Contact us

Czech Republic CZECH REPUBLIC 2015 - Marta Jandová & Václav Noid Bárta - Hope Never Dies

How do you rate the entry?

48 22.6%

23 10.8%

29 13.7%

18 8.5%

20 9.4%

13 6.1%

15 7.1%

16 7.5%

7 3.3%

8 3.8%

15 7.1%

• Total voters

Milos-BC

This was robbed :( They were phenomenal.

Yet, I felt it could end like this, as the song doesn't really catch on the first listening. But still.......... :( This is one of the biggest injustices of this year's ESC.

Dutchball

They are what Israel was last year - both had a great song, had a great performance yet both didn't qualify to the final. I'm still asking myself why the (in my opinion) mediocre songs of Cyprus and Poland qualified and this didn't. Hope you come back in 2016 Czech Rep! I love your song! :cz:

Rusch

Face it: I a competition that strong it will happen, that good songs won't qualify. Maybe we should get used to it. This year most of the countries to the contest very serious and sent good songs. Songs like this one.

Ritararita

After few days of mourning, I started to see things more positively and now I strongly believe that Czech Republic will not withdraw. Thing that makes me believe that hope is not completely dead (more like in a coma) is that despite non-qualifying, Marta and Václav gained very positive reactions from Czech public, whether it is on social sites, in YouTube comments or (believe it or not) in the press.

Yes, grumpy Czech journalists still keep mocking Eurovision and more or less apparent political aspects of it, but I noticed that the same people tend to write about it more mercifully after they watched the show, clearly realizing that era of joke entries like Verka Serduchka & co. is gone. Now they seem to be better informed about the contest and most of them agree that performance of our duo was nothing we should be ashamed of. With one notorious exception from Idnes.cz who still thinks that Eurovision is a relict of the past and needs to be canceled, the journalists usually end their articles with hope that next time we could be more successful. I think this implication that they accepted Czech participation in ESC and preassume it will continue, is a first good sign.

What is even better, is reaction of normal people. The viewing figures were not great, but from what I can see around me, many people just didn´t know about it (damned ČT´s lack of promo again), but they are curious about it and satisfied with Czech representation. I still can see people sharing Hope Never Dies on Facebook etc. All this is very different from the general angriness, bitterness and embarrassment I can remember from years 2007-2009. There certainly IS interest in Eurovision now and I don´t think ČT will dare to say there´s not. Marta and Václav are even on front page of new issue of quite popular magazine Instinkt and it doesn´t look like they are going to write about them as if they were pathetic losers.

eG23s9I.jpg

arlekino

They were quite good I believe. The only minus of the performance was the wtf moment when she did that with her shoes. I would have chosen a different dress for her also. He was really good. That voice had strange effects over me. hahah

Sammy

Veteran
I'm very sad for the czech republic. They are great singers and their song was far more interesting than Poland. In my ranking they were also better classified than Latvia, but these songs are hardly comparable. If you like the style, than Latvia was for sure sublime. But Poland.... that was pretty much the same genre but I'd have preferred the czech song.

Krishoes

I want :cz: next year. And I know that is not always a good decision... but if hope never dies, I hope that we will see this wonderful and talented couple on the stage again, to gain what they've lost this year.

GRE

I want :cz: next year. And I know that is not always a good decision... but if hope never dies, I hope that we will see this wonderful and talented couple on the stage again, to gain what they've lost this year.

I don't think they 'll become a new Valentina Monetta.
It's over for them.

Krishoes

I don't think they 'll become a new Valentina Monetta.
It's over for them.

I don't think too but Hope never dies, so Mayyyyyyybe

GRE

Stupid juries did again their "miracle", by saving Azerbaijan and leave Czech Repiblic out of the Final.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I still can't get over the juries. I've defended the juries to the death on this forum and elsewhere, but not putting this through after the performance Marta and Václav gave for them is positively shameful.

GRE

I still can't get over the juries. I've defended the juries to the death on this forum and elsewhere, but not putting this through after the performance Marta and Václav gave for them is positively shameful.

Juries this year destroyed 3 of my favorite entries: Italy-Estonia-Czech Republic. :(

Pawhlen

I have to agree here, the juries are needed but their punishment for :it:, :ee: and :cz: is xfacepalm xfacepalm xfacepalm

tuorem

I'll do my review of the song later, but I wanted to write something because I've just watched the meet & greet video and Marta is just out-of-this-world, she's so funny, natural and honest! xfaint Gosh! And she is totally aware of the bad reputation the Czech media give to the contest, unfortunately they weren't proven wrong this year :(

tuorem

Time for me to review the Czech entry this year :D

Marta Jandová & Václav Noid Bárta - Hope Never Dies

Song: Finally, I get to review Czech Republic that came back after their last participation in 2009 with "Aven Romale", a song that I didn't like at all but that didn't deserve to be dead last I think xthink So, with their surprise return, I thought they would certainly have something good in mind, but considering their really poor history in the contest, I didn't want to expect too much from them and be disappointed afterwards, When the singers were announced, I started getting a good feeling because these were accomplished and known artists, and when the title was revealed, its unusualness was foretelling a quality song to me (like "When The Music Dies"). So with these few pieces of informations, I had to wait until the semi 2 to listen to the actual song for the first time... and I was slayed tbh xheat First, the melody is dramatic, sad and beautiful. I totally approve of how it goes crescendo without actually being over the top, I think the pace of the chorus is unusual and definitely shows their rock music roots. I like that their voices succeed each other during the verses and then unite during the second part of the chorus, this song has so much power. And what totally makes me go crazy are the subtle "medieval-like" arrangements made here and there throughout the song, I love it, it's so epic and mystic. The lyrics are also particularly well written imo, it totally matches the mood of the music. This song could perfectly be part of a musical or be the soundtrack of a knights and dragons movie. It exceeded all the expectations I could have, I love it.

Voice: amazing performers. Václav's voice is the most striking due to its charming hoarse tone, while Marta's is pure, clear and expressive. That duo (and duet) works for me. Awesome performance in the semi, even if the live standards were rather good this year, their vocals are above the rest imo. xheat

Staging: I don't remember the presentation that much tbh. The most iconic moment was Marta throwing her heels :eek: that detail made the performance even more dramatic and memorable strangely :mrgreen: I also dig their outfits, that's how I wanted them to look like on stage.

Outcome: Excuse me? :? I know we're talking about Czech Republic but still, this deserved a fu*king place in the final! :mad: Biggest disappointment of this edition, and that awkward moment when I realized people voted for it and juries liked Azerbaijan (and some other questionable entries) better :lol: I didn't know if I had to laugh or cry tbh. Best Czech entry ever (which does not say much obviously) but also my second favourite song of this year, Czech Republic is 2nd in my top 5 xheat Děkuji dear Česká republika for this poignant song you sent to the contest :oops: I could have lived with Prague 2016 tbh. Hopefully, you will still be there next year. But you were robbed big time imo :( That's very sad.

Top Bottom