7 5.7%

4 3.3%

11 8.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

hpp0

I had listened to the live performance when it got selected and I thought that it was so messy that I couldn't concentrate at all and I thought it was whatever.

Now that I listened to the studio version, it's not that bad. I would even say that I actually like the verses and the chorus is decent except from those repetitive "loving me more parts". If they get their act together, completely change the performance and present a more coherent one, it could perhaps do decently.

I'll give it a :6:. I like it more than Albania which is the base for me, but there is lots of room for improvement.

lilka

That's always the problem... like with UK 2023. I think I don't want to hear that live of Pedestal you are talking about, not to get dissatisfied. :(

Marcos C

The live performance of "Pedestal" in ESCZ was 2:20 long. Aiko said that she is looking into revamping the song, which may include extending the song to 3:00.

Surely

I love this song, and it's the kind of thing I want to see more of in the post-Maneskin era. It's raw, punchy, and relatable (who hasn't needed to shout for the end of a co-dependent relationship?). The lyrics are effectively blunt. The intensity builds and builds until its released in those final yelps (my favorite 5 seconds of the season so far). It could fit right into a playlist from the glory days of alternative rock radio. I would actually classify it as straight-up punk, not even pop-punk. The question is whether the rawer sort of punk is really suitable for Eurovision. It's not performance showcase material; it's a song for the audience to sing along with, as I do when I'm alone in my car :) I found her ESCZ performance flawed, but still effective-- it brought the energy and personality I wanted. But it needs work. She needs to strike a balance that keeps that blistering energy without running around too much; that recognizes that some shouting is essential, but again, not too much. And oh my, she should not do that blood-curdling scream again. I have some trepidations about the revamp-- I hope she's getting sound advice. I don't think the song needs another 40 seconds, for example. So for right now, I give this song a 10, and hope for the best with the changes.

boyardor

Totally off topic, but this song is absolutely amazing. Sirény (Sirens) by Eva Burešová (competed in ESCZ 2018)

theditz83

Veteran
I dunno, this song - for whatever reason - just makes me think of how I felt when I first heard San Marino 2023. It just sounded like a mess of a song (especially from the live performance) that wasn't made for me, but I figured other people must get it (which I can see is the case in this thread).

I'm trying not to get too bogged down in studio versions this year and going by live versions first and foremost, as that's what makes a difference in the actual contest. And from that point of view, she has a lot of work to do (although better sound-mixing and production standards than the ESCZ NF would go some way to helping with that I reckon).

But I don't think I'll ever completely gel with this song - it just sounds like it's trying to be a tribute to late-90s emo-skater punk for me, which leaves it sounding a bit too dated for my taste.

Surely

Totally off topic, but this song is absolutely amazing. Sirény (Sirens) by Eva Burešová (competed in ESCZ 2018)
That's really good! I'll have to add her to the list of ESCZ artists who I think need to come back, which is already quite long for a new-ish and small selection.

I love this song, and it's the kind of thing I want to see more of in the post-Maneskin era. It's raw, punchy, and relatable (who hasn't needed to shout for the end of a co-dependent relationship?). The lyrics are effectively blunt. The intensity builds and builds until its released in those final yelps (my favorite 5 seconds of the season so far). It could fit right into a playlist from the glory days of alternative rock radio. I would actually classify it as straight-up punk, not even pop-punk. The question is whether the rawer sort of punk is really suitable for Eurovision. It's not performance showcase material; it's a song for the audience to sing along with, as I do when I'm alone in my car :) I found her ESCZ performance flawed, but still effective-- it brought the energy and personality I wanted. But it needs work. She needs to strike a balance that keeps that blistering energy without running around too much; that recognizes that some shouting is essential, but again, not too much. And oh my, she should not do that blood-curdling scream again. I have some trepidations about the revamp-- I hope she's getting sound advice. I don't think the song needs another 40 seconds, for example. So for right now, I give this song a 10, and hope for the best with the changes.

I'm not positive that she can pull off something like this, it takes more craftiness in punk (sound) production and more identity to hit the spot you've been speaking about

I totally forgot how cool these lyrics are haha

I'm just a girl in the world
That's all that you'll let me be

Oh, I'm just a girl, living in captivity
Your rule of thumb makes me worrisome
Oh, I'm just a girl, what's my destiny?
What I've succumbed to is making me numb
Oh, I'm just a girl, my apologies
What I've become is so burdensome
Oh, I'm just a girl, lucky me
Twiddle-dum, there's no comparison

Surely

I'm not positive that she can pull off something like this, it takes more craftiness in punk (sound) production and more identity to hit the spot you've been speaking about

I'm not either, but at least some of the changes are obvious (don't jog around so much, do the yelps like on record and not the ESCZ scream). I feel a bit like the dog that caught the car with this one-- "OK, you got the kind of music you love at Eurovision; now watch it fail!"

hungo

even without knowing the other songs I am quite sure that Czechia will not reach the final. 2 points

I'm not either, but at least some of the changes are obvious (don't jog around so much, do the yelps like on record and not the ESCZ scream). I feel a bit like the dog that caught the car with this one-- "OK, you got the kind of music you love at Eurovision; now watch it fail!"

I'm digging into last sentence totally 😆

boyardor

gingerale

Pedestal is going to have live drumms! Sounds so good xheart

Problems is that all instruments are on the backing track. Can someone inform her?

boyardor

Pot 5 for Czechia. How unexpected…

Top Bottom