For all the people great and small
Oh, when all else is lost
The future still remains our own

I hope

The future still remains our own

I hope

EscGeek

Veteran
This is the kind of song i have to learn to like just for eurovision's sakexrofl
I mean i'm not totally against it, but winning the selection seems a bit much.
Victor Crone 2.0 basically.
Lazy chourus on both.. rhyming "like this" with "like this" vs. repeatedly saying two words with only two syllables.xexcuseme

:6:

hpp0

I actually really like the song, it was always from my favourites, though I think the chorus could be something more than just repeating "I hope" but alright. About the performance, on one hand I like that they used a Far West kind of theme for it but on the other hand for the biggest part of the performance something is missing but I don't think that the cowboys that they put is what is missing, I found them kinda ridiculous tbh. The last part of the performance was great tho. I imagine that the performance in Italy won't be identical but I think they should in general stage it differently, maybe with some dancers from earlier on or some prop.

The superfinal tho was kinda surprising, no big names (apart from Stefan) and I really didn't expected "What To Make Of This" to make it, but I'm glad cause it was from the songs that I liked.

ayzelto

This is good, but not wow. However, the season started pretty weak in my opinion, and this is one of the best so far. I'll give it a 7/12.

cegs5

I’m not offended by the pop elements in this, although the whole product is a bit cheesy with all possible stereotypes, I don’t mind. Not sure if it’s a pop song trying hard to be a western soundtrack or the opposite, but it is a potential grower.

:6: for now.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
The juries AND audience rejecting Ott and Stig like i've always hoped/thought they would xheart This superfinal was hella whack but the best option of the three won, so yay. Can't wait for Stefan's underwhelming 19th place in the Grand Final xheart

Merilin Mälk - "Little girl"
Andrej Zevakin & Grete Paia - "Mis nüüd saab"
Anna Sahlene - "Champion"
STEFAN - "Hope"
Elina Nechayeva - "Remedy"
Púr Múdd & Shira - "Golden shores"
Boamadu - "Mitte kauaks"
Black Velvet - "Sandra"
Jaagup Tuisk - "Kui vaid"
Evelin Samuel - "Waterfall"

Elysa - "Fire"
Jyrise - "Plaksuta"
Helen - "Vaata minu poole"
Maian - "Meeletu"
Kaia-Liisa Kesler - "Vaikus"
Minimal Wind & Elizabeth Tiffany - "What to make of this"

Stig Rästa - "Interstellar"
Alabama Watchdog - "Move on"
Frants Tikerpuu & Triin Niihtoja - "Laululind"
Ott Lepland - "Aovalguses"

Probably the best EL of the Rahula era, pity all the Big Established overdogs were pushed into the final over the lovable randoms though.

Last edited:

FilipFromSweden

Potential winner! :10:

crashworld

Veteran
The songs in Eesti Laul this year are pretty shite, aren't they? Listening to all 20 entries from both SF1 and SF2.
I didn't even like a single one or find one to root for in the competition.
  • "Golden Shores" could have been good if the vocalists are not so shite 'live' and give us nothing but dodgy vocals.
  • Jaagup's staging looks magical, but there is nothing in the song that hooks you.
  • "Champion" sounds like a cheap version of The Mamas' winning song. LOL.
  • The returnees all came back with sub-par songs.
My thoughts on the other 2 songs that make to the Superfinal:
  • "Fire" is like basically a early 2000s throwback ESC pop song. Such songs don't work anymore in the actual ESC. Shows how bad the other songs are that it went through instead.
  • "What To Make of This" is such a non-event of a song. If you want a song to relax on a Sunday afternoon, sure. But for ESC? Nope.
Back to the winning song:
  • Stefan is good-looking, got a great voice and performed the song well.
  • But the staging needs to go, the 2 cowboys scene is cringey as F.
  • Song wise, I am usually OK with country-pop, but this is FULL-ON country. I think it's fine. I don't think I will find myself actively reaching out to listen to it. If it comes out in the playlist, I will not skip it.
  • Think it's really the best out of the mediocre list of songs in the final.
  • Giving this a :6:. Feel like deducting points because of the crap staging.

heke1988

:6: for me. Good song, but nothing special to me.

laululind

Well, another Eesti Laul done and dusted. :LOL: Overall I think it was a pretty decent year! Liked the quarterfinals, liked quite a few songs, like the winner too. :D I've liked most of Stefan's previous entries, but this feels like the most competitive song he's had, so not a bad time to give him a chance. It was nice to have several potential contenders, even if the end result was not a huge surprise. Wasn't expecting Elysa or Minimal Wind to be in top 3 tho'. I guess Minimal Wind being saved by televoters in the semi was a hint, but still, second overall.. didn't see that coming. :LOL:

Ott and Elina both had improved performances in the final. Ott didn't look as funny on stage & Elina's performance was more polished, less random camera shots. :) Wasn't enough to get them that many votes tho'. Would have thought they'd be near the top 3, not the bottom 3. :LOL: Guess it comes to show name alone isn't enough to reach the top & their songs just weren't strong enough this time around.

If they tweak & polish the performance some more, I think Stefan stands a decent chance of making the final. :) No guarantees, but there's hope. :LOL: Could he possibly reach top 10 in the final and keep up our top-10-every-3-years streak? Impossible to say at this point. Would be awesome, but even a place in the final would be nice. :D We shall have to wait and see what other countries bring to the table. Hope they release the full votes soon so we can see what happened in the semis! Were Minimal Wind that popular from the start or did they pick up steam along the way? Did anyone do great in the semis only to fade in the final? :unsure:

shameless

I have to say I always found Stefans entrances super-bland and this is no difference. Yet it is probably the best chance for EE to qualify this year which they should given their track-record of doing well every 3rd edition. In fact based on this logic they should make the top 10 again but I'm not sure. He's very sexy and has a good voice but it's all depending on his competition. For now I predict middlefield in the Grand Finale.

6/12

Fluke

On second listen, i think this song has a kind of dramatic quality. The melody really isn't bad, the spaghetti-western sound is a bit silly, and i really have a problem with his voice and pronounciation in the verses - it's like he's trying to imitate some kind of weird American accent, plus it's in such a low range for him. If more of the song was like the final part, i would like it more.

Top Bottom