Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Lance Esgard

For anyone who is interested in watching the press's meet & greet sessions with the entrants, you can view them here:
Thanks. Up to this point the best I could find was what wiwibloggs had recorded.

esc87fan

New spokesperson announced: Duncan Laurence will reveal the Dutch jury results!

0scar

I love Nikkie's Looklab with all the contestant! I really like getting to know them better, and Nikkie is so sweet and considerate with every guest, giving them all the possibilities to shine. She's a true gem, and I love that she'll be hosting Eurovision.

Mainshow

Veteran
I love Nikkie's Looklab with all the contestant! I really like getting to know them better, and Nikkie is so sweet and considerate with every guest, giving them all the possibilities to shine. She's a true gem, and I love that she'll be hosting Eurovision.
Fully agree! - I didn't expect to like this, tbh, because such formats are not my cup of tea at all and (sorry if I sound discriminating) but I don't really like the Wiwibloggs videos. They usually focus on themselves, trying to sing along with the artists and it feels so hectic...

Nikkie is a sweetheart, though, of course, her videos/interviews are cut but overall, I love it that she is so calm and allows her guests to shine and do most of the talking. She makes them feel so relaxed as well.

ekzuu

The one thing I read that was distressing/upsetting to me was that they are excluding Ilse DeLange or not inviting her anywhere? I hope Calm After The Storm still gets mentioned or showed or smt during the show like it deserves

Zeus

The one thing I read that was distressing/upsetting to me was that they are excluding Ilse DeLange or not inviting her anywhere? I hope Calm After The Storm still gets mentioned or showed or smt during the show like it deserves
I'm more a fan of Waylon than Ilse, but yeah, one of the first things I would have done as a producer is planning a surprise act of Ilse and Waylon coming back together and singing Calm After The Storm for once. Like after the last song of the final or something.

She even said that they are allright with each other now or something. Such a big miss.

Mainshow

Veteran
Dunno but wasn't Ilse still occupied for "Dancing with the stars" in Germany? - She hasn't advanced to the next round but still, it was quite possible for her to have another commitment at that time

tararaaam

Btw, when are we addressing the issue that a few contestants are seriously abusing the backing track? I really feel like it’s a serious reason og boycotting, when the whole chorus or the high notes are lipsynced.

theditz83

Veteran
Btw, when are we addressing the issue that a few contestants are seriously abusing the backing track? I really feel like it’s a serious reason og boycotting, when the whole chorus or the high notes are lipsynced.
Which entries are you referring to specifically?

Mainshow

Veteran
Well Moldova, Croatia, Azerbaijan…

We've seen a short clip of Azerbaijan's chorus which is - apart from "ma ma ma mata hari" instrumental.

The last part of the song has been leaked online and you can totally hear that it's Efendi singing it (the few phrases).
It was obvious straight from the beginning that the weird sounding line in Azerbaijani wouldn't be live, no? (do you refer to that part?)

Moldova? - We haven't even heard the 2nd rehearsal yet?

Dunno about Croatia - at least, the high notes sounded live to me (I mean.. she wasn't even able to hit the notes, so...).

Last edited:

tararaaam

I mean, one can understand quite something by listening to the sound given from the lives of ESCUnited and wiwibloggs, for example Natalia not singing almost at all the high note in the end.

Ezio

Veteran

Ezio

Veteran
What about Anouk and her birds? That was the reset for :nl:

theditz83

Veteran
Albina in the chorus is drowned out by the backing vocal track, and because that is essential her own voice layered, it gives the impression that she's just lip-syncing. But it's clear from the "oh nooooooooos" especially that she is singing live as well. Same goes for Azerbaijan, the layered backing vocals of Efendi's part are giving her the opportunity to perhaps not give her all at those sections. But it may just be that during these rehearsals, they see no need to give 100% in terms of live vocals all the time and the clips we are seeing are simply showing sections when they were holding back.

Moldova is definitely live, because I remember being underwhelmed by her live vocal, and the fact that she looked and sounded a bit perplexed and bored in the 1st rehearsal. Again, big notes, she won't always go for them in rehearsals - it doesn't mean that she's going to go for the lazy route in the jury show or the actual semi final.

Killing your voice by singing high notes over and over again, especially considering the amount of run-throughs and rehearsals they would have before the actual judged shows wouldn't be recommended at all.

tararaaam

Lets hope that this is the case, and they won’t conciously hide behind the prerecorded track. And if they do, hopefully they also get that mirroring in their jury results, since the televoters may not notice.
I in general despise this system, Elena f.ex. sounds quite good, yet the mix with backing track does not necessarily allow her to showcase her good vocal.

DanielLuis

The singers really shouldn't have been allowed to be record their own backing tracks, that is bound to be exploited sooner rather than later.
I don't think Albina did it to hide behind the backing track (and in fact it really may hurt her because people will wrongly think she's lip syincing). But if the rule stays on like this delegations will take advantage of it next year.

Loindici

Veteran
Top Bottom