Contact us

Finland FINLAND 2024 - Windows95man - No Rules!

How do you rate this entry?

26 14.9%

8 4.6%

9 5.2%

8 4.6%

17 9.8%

6 3.4%

17 9.8%

12 6.9%

9 5.2%

17 9.8%

45 25.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Fluke

Still lowkey rooting for this. I'm curious if they're going to recreate the NF performance, or if they have a completely different, new staging in mind...

saunis

Last year, Cha Cha Cha sounded like a great metal song was hidden under all the rap clatter. 🤘 This year, there's also a metal song under the '90s dance music, but maybe it's even more clearly audible than last year. After a bit of digging into Henri Piispanen's background, a band known for heavier metal named Sinking Charlie is revealed. 🎸 Growls! However, we didn't go for growling, but we slightly tilted our cover song towards the heavier direction of music.

Lance Esgard

Personally I find the national final performing a bit depressing because it reminds of how Microsoft used to have a proper logo that was distinctive and aesthetically appealing instead of the blandest of logos it has today.

ESC94

Today it was time for :fi: at the ESC komakt songchecks 2024.

The verdict of the bloggers:

Benny - To me it seems like Finland tried to copy the successful formula (catchy record,funny,eye-catching,entertaining) of last year but took the wrong turn somewhere along the way. That´s sadly slapstick, even though I can´t deny some catchy qualitites of the song. "No Rules!" will have a hard time against the many different but more "high-quality" party songs. :5:

Berenike - Until now that´s too "party trashy" funny for me and therefore doesn´t really convince me, even though it´s really catchy and dancable of course. The rule "it has to be cool trash, not flat trash" does aplly somehow. Due to that :3: at the moment, but maybe the Finns will be able to swing the pendulum to "cool trash" in Malmö.

Douze Points - No matter how bad the live vocals are: I like the entry and song. It makes me feel a good mood and the chorus is absolutely catchy and goes ahead. The performance entertains the whole three minutes and is almost a masterpiece of the staging and camera work. In the Käärjä-2.0 battle against Joost the Windows95man is likely to lose though. :8:

Flo - For sure the Finnish performance will be discussed after the final because there we will certainly find Windows94man. Then "No Rules!" will line up rather in the midfield though since the song will, especially among juries, end up a bit weaker. As a show performance a fitting ESC entry, but musically there are stronger songs among the uptempo tracks. :6:

Manu - Im extremely rarely enthusiastic about this kind of humour that´s only based on dressing up crazy, fooling around and making fun about something in a rather insubstantial way. So I rather concentrate on the song and not on the extremely badly sung performance. But even this doesn´t give all that much, I hear this kind of 80s Synth sounds that didn´t excite me even back in the day, but at least in the catchy melody in the chorus I find a reason to give points. :2:

Max - Do you know this when you find a joke veeery funny but then you hear it all over again and at some point it´s not comical anymore but rather awkward?? That´s pretty much how I feel about Finland. At the Finnish final it was still the fulminant victor who won unexpectedly, now "No Rules!" is just bobbing around for me. The song wants to attract attention and raise eyebrows, but others want the same and do exactly this better. The hookline stays rather catchy for me though. :5:

Peter - I can´t do all that much with "No Rules!". The chorus is quite catchy, but everything else is tiring. The "Ballermann elements" are intrusive, the chanting with the message about "no rules" is in no way inferior when it comes to unoriginality. A storm in a teacup. That feels pseudo-provocative for for me and the vocals make me nervous as well. The staging at UMK was pretty lively and entertaining. :4:

Rick - Even though I still think it´s sad for Sara Siipola who had the best song in the Finnish preselection I can´t hat "No Rules!". The whole production is fully in trend with the 90s Techno vibe and takes me away somehow, even though it should be clear that there´s musically something of higher quality. I rather see the Finnish entry as a stage play with background music and not as a song in priority. It´s hard to tell how far Windows95man will come with his kind of humour. The juries will hate it. :5:

SpiritofKeiino

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this nqs after seeing the reactions across Europe.
Yeah, the fan reaction to it hasn't been great and tbh I don't see the public loving it. IMO it's neither a good song nor funny.

Looking at the SF it's in, I think it will get through in 8th or 9th. But if it NQd I wouldn't be shocked.

Datura

i'm very positive that the public will really like this even if the fans don't. in the weaker semifinal 1 i actually think this will be top5. i'm just a bit surprised they did not put it later in the running order and quite close to croatia.

and: i think the blurred / pixelled windows logo he has on the shirt now is a great way to censor it while actually still sticking to it

Wynnter

Yeah... Uh... Okay, I guess I'll finally just get this one over with. xbored

It's a song from the 90s that is better off left in the past, but has instead managed to find its way to the Eurovision stage.

It's just so outdated in a bad way, you know? The chorus is actually quite alright and there is a good amount of punch to the song overall, which keeps this from falling any lower than 'below average'. But all the spoken parts and... the whole 'thing' with this only just ends up being amusing at best. I don't find this funny. I'm not doubting the artist's authenticity or joy in doing this, but it's not for me and I don't think it's for Eurovision either.

Now, UMK this year was just fine. So this winning wasn't that big of a deal. But I'm still not comfortable enough to not worry about Finns choosing yet another song like this when an actually great entry is in competition...

:4: points

rasmuslights

Veteran
Yeah... Uh... Okay, I guess I'll finally just get this one over with. xbored

It's a song from the 90s that is better off left in the past, but has instead managed to find its way to the Eurovision stage.

It's just so outdated in a bad way, you know? The chorus is actually quite alright and there is a good amount of punch to the song overall, which keeps this from falling any lower than 'below average'. But all the spoken parts and... the whole 'thing' with this only just ends up being amusing at best. I don't find this funny. I'm not doubting the artist's authenticity or joy in doing this, but it's not for me and I don't think it's for Eurovision either.

Now, UMK this year was just fine. So this winning wasn't that big of a deal. But I'm still not comfortable enough to not worry about Finns choosing yet another song like this when an actually great entry is in competition...

:4: points

I also find it interesting how locals complain about Eurovision being a circus but are then the first ones in line to vote for these type of songs. Like make it make sense.

AliceEsc

The song is ok, I kinda enjoy it. But the only thing I like about the staging is the blurred logo. I was hoping they would change it, but it seems like this is their selling point.

MAD20

You may hate this song, but it is undeniable this is a televote magnet and will most likely qualify, although it means some other songs deserving it more would stay in semis...

Realest

Its the Type of Song that qualifies with 80-100 TVs and gets 20-30 TVs in the Final.
(And 0-5 Jurypoints btw..)

Top Bottom