Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcos C

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
It's still July and we already got the first scandal this ESC season! ^^

Reports say that ERT is concerned by Fame Story being produced in Greece to the point that they are threatening to withdraw from the EBU if Cyprus doesn’t change their plans. The EBU have sent a letter asking for an explanation, although they haven’t yet made a decision on whether Cyprus is breaking any rules.

If the EBU does uphold the Greek broadcaster’s complaint, however, Cyprus risks being banned from the Eurovision Song Contest if they do not make changes to their national selection format. It’s the first time that Greece has ever taken such a step against Cyprus, a country with which they have exceptionally strong political and cultural ties.

I honestly don't think it's a breach of the rules - Why should it be forbidden to partly organise a NF abroad? - #mess

hungo

It's still July and we already got the first scandal this ESC season! ^^

I honestly don't think it's a breach of the rules - Why should it be forbidden to partly organise a NF abroad? - #mess
Of course this is not a break of the rules.

Nicholas123

From what i read, it's a matter of copyrights. No other broadcaster or private company than ERT has the right to use the brand name "Eurovision" in Greece. Makes sense to me. I guess this is the reason why in Fame Story's trailer the word "Eurovision" is not mentioned at all. :mrgreen:
Seriously, though, i'll be very happy for :cy: if they decide to drop this hideous show of this horrible man as their selection process for their next representatve. It'll a victory for them. :D xcheer

Last edited:

JohnArg

EBU's new rules
"The organisation of the national selection of each EBU member must not violate the exclusivity of the rights of the participants of the other participating broadcasters of the other countries. Each national selection of a representative for Eurovision should be undertaken and organised under the exclusive control of each participating broadcaster. The organisation and production may not be subcontracted, except with the prior approval of the EBU. The national selections must be organised and televised nationally in the participating broadcaster’s country and on the participating broadcaster’s own EBU member channel."

https://eurovisionfun.com/en/2023/08...sponse-to-ebu/

shameless

Good to know. I would've found it weird too someone's winning a casting show in one country and represent another one. However wasn't it that the losers of Operacíon Triunfo were getting a wildcard to represent Andorra at some point?

Nicholas123

Seems they have changed their plans. Rather audacious of them to begin with to decide to do their NF on another countries programming. :LOL:

Oh, i got my hopes up for a moment that RIK got rid of this horrible man's TV show, but according to this article the :cy: representative will be selected internally (i guess it will be the winner of Fame Story) and then the Cypriot audience will get the opportunity to select the song.

Oh, well...

njdevils94

Veteran
Oh, i got my hopes up for a moment that RIK got rid of this horrible man's TV show, but according to this article the :cy: representative will be selected internally (i guess it will be the winner of Fame Story) and then the Cypriot audience will get the opportunity to select the song.

Oh, well...
First hot mess NF of the 2024 ESC season. xheat

shameless

Participants of Fame Story will be recommended for participation in January's national final; however, other artists will also be competing in the national final.

Cyprus: ‘Fame Story’ Dropped as National Selection With New Selection in January? (Eurovoix)
Yeah, that is a half cooked idea. Watch the NF being full of Fame Story participations and one other singer and that other singer wins just for the fun of it. :D
When Stefan Raab did his first Casting Show to find Max Mutzke it was also just an "unofficial" pre-selection where the winner could qualify for a Wildcard for the NF (because it was decided by record sales). However there he the popular underdog against Ralph Siegel and all the other usual suspects so that it was nearly sure he would win (which he did). That later became the official NF where eventually Lena and Roman Lob won.
However that was 20 years ago when Casting Shows where the big thing whereas now it seems that everyone perceives it more realistic. If they do let only newcomers, young contestants compete this will not have a good look on them mostly filling the NF lineup.

rasmuslights

Veteran
So why did some sites report that it will be a nf with one internally selected artist that will sing multiple songs?

JohnArg

Internal selection for Cyprus eventually. They have already the artist and the song. Official announcements in the following days.

Top Bottom