That’s really twisting my words there and I don’t appreciate that at all.

If the contest never welcomed in new fans, Eurovision would die. It needs new fans and can’t just pander to those who have been long term ones.

It has become more popular with younger viewers in recent years as it’s begun to ditch the ‘tackier’ elements and has moved more towards credible or less OTT camp and ‘Eurovisiony’ music. That’s been to its benefit. It has to adapt. It can’t stay in the early 00s era forever.

Of course you can’t please everyone all the time but to me, certainly from my position in the UK, Eurovision’s reputation has improved (a lot down to Sam Ryder) but in general because the contest how showcased it’s more credible image the last few years.

Reverting back to type will just give ammunition to general viewers who think of it as a tacky cheesy event in May.

rasmuslights

Veteran
For me, it's not about the fans but the artists.

I honestly think that having such artists as Windows95man who are making a parody of the contest, in which some artists are participating and taking it seriously, is damaging, especially since they are rewarded for it.

I also think you can like the song as much as you like but voting for this when there are many more serious and quality attempts... idk, of course, you have the right to do that but I don't think it's good for the contest unless you enjoyed the 2000's.

And again, I don't think all "fun" entries are like this. But this definitely feels like it's making fun of the contest and is only here for the shock value and nothing else.

NO hate to anyone who thinks otherwise but I'm also allowed to have my opinion as do you.

Last edited:

aef

I have to downgrade from :6: to :3: points because the song is actually even more bad and annoying than I thought, staging is too silly.

It crosses the line for me and is too trashy.

Last year was perfect but Käärijä brought a way more elaborate product to Eurovision than that.

Ted Talks

For me, it's not about the fans but the artists.

I honestly think that having such artists as Windows95man who are making a parody of the contest, in which some artists are participating and taking it seriously, is damaging, especially since they are rewarded for it.

I also think you can like the song as much as you like but voting for this when there are many more serious and quality attempts... idk, of course, you have the right to do that but I don't think it's good for the contest unless you enjoyed the 2000's.

And again, I don't think all "fun" entries are like this. But this definitely feels like it's making fun of the contest and is only here for the shock value and nothing else.

NO hate to anyone who thinks otherwise but I'm also allowed to have my opinion as do you.
I agree. I do think there’s a place for fun acts at Eurovision. As we’ve said, Cha Cha Cha was fun, but had a lot more going for it as a song.

Who the Hell is Edgar? was similarly a great fun song with a lot more to it. Obviously the grand final staging sapped a lot of fun out of it, but it was still a fun song.

I think that’s where it’s crucial to me. If your act is taking the piss out of Eurovision (which I feel this year’s Finnish act is doing) then that’s harmful to Eurovision going forward. It’s worked hard to make itself more accessible and cool and then a ‘naked’ man having a dance on stage with pyro just feels not in keeping with that anymore.

It’s much the same way a few years ago on another forum I was a part of that some UK fans wanted drag queens to represent us with a really tongue in cheek effort that took the piss out of Eurovision.

I’m so glad that never happened. The contest has (mostly) matured and it’s all the better for it.

EscGeek

Veteran
The beauty of eurovision for me is that "Anything goes" : "Expect the unexpected"
The fact that Sasha Bognibov and Loreen have the same right to apply is beautiful.
Of course the success rate varies. But if a sizeable number of people have your back (regardless of your talent, charisma, social status, artistry, race, gender, age, career longevity, education, ocupation, nationality etc.) you deserve to be on that stage.

I really hope Windows95man accepts. Israel wlll be isolated from the rest anyways for security reasons, and the trolls will move on soon after the contest like last year.

aef

I have to downgrade from :6: to :3: points because the song is actually even more bad and annoying than I thought, staging is too silly.

It crosses the line for me and is too trashy.

Last year was perfect but Käärijä brought a way more elaborate product to Eurovision than that.
Honestly I'm still not able to rate this properly. I mean I wrote this today and now I'm a bit torn again. It's awful and genius at the same time hahah. Well the song is bad as hell but the staging is so good in it's own crazy way. I don't know. This is the first Eurovision song ever I can't rate, I think. How on earth should I compare this to other songs or even put in a ranking with other songs?

After all I think I'll leave it at that low score though. I just don't like the fact that it feels so 2007-ish. :fi: 2023 brought us contemporary and elaborate fun, same as :at: 23 for example, but :fi: 2024 is proably that one song that will ruin the whole new drive Eurovision got since 2010/2011. Everyone outside will proably be like "that's typical Eurovision trash"... I don't know. I like the recent direction of Eurovision, with more and more people of my generation starting to watch it because the got in touch with it through acts like Maneskin/ Duncan/ Loreen....

heke1988

Honestly I'm still not able to rate this properly. I mean I wrote this today and now I'm a bit torn again. It's awful and genius at the same time hahah. Well the song is bad as hell but the staging is so good in it's own crazy way. I don't know. This is the first Eurovision song ever I can't rate, I think. How on earth should I compare this to other songs or even put in a ranking with other songs?
History has been made.

heke1988

The funny thing is, this song will do better at ESC than "Paskana" would have.
Well to be fair, we will never know that.

0scar

Sara Siipola should've worked on her performance in the upcoming months for sure because her UMK performance wasn't selling the song properly, but I'm sure it could be a top 10 contender if they would get the staging and vocals right in Malmö.

Feel like this will get a Croatia 2023-like result, although I'm not really sure about its chances to get top 10 in the final televote.

And even if we expect this to do better than Paskana in Eurovision - No Rules! is just.. well, never mind.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Sara Siipola should've worked on her performance in the upcoming months for sure because her UMK performance wasn't selling the song properly, but I'm sure it could be a top 10 contender if they would get the staging and vocals right in Malmö.

Feel like this will get a Croatia 2023-like result, although I'm not really sure about its chances to get top 10 in the final televote.

And even if we expect this to do better than Paskana in Eurovision - No Rules! is just.. well, never mind.

Period.

Sara Siipola had potential. This doesn't.

ALL other acts had the potential to do sth. great at esc. This was the only one that can't go beyond what it is - a joke.

Rasmus0714

After all I think I'll leave it at that low score though. I just don't like the fact that it feels so 2007-ish. :fi: 2023 brought us contemporary and elaborate fun, same as :at: 23 for example, but :fi: 2024 is proably that one song that will ruin the whole new drive Eurovision got since 2010/2011. Everyone outside will proably be like "that's typical Eurovision trash"... I don't know. I like the recent direction of Eurovision, with more and more people of my generation starting to watch it because the got in touch with it through acts like Maneskin/ Duncan/ Loreen....
Yet tattoo won in 2023, tattoo belongs to the same time period as this song:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Top Bottom